Thread: Interesting alternate biosphere idea on Twitter

Interesting alternate biosphere idea on Twitter

I'm having a conversation with a guy on Twitter about a potential biosphere.

A rogue planet, or, more likely in this scenario, a small brown dwarf, orbited by two planets or moons. Each is about the size of the Earth, the innermost is a super-Io, so torn by tidal forces that it exists as a permanent sea of lava. The other is kneaded a little less, but as a result has an atmosphere and surface water. Could the light from the inner moon provide enough energy for a form of photosynthesis? Such as that which is hypothesised to exist around red dwarfs?
    "Occam" is the name of the alien race that will enslave us all eventually. And they've got razors for hands. I don't know if that's true but it seems like the simplest answer."

Stephen Colbert.

Even a moon or planet with a totally molten surface, would not give off anywhere near the light and heat of the dimmest red dwarf star. Even the Brown Dwarf it orbits would likely far outshine that inner moon.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

What if it was made of molten metal, rather than rock?
    "Occam" is the name of the alien race that will enslave us all eventually. And they've got razors for hands. I don't know if that's true but it seems like the simplest answer."

Stephen Colbert.

Quote Originally Posted by parallaxicality View Post
    Would that make a difference? The amount of tidal energy pumped into it would still be the same.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by parallaxicality View Post
    Just to add what Noclevername said, to a great extent, all that matters is the temperature of the object, and not the composition.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules