Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Share Your Fall Color!

Quote Originally Posted by myblind View Post
    look at them colors !
    where do you leave ? HEAVEN ?
    Close...Peters Creek, Alaska.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    Close...Peters Creek, Alaska.
    The Maritimes are looking pretty heavenly as well!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    The Maritimes are looking pretty heavenly as well!
    Indeed! Meanwhile, my world has gone to monochrome in 15 days:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zIMG_6359.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	82.9 KB 
ID:	25588   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zIMG_6361.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	60.0 KB 
ID:	25589  

Quote Originally Posted by Torsten View Post
    Indeed! Meanwhile, my world has gone to monochrome in 15 days
    Brrrrr. I’m still running the air conditioner, though not much. It should hit 93F here today. Every now and then I want to see snow again and drive a couple hours to the mountains.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

We're starting to see some fresh snow on the Olympic Mountains. We seldom get any here at sea level.

The season of color is all but over for another year. While it's been on the taller peaks for some time, we got the first termination dust of the season on our mountaintop yesterday...and it came all the way down overnight. That has to be a record. We usually have a few days or a couple of weeks between the two.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0267.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	25594
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

A few pics from the property during a quick walk after cleaning up some of the gardening stuff yesterday.
    https://twitter.com/DavidLPFairweat/...893121025?s=20
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

E

Well, my pomegranate tree has gone yellow and is losing its leaves. I noticed a large tree in my neighbor’s yard has started to get some yellow leaves, but is mostly green. It does drop a lot of leaves in my yard, mostly in December and January. Right now it is still getting to 80F during the day, though down into the 40s at night. Also, it is supposed to drop to the 50s-60s during the day in two or three days, so we are finally getting to more wintery weather.

Most things stay green all year, like the orange tree near the house. It can rarely get just cold enough here to make commercial citrus growing impractical - nearby you’ll find areas called “Citrus Heights” and “Orangevale” named because of extensive citrus farms, but they were wiped out early in the 20th century from a cold snap. We had a freeze that lasted through for a few days some years back, first time here I’ve seen it stay below freezing during the day. I had an exterior pipe freeze, it killed my lemon bushes down to the ground, but they came back, froze some cacti and succulents solid (they turned to mush and I never bothered to replace them) and did extensive damage to my orange tree.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

So far this autumn has been dull when it comes to colors. Even the maple trees are turning from green to yellowish brown before the leaves drop, not much in the orange/red range here. On the other hand the persimmons are turning a nice orange, the purple cabbages are heading up, and the blueberry bush foliage is turning a bit reddish...

Name:	IMG_20201101_142247.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	923.8 KB 
ID:	25643

Name:	IMG_20201101_142113.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	868.6 KB 
ID:	25644

Name:	IMG_20201101_143124.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	25645

This will be the final update on my local fall colors, not much to offer but our maple tree did finally turn a nice oragey/red but the leaves fell off 5 minutes later so no pic there...

Here's the persimmon tree in all it's glory...

Name:	IMG_20201110_120901.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	916.8 KB 
ID:	25648

Here's another Dogwood...

Name:	IMG_20201110_120738.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	25649

Here's a few old zinnas hanging on (still no killing frost here yet)...

Name:	IMG_20201110_120752.jpg 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	25650

...and one overhead shot from laying in my hammock. This is a Male Mulberry tree, or otherwise known as a Paper Mulberry tree, Thomas Jefferson's favorite shade tree...turns yellow before dropping...

Name:	IMG_20201110_121011.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	25651

Busy raking now....

It is deep into autumn in Perth now, so here are some colours for you. These photos were taken this morning alongside a bike path a few km from home. This is a bush reserve sitting between a 4 lane highway and a golf course. The trees and flowers are Banksia - first collected by, and named for, the botanist Joseph Banks. He was on Captain Cook's first exploration voyage that visited Australia in 1770.

These are all Banksia trees

Name:	Flowers3.JPG 
Views:	30 
Size:	901.1 KB 
ID:	26121

The flower spikes

Name:	Flower.JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	234.4 KB 
ID:	26122

Name:	Flower1.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	251.5 KB 
ID:	26123

Name:	Flowers2.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	357.0 KB 
ID:	26124

A lovely, if alien landscape.

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    A lovely, if alien landscape.
    "It's life, Jim... but not as we know it."
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Alien to some of course This sort of bushland setting is common on very nutrient deficient sandy soils around here. Banksias are very intolerant of fertilizers - especially those containing phosphates.

