Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 34

Thread: 2020 Year in Review

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Klang, Malaysia
    Posts
    8,826

    2020 Year in Review

    We are almost at year end and the 1st space I have seen is out.

    https://edition.cnn.com/2020/12/24/w...rnd/index.html

    This year has been a tough one no matter where you live in the world, but discoveries beyond our planet and dazzling images of the cosmos provided a bright spot in 2020.

    Astronauts continued to safely travel to space, despite the pandemic, and even embarked on historic launches. And they taught us how to handle isolation.
    We learned more about our little corner of the universe as well as the vast reaches beyond it studded with strange stars -- and even stranger exoplanets.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Klang, Malaysia
    Posts
    8,826
    2020's top space highlights from Yahoo news

    https://malaysia.news.yahoo.com/2020...111156926.html

    2020's top space highlights
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Klang, Malaysia
    Posts
    8,826
    Highlights for 2020 from ESA

    https://www.esa.int/ESA_Multimedia/V...ighlights_2020

    ESA highlights 2020
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    16,712
    2020 in Review: Good Riddance!
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nowhere (middle)
    Posts
    38,738
    Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    2020 in Review: Good Riddance!
    Yeah, but Space Exploration-wise, there was a lot going on.

    At least this year was good for something, to somebody.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Klang, Malaysia
    Posts
    8,826
    ABC news and their take on space in 2020

    https://abcnews.go.com/Technology/vi...-2020-74901763

    A look back at the space missions of 2020
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Klang, Malaysia
    Posts
    8,826
    Space Daily on their highlight 2020 in space.

    https://www.spacedaily.com/reports/M...space_999.html

    In 2020, the COVID-19 pandemic demanded the attention of thousands of scientists, but they had a lot to look in to, including vaccines and treatments for the novel coronavirus.

    Many scientists kept their attention on the skies, searching for answers to cosmic mysteries and preparing for the next chapter in the history of human spaceflight.

    Here are five of the most astounding space-related scientific breakthroughs and discoveries made over the last 12 months.

    These discoveries have set the stage for even more compelling advances in the year ahead - a year during which NASA hopes to fly a helicopter on Mars and send its first Artemis test flights to the moon.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    4,423
    Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    Yeah, but Space Exploration-wise, there was a lot going on.

    At least this year was good for something, to somebody.
    Yeah from the spaceflight point of view it was a pretty good year. Crew Dragon delivering astronauts to the ISS, Chang'e 5, Hayabusa 2, and SN08 nearly nailing the landing are probably the highlights for me.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    4,423
    Also found this short video, basically the year in review for Starship with the fates of SN01-SN08:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7Ik089A5nc

    Amazing to think they went from failed cryo tank test to 12.5km flight in 10 months.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Klang, Malaysia
    Posts
    8,826
    Forbes "Best Space Images Of 2020: A ‘Christmas Star’ And A ‘Comet Of The Century’ To A New Hubble Masterpiece"

    https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamieca...h=26025d392a65

    What was your favorite space photo of 2020? There were dozens to choose from, with Comet NEOWISE’s brief, bright and astounding appearance in summer surely one of the highlights. If that kept amateur astrophotographers busy, so did a couple of stunning solar eclipses and some close planetary conjunctions.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Klang, Malaysia
    Posts
    8,826
    "The 10 most bizarre space discoveries of 2020"

    https://newatlas.com/space/weird-ast...coveries-2020/

    It’s no secret that space is incredibly weird, but every year astronomers seem to outdo themselves in discovering bizarre new objects and events. From extreme exoplanets to stars with strange fates, clues to an old mystery and the beginnings of a brand new one, here are 10 of the weirdest astronomical discoveries that blew our minds (and those of scientists) this year.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Klang, Malaysia
    Posts
    8,826
    "Space 2020: A Year in Review"

    https://medium.com/predict/space-202...w-719ede2c405f

    As I reflect back on this year, I can’t help but ask myself, “isn’t 2020 over yet?” The pace might be glacial, but we’re getting there. Truthfully, it hasn’t been all bad. If you were fortunate enough to achieve escape velocity this year, there was a lot going on outside of Earth’s gravitational pull.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    19,691
    Wow, one thing I wouldn’t say about 2020 is that “the pace might be glacial.” Sure, there are some things I would have liked to see happen faster (like COVID-19 vaccine and treatment development) but realistically they really have been operating at warp speed. And as for space, with the number of things by the various countries and companies . . . Whhhoooooh! New and important things have been happening practically on a daily basis. I can think back when practically nothing significantly new happened in space or about space over a year. I’m excited about space again. We aren’t in a rut anymore. Things I hoped for, dreamed about, have a realistic chance of happening and not in some far off future. It’s wonderful.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Klang, Malaysia
    Posts
    8,826
    Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    Wow, one thing I wouldn’t say about 2020 is that “the pace might be glacial.” Sure, there are some things I would have liked to see happen faster (like COVID-19 vaccine and treatment development) but realistically they really have been operating at warp speed. And as for space, with the number of things by the various countries and companies . . . Whhhoooooh! New and important things have been happening practically on a daily basis. I can think back when practically nothing significantly new happened in space or about space over a year. I’m excited about space again. We aren’t in a rut anymore. Things I hoped for, dreamed about, have a realistic chance of happening and not in some far off future. It’s wonderful.
    Completely agree. As you say, not by one country but lots of them are into space in a big way. looking forward to next year
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Klang, Malaysia
    Posts
    8,826
    The Planetary Society's "The Year 2020 in Pictures"

    https://www.planetary.org/articles/t...20-in-pictures

    It was a tough year on planet Earth. The COVID-19 pandemic ravaged the globe while protesters around the world rallied to end systemic racism. Space exploration is an inherently optimistic endeavor. Amidst the year’s turmoil, we saw some truly awe-inspiring cosmic moments. In May, astronauts Bob Behnken and Doug Hurley flew a SpaceX Crew Dragon to the International Space Station and back, completing the first-ever commercial, crewed, orbital spaceflight. The mission rejuvenated our appreciation for the beauty and drama of human spaceflight.

    We were also inspired by the launch of 3 new Mars missions. Although the pandemic significantly slowed most space activities, technicians in multiple countries managed to meet a brief launch window that only comes around every 2 years when Mars and Earth are optimally aligned. The name of 2 missions, Perseverance and Hope, took on a whole new significance.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    4,423
    Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    Wow, one thing I wouldn’t say about 2020 is that “the pace might be glacial.”
    Maybe they were watching the SLS 'Green Run'?

    Sure, there are some things I would have liked to see happen faster (like COVID-19 vaccine and treatment development) but realistically they really have been operating at warp speed. And as for space, with the number of things by the various countries and companies . . . Whhhoooooh! New and important things have been happening practically on a daily basis. I can think back when practically nothing significantly new happened in space or about space over a year. I’m excited about space again. We aren’t in a rut anymore. Things I hoped for, dreamed about, have a realistic chance of happening and not in some far off future. It’s wonderful.
    Absolutely, the era of Mars always being 20 years away is over. As you say we are seeing progress almost on a daily basis and its wonderful.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Klang, Malaysia
    Posts
    8,826
    "China's Nation's space achievements out of this world"

    http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/a/20201...d0ba9ee38.html

    China's space industry has produced a remarkable scorecard this year: characterized by the nation's first independent Mars mission, the completion of a global navigation satellite network and a landmark adventure that retrieved rocks and soil from the moon.
    "In pics: China's science and technology achievements in 2020"

    http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/202...39600690_2.htm

    China's new large carrier rocket Long March-5B blasts off from Wenchang Space Launch Center in south China's Hainan Province, May 5, 2020, sending the trial version of China's new-generation manned spaceship and a cargo return capsule for test into space.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Klang, Malaysia
    Posts
    8,826
    "The 10 biggest spaceflight stories of 2020" from space.com

    https://www.space.com/biggest-spacef...tories-of-2020

    While 2020 was a difficult year around the world with the challenges that have come with the coronavirus pandemic, space continued to reach new heights.

    This year alone, two spacecraft grabbed precious samples from asteroids, human spaceflight saw a new spacecraft, NASA astronaut Christina Koch set a new record for longest duration spaceflight made by a woman and SpaceX took major leaps forward in commercial spaceflight with the first commercial crewed launches.

    Here's a rundown of the top 10 spaceflight stories that caught our attention this year.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Klang, Malaysia
    Posts
    8,826
    "SpaceX's very big year: A 2020 filled with astronaut launches, Starship tests and more"

    https://www.space.com/spacex-astrona...020-milestones

    Elon Musk's company launched 26 missions in 2020, breaking its previous calendar-year record of 21, which was set in 2018. This year's launches included SpaceX's 100th successful space mission overall, as well as the 100th of its workhorse Falcon 9 rocket.

    But the raw numbers tell only a tiny portion of the story. For example, two of SpaceX's launches this year sent astronauts to the International Space Station (ISS) aboard SpaceX Crew Dragon capsules — the first orbital crewed missions to lift off from the United States since NASA grounded its space shuttle fleet in 2011.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Klang, Malaysia
    Posts
    8,826
    "Russian cosmonauts’ team gets four new members in 2020"

    https://tass.com/science/1240851

    Four new members joined the Russian cosmonauts’ team in 2020, Gagarin Cosmonaut Training Center Chief Pavel Vlasov announced on Tuesday.

    "At the end of the year, four new members joined the team. I wish them success on the difficult way of training for space flights," he said in his New Year congratulation posted on the Center’s website.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Klang, Malaysia
    Posts
    8,826
    AmericaSpace "Year in Review 2020: Success and Failure (Part 1)"

    https://www.americaspace.com/2020/12...ailure-part-1/

    As the curtain finally falls on one of the worst and most tragic years in living memory, for the United States—in terms of space exploration, at least—2020 has been a banner dozen months, with launch vehicles lifting multiple payloads for multiple customers into multiple Earth orbits and despatching a pair of robotic explorers to the Sun and Mars.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Klang, Malaysia
    Posts
    8,826
    With all the launch success we have had, there was also a fair share of failures.

    "To all the rockets we lost in 2020 and what we learned from them"

    https://www.space.com/rocket-launch-failures-of-2020

    Launching rockets is hard. Most of the time we get it right, but sometimes unexpected things happen. Perhaps it's because of a stage failure or perhaps it's because of using a daring prototype, like SpaceX's Starship. But, as devastating as a failure can feel, it can help the teams behind these launches to learn and grow, helping them to continue to improve spaceflight.

    Below is a list of the craziest rocket explosions and failures of 2020 (not including situations where a rocket had an anomaly en route but was still able to reach orbit (such as SpaceX's Falcon 9 Starlink rocket launch of March 18) or the numerous launch aborts of 2020 due to situations like weather or technical issues).
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nowhere (middle)
    Posts
    38,738
    But, as devastating as a failure can feel, it can help the teams behind these launches to learn and grow, helping them to continue to improve spaceflight.
    That's why Musk et al are busting prototypes at such a rapid pace... and making progress at such a rapid pace. Expensive way to go, but ultimately worth the investment.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Klang, Malaysia
    Posts
    8,826
    BBC - "Space images: The best of 2020"

    https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-55057865

    There was stunning cosmic imagery to feast on in 2020, from Hubble's 30th birthday image to footage of a daring sample grab on an asteroid. Here's our pick of the year's offerings.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

  25. #25
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Central Virginia
    Posts
    2,254
    Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    2020 in Review: Good Riddance!
    unnamed.png
    ...and of course it's full of Murder Hornets

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Klang, Malaysia
    Posts
    8,826
    "China space exploration through a reporter's eyes" in 2020. video is about 5 minutes.

    https://news.cgtn.com/news/2020-12-3...mEU/index.html

    2020 has been a quite busy year for China's space program. In addition to dozens of key satellite missions, the country has also conducted its first ever collection of lunar samples and its own independent Mars exploration mission. Our reporter Wu Lei has witnessed some of the year's most important space missions. Now he takes a look back.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Klang, Malaysia
    Posts
    8,826
    ABC news - "Corporate space flight lifts off in 2020: The major missions over the past year"

    https://abcnews.go.com/Technology/co...ry?id=74378770

    By the end of May, some two months after the coronavirus pandemic arrived in the U.S., the nation was in a deep crisis.

    Hundreds of thousands were sick with the virus, millions were unemployed and the nation was in the midst of a bitter presidential election.

    But amid the despair and division, a rare moment of unity emerged with the launch of the two "Space Dads," Bob Behnken and Doug Hurley, the first NASA-SpaceX astronauts, to the International Space Station -- ending a nearly decade-long American dependency on Russia.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Klang, Malaysia
    Posts
    8,826
    "A new frontier: The year in space, 2020"

    https://newatlas.com/space/year-spac...retrospective/

    Despite the challenges posed worldwide by the COVID-19 pandemic, 2020 has been a bumper year when it comes to space exploration, marked by some incredible firsts and some sad farewells. It was a year of remarkable emerging technologies, a line up of ambitious new interplanetary missions, industry firsts, and the reemergence of the US in the field of human spaceflight. Most of all, 2020 saw commercial space companies coming into their own in ways that could impact space travel on a level not seen since the launch of Sputnik 1 in 1957.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    52
    Thanks all for really interesting Reviews of 2020.

    Such a lot going on.

    For me, the space highlights have to be the commercial spacefights - especially progress with reusable rockets with SpaceX Crew Dragon and starship tests - and asteroid (and moon) sample return missions.

    And so much more to look forward to in 2021, starting with the Mars missions and more progress on going back to the moon.

    And for a quick look at the 'top top top' 2020 news from space in under 7 minutes you could always watch the 'Back to Space' take on the year....!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxuixK98rL8
    Last edited by DavidLondon; 2020-Dec-31 at 04:16 PM.

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Klang, Malaysia
    Posts
    8,826
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidLondon View Post
    Thanks all for really interesting Reviews of 2020.

    Such a lot going on.

    For me, the space highlights have to be the commercial spacefights - especially progress with reusable rockets with SpaceX Crew Dragon and starship tests - and asteroid (and moon) sample return missions.

    And so much more to look forward to in 2021, starting with the Mars missions and more progress on going back to the moon.

    And for a quick look at the 'top top top' 2020 news from space in under 7 minutes you could always watch the 'Back to Space' take on the year....!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxuixK98rL8
    Yes it has been an exciting year in space and now to look forward to another exciting year in space. Yet another look at the year in 2020.

    https://www.cnet.com/news/2020-in-sp...terrible-year/

    Life on the surface of planet Earth in 2020 was troubling to say the least, but above and beyond this rock lies a whole lot of outer space where quite a few interesting and exciting things took place.

    While humanity hunkered down to wait out the COVID-19 pandemic and endured a steady stream of economic, political, environmental and social strife, SpaceX, NASA and a host of others were sending all kinds of stuff to space, including astronauts.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •