Thread: Good sciam article

Good sciam article

ETI uses probes, not starships or radio.
    https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...ally-are-here/
    SHARKS (crossed out) MONGEESE (sic) WITH FRICKIN' LASER BEAMS ATTACHED TO THEIR HEADS

Um, not a good article.

ETI uses nothing that we know of, because we know nothing about ETI. Including whether there is any.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    Um, not a good article.

ETI uses nothing that we know of, because we know nothing about ETI. Including whether there is any.
    I guess we should make you an editor of Scientific American so you can tell them whatís right and wrong. I donít feel so qualified.
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    I guess we should make you an editor of Scientific American so you can tell them what’s right and wrong. I don’t feel so qualified.
    Everyone's qualified to express an opinion.

Everyone's qualified to express an opinion.
    As above, so below

Um, not a good article.

The title of the article contains the word "maybe"...

I'm not asking anyone to agree with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mazanec View Post
    ETI uses probes, not starships or radio.
    https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...ally-are-here/
    The article covers ideas that are very close to what Iíve thought about for some time. That is: If a long lived technological ET civilization exists and wants to explore space, space probes would be a key tool for detailed examination of other systems. And that suggests a different SETI strategy in looking for signals, as we might intercept an in-system probeís transmissions, which requires a different kind of signal search.

For a long lived civilization, interstellar space probes donít need to travel very fast - heck, they donít need to travel much faster than what we can manage now. However, it would be important that they have greater longevity than our current probes, and reasonable self repair would be extremely valuable. We are well on the way to developing that. The article talks a bit about space probes with advanced AI, but I usually think more about hardware that doesnít require too many leaps beyond what we can build now.

But much like the article suggests, I would think systems with life bearing planets would be more likely to warrant special attention, so there could be sentinels watching developing life on Earth. At the same time, it could be quite some time before the sentinels could contact an ETís home system(s).

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." ó Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser