Thread: What was that scifi book?

What was that scifi book?

A book I read a couple decades or so ago is on my mind, and I can't remember what it was.
    The protagonist is caught in a time warp where he speeds a thousand centuries or more into the future. Civilization rises and falls (five times over IIRC) in ice ages and wars with telepathic mutants during this time. At the peak he can see radio broadcast stations blue-shifted into visible light.
    Another detail I remember of the book is that the future had some kind of sidewise in time viewer, and they were looking at a timeline where "Mlart the Conquerer" (funny I remember that name) was never born and a nuclear war occurs.
    I actually had a couple copies of that book (from garage sales, etc.) so I know it was fairly popular at the time. Anyone know what I am talking about?
    SHARKS (crossed out) MONGEESE (sic) WITH FRICKIN' LASER BEAMS ATTACHED TO THEIR HEADS

You probably all ready checked these lists, but in case not:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...d_on_the_stage
    https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/...ks_of_All_Time
    https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/...Travel_Fiction

Please note the second and third lists are added to by anyone and not all the entries are actually about time travel, but with luck . . . .

(I'm assuming you would recognise the title or author, though you cannot currently recall them.)

Actually the author was relatively minor, and both name and title did not make a big engram in my brain. No, I would not likely recognize them.
    SHARKS (crossed out) MONGEESE (sic) WITH FRICKIN' LASER BEAMS ATTACHED TO THEIR HEADS

Someone on another forum gave me the answer:
    https://www.fantasticfiction.com/s/m...e-conspire.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mazanec View Post
    Someone on another forum gave me the answer:
    https://www.fantasticfiction.com/s/m...e-conspire.htm
    Congratulations!

Hopefully, the book stands the test of time...no pun intended. I've had a few bad experiences browsing the memory lane section of the library.

It is not available on the Kindle. It is also the first of a five book series...1985-1991.
    My library is closed, I will try them tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Selenite View Post
    Congratulations!

Hopefully, the book stands the test of time...no pun intended. I've had a few bad experiences browsing the memory lane section of the library.
    Same! My taste in stories and judgement have been consistent over the years, surely it must be the books themselves that changed.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

I have the opposite experience. I went through a phase of rereading popular books that I had disliked, and rewatching popular films that I had disliked, on the grounds that my tastes would have changed in the intervening decades. Well, I soon abandoned that project, because it turns out I still disliked the same stuff I'd disliked the first time around.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    Same! My taste in stories and judgement have been consistent over the years, surely it must be the books themselves that changed.
    It’s always disappointing when they re-write themselves to be bad. It’s why I have held off on re-watching Jurassic Park 3 because I’m worried it will have retroactively become as bad as all of the online critics claim.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    It’s always disappointing when they re-write themselves to be bad. It’s why I have held off on re-watching Jurassic Park 3 because I’m worried it will have retroactively become as bad as all of the online critics claim.
    Crack on. It's fine. Jurassic World, on the other hand ...

Grant Hutchison