Thread: Wormhole question, theoretical

Wormhole question, theoretical

According to current theories, might we detect a wormhole "opening" by its gravitational waves?
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Present participle or noun?
    The wormhole needs to be doing something--accelerating, changing shape--in order to emit gravitational waves. So a static wormhole throat (noun "opening") would have no reason to emit gravitational waves. But a wormhole throat in the act of forming (present participle "opening") might well do so, I'd guess.

Something massive falling into a wormhole would also emit diagnostic gravitational waves--see here and here.

Grant Hutchison

As a verb. In the process of formation... or expansion from a quantum state to macro, if the "foam" model applies.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

I guess it would depend on the details of how the wormhole was being created/expanded. There are wormhole metrics with no associated gravity, so presumably they wouldn't produce a gravitational wave signal in and of themselves; though they might do so if the other end opened near a massive object, which would cause a local change in gravitational potential as its gravity reached through the wormhole.

Grant Hutchison