View Poll Results: What Pratchett should I re-read?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Discworld: Rincewind

0 0%
  • Discworld: Witches

2 40.00%
  • Discworld: The Watch

4 80.00%
  • Discworld: The Wizards

0 0%
  • Discworld: Tiffany Aching

1 20.00%
  • Discworld: Death

1 20.00%
  • Discworld: Not part of a group

2 40.00%
  • Bromeliad series, the Nomes

0 0%
  • Johnny Maxwell

1 20.00%
  • Good Omens

1 20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Trebuchet needs to re-read some Pratchett!

Trebuchet needs to re-read some Pratchett!

Maybe re-re-read, in some cases. What should it be?

ETA: Multiple choice available!
    Last edited by Trebuchet; 2021-Jul-02 at 11:00 PM.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Not on the list. Strata.

Grant Hutchison
    Science Denier and Government Sponsored Propagandist. Here to help.
    Blog

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Not on the list. Strata.
    Ah, the very early work. I liked Pratchett, especially the earlier books, but I eventually burned out on Diskworld stories. I only reread a few earlier works and havenít read any of them for some time, so I donít have any specific recommendations. I do fondly remember the Luggage (appropriately capitalized) following Rincewind around and causing much trouble. Didnít care for Good Omens at all, though. It just didnít work for me, though I know many think it is great. I suspect it has to do with the heavy connection to certain religious notions in the story. My family wasnít terribly religious and there are a lot of common mainstream religious concepts that I just didnít have much contact with. Iím still learning specialized terms I find that are related to (for instance) Catholicism.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." ó Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Strata was an interesting book. I read it only after reading a few early Discworlds, so it was fascinating to see its antecedent.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    Didn’t care for Good Omens at all, though. It just didn’t work for me, though I know many think it is great. I suspect it has to do with the heavy connection to certain religious notions in the story. My family wasn’t terribly religious and there are a lot of common mainstream religious concepts that I just didn’t have much contact with. I’m still learning specialized terms I find that are related to (for instance) Catholicism.
    Good Omens is the only other Pratchett-involved novel I still have on the shelves here at Bedside Manor, though I suspect that's because it's not entirely Pratchett. My family were likewise not particularly religious, but in adulthood my interest in moral philosophy led me into the convoluted fascinations of philosophical theology. (Possibly the only field of human thought less popular than philosophy on this forum.)
    I do have a warm feeling about having read the Johnny Maxwell novels, but no great urge to read them again.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Not on the list. Strata.

Grant Hutchison
    I was unaware of it! And am only finding it on Kindle in German.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I was unaware of it! And am only finding it on Kindle in German.
    Hmmm. American Amazon is weird--it's available for download in the UK.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

I actually read the Graphic Novel version of The Fifth Elephant before anything else. It was my "gateway drug" to Pratchett.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

I first encountered Pratchett with Strata in 1981. (I know this because I recall reading it during long evenings on call during my Medicine For The Elderly job--I have a curiously good memory for the context in which I first read memorable books.)
    I read The Dark Side Of The Sun after that (can't recall anything about that one), and then the first few Discworld novels before parting company with him.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

I'm reasonably sure I read Strata and/or Dark Side of the Sun some time back in the early '90s. (I'm pretty much exactly his daughter's age, so I didn't read the earliest of the books as they were written!) Then in high school, Mort, which I think is a much better place to start the series than The Color of Magic.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Why is there no "all" option?

CJSF
    "I like the stories
    About angels, unicorns and elves
    Now I like those stories
    As much as anybody else
    But when I'm seeking knowledge
    Either simple or abstract
    The facts are with science"

-They Might Be Giants, "Science Is Real"

lonelybirder.org

I started Good Omens last evening. On the poll, only The Watch has more than one vote. Unfortunately those are the ones I read most recently.

I'm thinking about getting Zane started on The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents. I think he might like the first couple of Tiffany books, but I think the last couple would be a bit above him.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

I have to admit that "Maurice" and other non-series Discworld books are pretty much my least favorites.

Maurice isn't much my favourite, either, but it's the best one to read when you're eight, I think. But the Moist books come under that heading, too, by your system, and I like those a fair amount. Also Small Gods and Pyramids.

"You can't erase icing."

Actually, I forgot the Moist ones in the poll! I enjoyed them a good deal. Small Gods and Pyramids, not so much.

I enjoyed Soul Music and Moving Pictures.

FYI: Tapatalk on smart phones does not show polls; only browsers such as Chrome or Safari will show a poll.

My two favorite subsets are the Watch - Guards! Guards! is the book that got me into Discworld - and the witches. Plus the "Industrial Revolution" books - except for Raising Steam - are excellent to brilliant.
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

As someone who needs to read it all for the first time, I'm unable to provide valuable suggestions.

Have to agree on "Raising Steam". It was a bit forced, and too much tech development out of nowhere.

I like the later books, but not everything about the later books. (Except maybe the Tiffany books, which remain high-quality.) I like Raising Steam, but I don't like what he does with Willikins.

"You can't erase icing."

Is Willikins the butler, who turns into some sort of berserker warrior? Yup. Too much the opposite of the stereotype.

It was fun when Willikins was just the former street kid who became a butler, but Willikins the sociopath?

"You can't erase icing."