Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
I recommend reading the comment to that post. I didn’t write it, but I can imagine writing something very similar to it. Essentially these are estimates of what it could take to emulate the function of a human brain with a conventional architecture digital computer (and incidentally notice the estimates are all over the map). It doesn’t mean that a human brain performs the same functions as a conventional digital computer. I’m not aware of any evidence that the brain does floating point operations at all. We can calculate after learning how, but only by using much of the brain’s resources in an inefficient way and very slowly compared to a typical electronic computer. Emulation can be extremely inefficient compared to purpose built hardware and that goes for biology as well as electronics: A human can perform the functions of a CPU, but very slowly and likely with more errors.
Yes, well said. I guess as you wrote in the earlier post, they are so different that it is not really meaningful to make a comparison. There are some things that our brains are extremely good at, like recognizing faces or speech, but doing brute calculations is not something we excel at at all. I find it interesting that I (and most people) are able to remember thousands of faces, which are quite complex, but (I think) fewer numbers, even though they are much simpler in terms of data. For a computer, remembering a number, like a date, is much easier than a face.