Thread: Sir Ian Holm, star of Lord of the Rings and Alien, dies at 88

Sir Ian Holm, star of Lord of the Rings and Alien, dies at 88

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-53110391

Stage and film actor Sir Ian Holm, who played Bilbo Baggins in The Lord of the Rings films, has died aged 88.

Sir Ian, Oscar-nominated as Olympic running coach Sam Mussabini in Chariots of Fire, also played the android Ash in 1979's Alien.

"It is with great sadness we can confirm that the actor Sir Ian Holm CBE passed away this morning at the age of 88," his agent said in a statement.

"He died peacefully in hospital with his family and carer," he added.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

RIP Ian Holm, I remember many movies you CTED IN. Your talents will be missed.

I was surprised that such an accomplished and experienced actor should have stopped performing on the stage due to severe "stage fright". Apart from all the other performances mentioned I enjoyed his work in the TV adaption of Len Deighton's "Game, Set and Match". In fact I think I might re-watch for the first time in near 30 years.

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    I was surprised that such an accomplished and experienced actor should have stopped performing on the stage due to severe "stage fright". Apart from all the other performances mentioned I enjoyed his work in the TV adaption of Len Deighton's "Game, Set and Match". In fact I think I might re-watch for the first time in near 30 years.
    Stage fright actually keeps any number of actors from the stage. Acting for the camera and acting for the stage trigger different emotional reactions that way.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

I was thinking about narrowing down when I first saw him and considered it had to be as Napoleon in Time Bandits, even though I never knew it at the time. It was the first film I saw in a theatre. Funny that. I must have seen him in loads of movies (Brazil, Henry V) before I knew who he was. The first time I recognised him in a film (ie, after seeing Alien) was The Sweet Hereafter, which is an amazing movie he's brilliant in.
    "Occam" is the name of the alien race that will enslave us all eventually. And they've got razors for hands. I don't know if that's true but it seems like the simplest answer."

Stephen Colbert.