Thread: Mentioning brand names in reviews vs. advertising

Mentioning brand names in reviews vs. advertising

I wanted to check with moderators on thoughts about mentioning names of brands when reviewing or discussing your experience with it. Sometimes Iíve thought of mentioning, for instance, a name for a frozen pizza or salad dressing I actually like but Iím a bit leery if it might look like advertising. But Iíve also seen names mentioned for brand name tools and such in discussions, so itís clear there is no blanket restriction.

So basically Iím looking for a general rule on what is okay versus what isnít or needs a check-in with moderators before posting. Thanks!

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." ó Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

You lookin' at me, Van?

Obviously, I don't have a problem with folks mentioning brand names and sharing their opinions so long as it doesn't cross the line into advertising. Where's that line? I wish I could point to it but there are so many ways to advertise, I think it very much depends on the case at hand. Things I tend to keep in mind:

• Frequency of posts/links about the product?
    • Hype language or exclusively positive comments?
    • Quoting promotional material from the manufacturer/vendor?
    • Does it look, sound, and/or smell like a sales presentation?
    • Is a link pitched or simply offered?

Not an exclusive or definitive list, of course. I've PMed many people about borderline posts and most of them didn't respond because they turned out be benign seagulls or out-and-out spammers. I've rarely had to raise the issue with regulars. If your post is balanced, reasonable, and conversational, I don't think you'll have a problem.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. ó Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Iíd also suggest another criteria, which is, when known, whether the person has an interest in it. For example, if the person gets a reward for advertising a brand or whether the person wrote the book they are publicizing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    You lookin' at me, Van?
    I’ve been thinking about asking the question for awhile, but yes, a certain post reminded me about it.

Okay, your comments give me an idea of what you are looking for, thanks.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." ó Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

I'll mention two other criteria that I will consider. One is who is posting it. If Van Rijn or Jens or another established member posts it, I'm not going to think much about it. If a new user in their first or second post starts posting about how great Brand X is, they'll probably get banned as a spammer.

The other is context. If the post is relevant to the thread, like what brand tool do you like in the DIY thread, or a funny advertisement you saw for Product XY in the Trivial Stuff that Amuses thread, I'm also not going to think much about it. Random proclamation of product greatness in unrelated threads is going to probably trigger some moderation.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

If like something, I tend to run afoul of item 2, "Hype language or exclusively positive comments". That one's kind of powerful, but I usually put in a line about not being affiliated with brand x or don't exactly say the name. More importantly, don't drop a link to product x from this site to the named item.

If I like something, I say so. But just once, so it doesn't look like an ad. I'll mention that it isn't an ad.

Also knowing the audience is helpful. I don't even think twice about naming museums, scholarly group, science themed books and authors and stuff like that. It's inline with with the forum's purpose. And it's also very unlikely that someone would go out of their way to obtain an item or engage in these activities, especially if its something of only local interest. My main intent is to talk to other posters about cool things they do, and use cool things I've experiences as a ice-breaker. If the subject I mention never comes up again, that's perfect.

If I don't like something, well, I either keep that to myself or don't mention the name at all.
    Solfe