Thread: Carl Reiner dies aged 98

Carl Reiner dies aged 98

He had an immensely long and varied career. I think that I first became aware of him via "The Dick Van Dyke Show". With highlights like that, the “2000 Year Old Man” records with Mel Brooks, the films he directed and his work on and for “Your Show of Shows” plus much else he certainly was entitled to be called a 'legend' of comedy.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/30/a...gtype=Homepage
    Last edited by PetersCreek; 2020-Jun-30 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Title typo

I wrote about him nearly three years ago, in part because I knew I'd want to get to Rob as well and have a policy of trying to do the parent first, and he at the time had three movies in production. https://www.the-solute.com/celebrati...g-carl-reiner/

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

If you haven’t seen it, do yourself a favour and seek out the clip where he talks to Laura Petrie after she’s spilled the beans to the public that he wears a toupee. It’s not one of the most celebrated moments of the show, but it’s enormously funny.
    "Needy bald people??!!"

RIP Carl, a genius in program producing.

Comedy legend … comedy genius … and by all accounts a genuinely nice guy.

And, yeah, he was great as Alan Brady and in that bit especially.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

The casting on The Dick Van Dyke Show was admirable: the supporting roles and even the smallest bit parts were filled perfectly. It's no wonder that Reiner took himself out as the lead of his project and switched to Van Dyke to assure its success. Yet, the roles that Carl did play were especially memorable. He sure knew what he was doing when it came to comedy.

I remember him from Night Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by publiusr View Post
    I remember him from Night Gallery
    I didn’t remember that so looked it up. He was in the short piece “Professor Peabody’s Last Lecture.” I do remember that, about a professor that talks about Lovecraftian gods and doesn’t take them seriously, and after a nasty storm gets turned into a tentacled thing. It was done in a mildly humorous way.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser