Thread: Could you make a gravitational laser?

Could you make a gravitational laser?

Could gravitational waves be stimulated in a similar fashion to light waves to make lasers or sound waves to make sasers?
    "Occam" is the name of the alien race that will enslave us all eventually. And they've got razors for hands. I don't know if that's true but it seems like the simplest answer."

Stephen Colbert.

A graser or gravity laser is a hypothetical occurrence. There are proposed (undeveloped) methods of generating such an effect.
    https://www.researchgate.net/publica...tric_Materials
    https://arxiv.org/pdf/physics/9802037.pdf
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

And saser is already a thing.

Grant Hutchison

It seems to me that it will not be possible to create such equipment in the near future. In extreme cases, at home - definitely not. Perhaps some laboratories will develop technologies that will bring humanity closer to such inventions, but not this year.

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    What does a gravity mirror look like? Apart, that is, from HG Wells , time machine but his blinds just shut gravity off.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

There is a paper out asking “Can a nonextremal Black Hole be a Particle Accelerator?” by Zaslavskii.
    There is an article about “Laser Stars, Laser Planets” that suggests that dropping an asteroid into the Sun could pump a laser—no need for the collapsar.

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Suppose our sun radiates particles. (Oh, it does). Some will slingshot around Earth , going into an elongated ellipsoidal path around Sun and Earth. Since the radiation is continuous, this particular path , or 3D cocoon is pumped. Is that a Gaser?
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    Suppose our sun radiates particles. (Oh, it does). Some will slingshot around Earth , going into an elongated ellipsoidal path around Sun and Earth. Since the radiation is continuous, this particular path , or 3D cocoon is pumped. Is that a Gaser?
    I assumed the OP was referring to collimated gravitational waves or force.

David Brin had a book with Gasers. The gimmick was the Earth was hit by a enemy black hole. The idea was that eventually the black hole would wipe out the planet. I guess the aliens had a lot of time on their hands. All it did was teach people to manufacture black holes that could be configured into weapons, the gaser. The hero had one in a suitcase sized box. He was able to use it to fly a crash-damaged space shuttle into orbit, then shoot at things. He had to balance the two actions, shooting and flying, because the shuttle was completely non-functional and was on the verge of falling apart.

It was a pretty memorable scene, but as I seem to recall the guy was doing it because he thought the shuttle was cool. It really had no bearing on what he needed to do. Which makes this "flying by handwaving" on a couple of levels.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    I guess the aliens had a lot of time on their hands. All it did was teach people to manufacture black holes that could be configured into weapons, the gaser.
    Were there aliens in that book? I remember the Gaser as being a human invention.

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    Were there aliens in that book? I remember the Gaser as being a human invention.
    It's been a while since I read it, but I think "the aliens" were assumed but not proven. How else would a black hole get inside the Earth, when there are bunch of humans build black hole machines and gasers? There seemed to be a whole trope of not thinking things through.
    Solfe