Thread: NASA Changes its Mind. It Will be Using Previously Flown Crew Dragons and Falcon 9

NASA Changes its Mind. It Will be Using Previously Flown Crew Dragons and Falcon 9

NASA has announced that starting next year, SpaceX will be able to reuse its Crew Dragon spacecraft and Falcon 9 boosters to send astronauts to the ISS.
    The post NASA Changes its Mind. It Will be Using Previously Flown Crew Dragons and Falcon 9 appeared first on Universe Today.

More...

Snakes. You First, Indy

Quote Originally Posted by Fraser View Post
    NASA has announced that starting next year, SpaceX will be able to reuse its Crew Dragon spacecraft and Falcon 9 boosters to send astronauts to the ISS.
    The post NASA Changes its Mind. It Will be Using Previously Flown Crew Dragons and Falcon 9 appeared first on Universe Today.

More...
    I can only assume that each of the administrators responsible for this decision has personally volunteered to test ride a used crew module to the ISS?

I’m not sure, but I know they didn’t volunteer for the Space Shuttle. In early flights, estimates were that the shuttle had a risk of about 1 in 9 flights leading to complete failure. They improved on that, but apparently per testing crew dragon on a Falcon 9 is way ahead of the improved shuttle. And there will be more testing before final approval of this. Don’t forget that replacing the capsule each time has its own risks and the rocket first stage has had extensive real world use and testing.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by John Mendenhall View Post
    I can only assume that each of the administrators responsible for this decision has personally volunteered to test ride a used crew module to the ISS?
    Except for the liquid fuel tank the STS was nothing but recycled parts on many missions. Engines, the entire orbiter, even solid rocket sections recovered from the ocean. There’s no new ground with the Crew Dragon flights except that perhaps a booster self-landed.

Now, that said, we can only hope and expect SpaceX to do a stellar job in refurbishing components, at least as good or better than the STS NASA contractors. Please?