Thread: Does anyone here use Github?

Does anyone here use Github?

I have herd about for a while and noticed an old friend using it and a poster in the ATM area and have decided to give a shot. From what I found out so far you can use to make webpages, wikis and other projects.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

I've never heard of it. Given the usual definition of "git", I'm not tempted.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    Itís heavily used in the web development world.

Git is probably the most popular version control tool for software development (SubVersion probably comes in second). GitHub is an online repository hosting service using Git; it's likewise pretty popular, and their octokitty logo is amusing. I prefer SubVersion myself, but I've used GitHub and other Git-based repository services when working with customers that already had their source code hosted there. It's a reasonable enough choice for that, especially if you have a distributed development team (making it advantageous to put your source repository online somewhere). It's also a popular place to host the code for open source projects, since they'll do that free. I'd recommend that any code developer be at least familiar with it.

I'm not sure I'd call it a tool for "making" webpages or other things. As with any source control repository, it serves as a place to keep track of your code, and organize updates and changes, but apart from that, it doesn't help with the actual code writing part.
    Conserve energy. Commute with the Hamiltonian.

Yes, that was my impression too--more about source control and development, rather than webpages and wikis.
    I used GitHub back in my early days with Celestia, I think, but ended up on SourceForge. Both worked fine for a distributed development team, as you say, though I don't think I was doing anything particularly technical.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    Part of the joke. Linus Torvalds, having egotistically named Linux after himself, said he did the same with Git.
    It now has a couple of backronyms--Global Information Tracker or Goddamn Idiotic Truckload, depending on your lived experience.

Grant Hutchison

A couple of years ago I decided to look at learning css and html. I did this using chrome and w3schools and at the end of the session I could easily copy and paste the work back into a text document on my pc. So I actually have a partial website already done just looking for a place to host it.

So you're talking about GitHub Pages, rather than the original GitHub?

Grant Hutchison

I think Github and Github pages are part of the same service.

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    I think Github and Github pages are part of the same service.
    Same provider, different services. GitHub, as Grey says, is for software development and version control. GitHub Pages is web hosting. I'd never heard of the latter, hence my puzzlement that you proposed using GitHub for a web page.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Part of the joke. Linus Torvalds, having egotistically named Linux after himself, said he did the same with Git.
    It now has a couple of backronyms--Global Information Tracker or Goddamn Idiotic Truckload, depending on your lived experience.

Grant Hutchison
    Reminds me of the stories about why BITnet was called BITnet. (yes, I was a user of BITnet back in the 1980s)
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules