Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Windows 11

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    2,025

    Windows 11

    And here I "thought" that W10 was the last. I guess th lure of more income was too great for MS.

    https://mail.yahoo.com/d/folders/1/m...=invalid_crumb

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    21,453
    Quote Originally Posted by bknight View Post
    And here I "thought" that W10 was the last. I guess th lure of more income was too great for MS.

    https://mail.yahoo.com/d/folders/1/m...=invalid_crumb
    The link goes to the Yahoo! mail login page.
    I'm guessing you're posting about Windows 11, which is supposedly going to be pushed out as an "up"grade to Windows 10?
    Apparently it's going to "empower your productivity and inspire your creativity". (Read, "we're going to integrate more stuff that is both useless and harder to disable.")
    I forsee another epic struggle to prevent Microsoft installing it against my wishes.

    Grant Hutchison
    Science Denier and Government Sponsored Propagandist. Here to help.
    Blog

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    2,025
    Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    The link goes to the Yahoo! mail login page.
    I'm guessing you're posting about Windows 11, which is supposedly going to be pushed out as an "up"grade to Windows 10?
    Apparently it's going to "empower your productivity and inspire your creativity". (Read, "we're going to integrate more stuff that is both useless and harder to disable.")
    I forsee another epic struggle to prevent Microsoft installing it against my wishes.

    Grant Hutchison
    I read it as an email, sorry. But I suppose you are correct.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    The Great NorthWet
    Posts
    17,824
    I'm still waiting for Windows 9....
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Clear Lake City, TX
    Posts
    13,217
    IIRC, Win10 was touted as the "final" Windows operating system. It would be kept evergreen through (near constant) updates but would never, ever be replaced. This was IT. Full stop.

    Now Microsoft is introducing Win11. It will not simply upgrade Win10, it will replace it completely. But, many apps which run on 10 will NOT run on 11. And many PCs which can run Win10 will NOT be able to run Win11 (but don't ask MS which ones can and can't 'cause they don't know).

    Makes sense to me.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

    You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

    Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    21,453
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    But, many apps which run on 10 will NOT run on 11. And many PCs which can run Win10 will NOT be able to run Win11 (but don't ask MS which ones can and can't 'cause they don't know).
    This was always going to happen, in some way or another. I always wondered how they'd manage the eventual and inevitable Windows 10 updates that broke compatibilities or needed newer hardware. Now we know. I'm actually quite glad they're doing it this way instead, since it saves a bit of hassle.
    For me, one interesting thing will be how hard they force the requirement for a Microsoft account when setting up a new machine with Windows 11 preinstalled. (I've no interest in inflicting their free upgrade on my current machines.)
    At present in Windows 10 it's possible to subvert the forced "create a Microsoft account" process and set up a local account only, but it requires a little ingenuity, and Microsoft seem keen not to mention it as a possibility.

    Grant Hutchison
    Science Denier and Government Sponsored Propagandist. Here to help.
    Blog

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    The beautiful north coast (Ohio)
    Posts
    50,945
    I split the Windows 11 discussion out of the Windows 10 thread. Please continue the W11 discussion here, at least up to the announcement of Windows 12.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

    All moderation in purple - The rules

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Clear Lake City, TX
    Posts
    13,217
    What Windows 11 means: We'll be stuck with millions of Windows 10 zombies

    But here's the part that got my attention: Windows 11 won't run on many current Windows machines. Despite Ed's herculean efforts to get Microsoft to commit to clarifying their corporate double-speak, we're not entirely sure what that means. ...

    What does that mean for you and me? It means that many machines will be left behind. They will become the walking dead, unable to upgrade, but still shambling along. ...
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/techn...gsp&li=BBnb7Kz

    Oh, joy.

    (The article has a link to a more technical discussion of the issues.)
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

    You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

    Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    2,025
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    What Windows 11 means: We'll be stuck with millions of Windows 10 zombies



    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/techn...gsp&li=BBnb7Kz

    Oh, joy.

    (The article has a link to a more technical discussion of the issues.)
    But of course MS needs the revenue and probably gets funding from other companies writing to Win??. Hardware needs to be upgraded etc. I'll pass for a minimum of one year to allow them time to work out bugs.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    The beautiful north coast (Ohio)
    Posts
    50,945
    Good article Jim. For me, the big thing about upgrading is cost and hassle. I don't want to pay for new hardware just because Windows has a new version, no matter what features it has (and updates to all software usually have more features I hate or couldn't care less about, than features I want or need). And even if I spend the money, there is the hassle of moving things from the old machine to the new.

    For me, there are usually two drivers that ultimately push me over. One is that the computer just gets old and cranky and it is time to replace (I also put 100k to 200k on cars I buy before I replace them). The second is software forces me to go to the new operating system, particularly software I have little control over, like browsers.

    Quote Originally Posted by bknight View Post
    But of course MS needs the revenue and probably gets funding from other companies writing to Win??. Hardware needs to be upgraded etc. I'll pass for a minimum of one year to allow them time to work out bugs.
    Yes. I never install version x.0 of anything.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

    All moderation in purple - The rules

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    21,453
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    What Windows 11 means: We'll be stuck with millions of Windows 10 zombies



    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/techn...gsp&li=BBnb7Kz

    Oh, joy.

    (The article has a link to a more technical discussion of the issues.)
    Heh. I'm responsible for three of those millions of zombie XP machines. They're air-gapped in various ways and I do most of my productive work on them, so they're not going anywhere soon.

    A couple of good things about Windows 11, though--no Cortana and no Timeline! I had to beat Cortana to death with a stick when I first used Windows 10, though it's become easier to uninstall in more recent updates, I hear.

    Grant Hutchison
    Science Denier and Government Sponsored Propagandist. Here to help.
    Blog

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    21,453
    Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    For me, there are usually two drivers that ultimately push me over. One is that the computer just gets old and cranky and it is time to replace (I also put 100k to 200k on cars I buy before I replace them). The second is software forces me to go to the new operating system, particularly software I have little control over, like browsers.
    I'll generally replace components or do a factory reset and clean reinstallation to keep my old machines running. Software tends to keep me using old machines, rather than driving me to update--all my XPs are running legacy software that's important to me. What browser problems have you had to make you update?

    I'll update only when the operating system on our internet machines ceases to be supported, and I often push that along for a while until my antimalware software ceases to support the old operating system.

    Grant Hutchison
    Science Denier and Government Sponsored Propagandist. Here to help.
    Blog

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    The beautiful north coast (Ohio)
    Posts
    50,945
    Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    I'll generally replace components or do a factory reset and clean reinstallation to keep my old machines running. Software tends to keep me using old machines, rather than driving me to update--all my XPs are running legacy software that's important to me. What browser problems have you had to make you update?

    I'll update only when the operating system on our internet machines ceases to be supported, and I often push that along for a while until my antimalware software ceases to support the old operating system.

    Grant Hutchison
    Yeah, good point. Both of our machines (mine and my wife's) are internet machines. 80% of what I do at home is browsing the internet; I don't bother with another machine for anything else. Probably not the browser that most often forces the issue. It certainly isn't some ancient version of Office I run; I just as soon not have the current version. Probably the anti-virus / anti-malware. Either that or a game that I like, though I don't update those often either, and the games I like are usually not hardware intense. But it always seems that I get to a point that some piece of software or two or three will start being a problem under the older operating system (like won't load updates or bug fixes), and I'll get into "well, I better do it, it will only get worse" mode.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

    All moderation in purple - The rules

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    569
    You're doomed to suffer sooner or later if you let a single company control your operating system. Linux isn't owned by anyone. Use it.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Central Florida.
    Posts
    6,219
    Hey, 11 is an odd number. That means a good Windows version.
    It's like the Star Trek movies, only in reverse.


  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    The Great NorthWet
    Posts
    17,824
    Except they skipped from 8 to 10, so 10 is really nine and 11 is ten. An even number.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Central Florida.
    Posts
    6,219
    I thought that they had to skip 9 because "10" didn't deserve an odd number, if you know what I mean.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    21,453
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainToonces View Post
    You're doomed to suffer sooner or later if you let a single company control your operating system. Linux isn't owned by anyone. Use it.
    If only it were that simple.

    Grant Hutchison
    Science Denier and Government Sponsored Propagandist. Here to help.
    Blog

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Depew, NY
    Posts
    12,833
    Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    I thought that they had to skip 9 because "10" didn't deserve an odd number, if you know what I mean.
    I'm pretty sure there are 2 system 9's out in the wild. One is for Mac OS9 and the other is just System 9 for industrial machines. Then there are a bunch of companies called System 9. MS probably didn't want to climb in the muddy water.
    Solfe

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •