Thread: Astronaut selection over the years

Astronaut selection over the years

"How the 'right stuff' to be an astronaut has changed over the years"

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/s...ver-the-years/

To handle emergencies in space, astronauts need to remain calm and react quickly under immense mental pressure. “You can come out with a perfect plan,” says Parmitano, a former pilot with the Italian Air Force, “and then you can rest assured that you will be executing a different one.” And just to withstand the forces of spaceflight, astronauts need to be in peak physical condition.

These attributes were at the top of the list when the United States and Soviet Union began to consider putting people in space, and, for the first time in history, had to answer a question: What makes a good astronaut? (The word itself, first used in 1928, derives from the Greek for “star sailor.”)

As spaceflight evolved, though, other skills—such as knowledge in a scientific discipline—were added to the list of astronaut qualifications. And as the culture in the United States changed, opportunities in spaceflight were opened up to a wider array of the population.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

And as the culture in the United States changed, opportunities in spaceflight were opened up to a wider array of the population.
    There's hope for me yet! If Homer Simpson could become an "Average-Naut", then maybe I could too... ; )
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Meanwhile, ESA dictates you need to be right handed. Just because. A bit shortsighted imo as it makes the selection on the wrong level. They don't need someone to be right handed, they need someone to be able to handle the right hand control sticks and other tools very well. So what if that person would be left handed, as long as he can do it good enough (or better than anyone else) with the right hand...
    With sufficient thrust, water towers fly just fine.