Thread: Marge Champion dies aged 101

Marge Champion dies aged 101

She was probably best known for dancing with her, then, husband Gower Champion in movies like the 1953 version of "Showboat". But for Gillianren I would guess that she is remembered for being a "life model" for Disney animation - her movements being copied for Snow White, the Blue Fairy from Pinocchio and the "hippo ballerinas" in the "Dance of the Hours" section of Fantasia.

The "Golden Years" of Hollywood Musicals just preceded her adult career but she still had a fine career including winning an Emmy in 1975 for her choreography work. She 'sings' in some of her films but I am fairly sure that her singing voice was dubbed.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/22/a...89da98384d35a8

I enjoyed her graceful-but-sassy dancer in Showboat. Probably the best parts of that remake.

Gillian published a nice biographical piece about her earlier this year.

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    I enjoyed her graceful-but-sassy dancer in Showboat. Probably the best parts of that remake.

Gillian published a nice biographical piece about her earlier this year.
    Yes, she did shine in that Showboat version which was a bit turgid as a whole. I did re-read that piece of Gillianren's as I was writing up my initial post. It was a nice piece.

There is a joke in some circles that my articles are a jinx, and that my covering someone guarantees that they'll die. But the reason I write about so many people who die is that I write about so many old people! When someone is 100 when I write about them, it's hardly surprising if they die later.

https://www.the-solute.com/celebrati...arge-champion/

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    There is a joke in some circles that my articles are a jinx, and that my covering someone guarantees that they'll die. But the reason I write about so many people who die is that I write about so many old people! When someone is 100 when I write about them, it's hardly surprising if they die later.

https://www.the-solute.com/celebrati...arge-champion/
    Yes I think that it might be stretching things to the limit to suggest that someone aged 101 died unexpectedly.