For a more 'alien' look I give you Lake Ballard about 800 km east of us. Most of the West Australian lakes you see on a map are either very saline or more commonly mostly salt pans. And then Wave Rock about 340 km to the South East.

Name:	Bush.JPG 
Size:	436.3 KB 
ID:	26127

Name:	Bush4.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	661.9 KB 
ID:	26128

Name:	Bush3.JPG 
Size:	502.2 KB 
ID:	26129

Pretty cool, Ozduck. Get many surfers at that rock?
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    Pretty cool, Ozduck. Get many surfers at that rock?
    Well there is plenty of water there. The town water reservoir is on top of the rock!

Name:	Water.JPG 
Size:	510.9 KB 
ID:	26130

In the early days before there were any water pipelines this wall funnelled the rain into the the reservoir. You can see by the salt lakes in the background that there is no potable river or underground water around.

Name:	water1.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	420.5 KB 
ID:	26131

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    Well there is plenty of water there. The town water reservoir is on top of the rock!

Name:	Water.JPG 
Size:	510.9 KB 
ID:	26130

In the early days before there were any water pipelines this wall funnelled the rain into the the reservoir. You can see by the salt lakes in the background that there is no potable river or underground water around.

Name:	water1.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	420.5 KB 
ID:	26131
    Very nice photos ozduck. I recall you mentioned a possibility of rain recently, but from your photos I'm beginning to believe it never rains there!

Quote Originally Posted by Torsten View Post
    Very nice photos ozduck. I recall you mentioned a possibility of rain recently, but from your photos I'm beginning to believe it never rains there!
    We actually had around 18 mm's (.71 ") of rain here last week and the far north of the state has had good rains so far. However, that is around 3,000 km away so of no use to us. The area where Wave Rock is located is in the "Central Wheatbelt" and has an average rainfall of 341 mm (13.4 ") so it is never going to be very lush. The groundwater is also very saline - hence the salt lakes. After all Australia is the driest continent after Antarctica and 48% of Perth's drinking water comes from 2 desalination plants..

Autumn is here on the high plateau:

Name:	whitewater9.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	285.6 KB 
ID:	26435

Grant Hutchison
    Science Denier and Government Sponsored Propagandist. Here to help.
    Blog

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post

Name:	whitewater9.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	285.6 KB 
ID:	26435

Grant Hutchison
    Lovely. I can imagine endless wandering through that landscape.

I object! It's 11 or 12 days yet until the first day of Fall by the USA Equinoxes and Solstices definition of the seasons! And I'm determined to keep wearing summer uniform as long as possible!
    Heck, it hasn't even started raining!

Here's another one for you. I took it in August.

Name:	IMG_20210823_123450_PANO-2.jpg 
Size:	228.5 KB 
ID:	26436

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Quite nice. Our mountains are taking on similar colors above the tree line, along with some reds.

The color of autumn around here is mostly just gray.

Heh. Here it mostly looks the same, but the days are getting a little shorter. Last year because of this thread I really looked, and colors did change a bit going into November, but trees that lose them go from green to leaves off pretty quickly. Basically, you see colors finally changing and a few days later there is a good windstorm and the trees are now mostly bare.

Oh, and last year there was the extended smoky days of fall, but that’s unusual. (There has been smoke this year but so far not the thick stuff, locally anyway. Last year I kept the windows closed for a month of cool but smokey nights.)

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Another tree-free autumn landscape, captured in Glen Coe this morning.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Nice, a bit alien.

Fall colors here: Because of the water shortage, I had let the grass go dry and it had gone partly brown, but now it is very green and I’ll need to mow soon. In fact, in general things are more green than earlier in the year, but there are trees with leaves now with proper fall colors. Those trees will likely drop them within a month.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

I really enjoy that landscape.

The leaves have been off the trees here for close to two months, there's been snow on the ground for over a week, and as I write this we're having heavy snowfall. We're expecting another 10-20 cm today. Happy I don't have to drive anywhere today.

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    For a more 'alien' look I give you Lake Ballard about 800 km east of us.
    Wow, very strange!

Can't remember if I've posted this here or not! Here's a shot looking up-river a week or so ago....

Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.

Quote Originally Posted by Cougar View Post
    Wow, very strange!

Can't remember if I've posted this here or not! Here's a shot looking up-river a week or so ago....

Yes you did - in the "Share your art" thread about a week ago. But that is fine by me as I loved it both times