Thread: Goodbye, Mrs. Peel

Goodbye, Mrs. Peel

Dame Diana Rigg: Avengers, Bond and Game of Thrones actress dies at 82

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-54106509

I will always remember her for two totally different roles ... Mrs. Peel and Olenna Tyrell.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Ah, that makes me sad. She was a childhood favorite in The Avengers. When it was possible, I bought all of the series still available on DVD (some of the episodes before her time on the show no longer exist, but remaining ones are also so different from the later show it was a struggle to get through them). The Avengers often had science fiction themes and a fair bit of humor. I read the producers were surprised how seriously some people took it since it was meant to be a send up of things like Bond movies. Two women from the series became “Bond girls” and she was one of them, Honor Blackman was the other. When she left for Bond, Linda Thorson took over, but she couldn’t match the acting or the chemistry Rigg had with Macnee.

The series was often syndicated through the ‘70s and ‘80s but pretty much disappeared from TV in the ‘90s. It is probably one of my most rewatched TV series, along with the original Star Trek and The Prisoner. Admittedly, times have changed enough that it can be a bit hard to watch episodes these days, in terms of technology and other issues.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." ó Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

I’ll add that the Mrs. Peele character strikes me as something of the prototype of the strong and intelligent action woman often seen in later TV and movies. She wasn’t Steed’s subordinate, she was every bit his equal. That changed a bit with Tara King (Thorson) as she was a younger character that looked up to Steed and seemed to be attracted to him.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." ó Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

I remember mostly from doing the intros on PBS mystery.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    I’ll add that the Mrs. Peele character strikes me as something of the prototype of the strong and intelligent action woman often seen in later TV and movies.
    Not to undermine Rigg's contribution, but I think the groundwork for that was done by her predecessor, Honor Blackman, in the role of Cathy Gale.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Not to undermine Rigg's contribution, but I think the groundwork for that was done by her predecessor, Honor Blackman, in the role of Cathy Gale.

Grant Hutchison
    Blackman also died earlier this year.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    You may be right, but I really donít know much about it because I didnít watch much before Rigg. Thatís where there were a lot of missing episodes on DVD and they were never shown on American TV. (Even then, usually only episodes in color were shown, so Riggís first season usually wasnít shown). But the biggest issue is that they were done very differently, a much more primitive process. They looked to be very obviously done on indoor sets and just didnít have the production quality level of later episodes, so it was hard for me to watch them.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

I was also sad to hear of her death. Like Van Rijn I watched her in my youth and she remained a firm favourite. If ever an actor could be said to display a 'fierce intelligence it was her. She must have been fascinating to watch on stage.

And yes, I also remember Honor Blackman fondly and did sadly note her passing earlier this year.

Class act. I enjoyed all her work.

I had a headache all day yesterday and have woken up with a worse one (probably from the smoke), so I didn't get an obituary done, but my article image would've been her as Lady Holiday in The Great Muppet Caper.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Really liked her role in The Avengers. Steed was good too, but he reminded me too much of Bat Masterson.

The last thing I saw her in was The Crimson Horror, on Doctor Who. In which her daughter was played by her actual daughter.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.