Thread: Black holes or black holes and dust?

Black holes or black holes and dust?

Hi. Dumb question. It probably is.

What is the predicted outcome of the universe in the distant future?

Does all matter end up in black holes, or does the expansion of ‘space’ create ‘equivalent to’ Lagrange points/gravity equilibriums between the final black holes (dust that could persist forever) ?

Eventually all goes into the black holes I’m reckoning.

Then do all the black holes merge? Or do they just get spread out and never meet? Evaporating by Hawking radiation separately?

🍷

Moved from OTB to Q&A
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by alromario View Post

Does all matter end up in black holes, or does the expansion of ‘space’ create ‘equivalent to’ Lagrange points/gravity equilibriums between the final black holes (dust that could persist forever) ?
    Lagrange points would still technically exist regardless of distances. But at some point, they are so far off that the influence is negligible and the dust just drifts through.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

I suspect it will be black holes, dust, and other cold debris. I visualize the universe expanding too rapidly for black holes to ever collect matter that had been sprayed into extragalactic space.
    This is an opinion based on handwaving and some being informed. I've not really studied the arguments of people claiming that after enough time it will all be black holes.
    Forming opinions as we speak

Quote Originally Posted by alromario View Post
    What is the predicted outcome of the universe in the distant future?

Eventually all goes into the black holes I’m reckoning.

Then do all the black holes merge? Or do they just get spread out and never meet? Evaporating by Hawking radiation separately?
    Even the best astrophysicists in the world don't agree on how the Universe will end up in deep time. So far from a "dumb" question, it's a question that confounds the world's best minds.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright