Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ydnac

Ydnac

Had an interesting conversation earlier today with an old friend. The infamous Candy. Of permanently banned fame. She wanted me to ask TPTB if she could come back. She misses it here and claims to be older and wiser.

Iím guessing OTB is the wrong place for this thread.

Of course, I have no say in this, but for those who started here after Candy was permanently (?) banned, by my recollection she was just fine most of the time and was a prolific poster that made the site more lively, but occasionally she would go completely off the rails. These incidents were seriously beyond the scope of the rules, with disappeared posts being the result, not things where people might reasonably debate if they were significant enough to warrant a ban.

I think the general suspicion is that she sometimes posted while impaired. My feeling is that before this should even be considered, she should be asked if she has whatever caused those incidents under control and especially if she has learned when to avoid the keyboard. Older and wiser, in my view, isnít sufficient in itself, but certainly people can change behaviors.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." ó Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Thanks to the members who reported this thread.

Moved from OTB to Feedback.

The Moderation Team will discuss.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

We can't afford to lose anyone with a September 5 birthday.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    We can't afford to lose anyone with a September 5 birthday.
    But we've already "lost" her. She's banned. Unless you were worried about saying the wrong thing? ;-)

I think it would be a good thing to give someone a second chance, on a case by case basis. But I imagine, given the way rules have been interpreted here lately, it would take some mental gymnastics to arrive at that conclusion.

CJSF
    "Off went his rocket at the speed of light
    Flying so fast there was no day or night
    Messing around with the fabric of time
    He knows who's guilty 'fore there's even a crime

Davy, Davy Crockett
    The buckskin astronaut
    Davy, Davy Crockett
    There's more than we were taught"

-They Might Be Giants, "The Ballad Of Davy Crockett (In Outer Space)"

lonelybirder.org

I think we should have a long, heated debate about whether or not a distant future continuation of a person is still the same person.

I think we should have a long, heated debate about whether or not a distant future continuation of a person is still the same person.
    The old ďaxe with a replaced handle and replaced headĒ paradox.

By the way, what does the title of this thread mean?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    "Candy" backwards. Return of Candy?

Grant Hutchison

I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

"Off With Their Heads!" - the Red Queen, (Alice In Wonderland)

This is a tough question. As a long term member, I have seen many posters banned. Most deserved it. Some I felt uncomfortable about. One or two I wished they hadn't.

I like the long discussion idea. Can we kick this around for a while, with no snap decisions?

I guesed that Ydnac was sweets flavored with L-sucrose.

I do not know this person, but I just clicked on "Member List" and sorted by number of posts. The first page has 30 members, and the number who are banned is - well, surprisingly high. Banned after 10,000 or more posts I think if I stick around for 10,000 posts, there might be a few defects among them.

The person in question has the honour of heading up the second page, and is thus the first banned person on the second page.

So if the parole is approved, does this member get a "Formerly Banned" designation? Wear an ankle bracelet? I guess this is uncharted territory.
    Last edited by Rolling Stone; 2020-Jun-10 at 10:13 AM.

She could end up being the only member with two lifetime bans.

If she is a cat, she might end up with nine.
    As above, so below

No. After the BABB era when the BA ran things, there was a general amnesty for former banned posters (I think it was partly an issue with data not transferring with different BBS software). I remember at least a couple other posters that were banned on BABB and banned again on BAUT under conditions meant to be permanent. But keep in mind some or all of this took place before the suspension system

My recall after all this time is a bit fuzzy on this but I am quite sure Candy was banned at least twice with intentions it be permanent, with one of them by the BA.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." ó Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    The old “axe with a replaced handle and replaced head” paradox.

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    "Candy" backwards. Return of Candy?

Grant Hutchison
    Also a sock-puppet she once used, which was immediately banned. That makes three times.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolling Stone View Post
    So if the parole is approved, does this member get a "Formerly Banned" designation? Wear an ankle bracelet? I guess this is uncharted territory.
    This is charted territory; we have unbanned members before. Their designation will be "Member" or "Order of Kilopi", depending upon their number of posts, just like everyone else. The Moderation Team will probably be particularly mindful of their postings (call it "double-not-particularly-secret-probation" if you like).

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    No. After the BABB era when the BA ran things, there was a general amnesty for former banned posters (I think it was partly an issue with data not transferring with different BBS software). I remember at least a couple other posters that were banned on BABB and banned again on BAUT under conditions meant to be permanent. But keep in mind some or all of this took place before the suspension system
    Exactly correct.

General FYI - still being discussed in Moderation Land.

Keep Going, Gentle Folk

Quote Originally Posted by John Mendenhall View Post
    This is a tough question. As a long term member, I have seen many posters banned. Most deserved it. Some I felt uncomfortable about. One or two I wished they hadn't.

I like the long discussion idea. Can we kick this around for a while, with no snap decisions?
    So far, so good. I am not a heavy poster, but neither am I a lurker. Can we hear from some of the quiet people out there?

Quote Originally Posted by John Mendenhall View Post
    So far, so good. I am not a heavy poster, but neither am I a lurker. Can we hear from some of the quiet people out there?
    Granted, I’m not one of the quiet ones, but I’m curious - what would you like to hear? An opinion on Candy coming back? Something else? Do you have an opinion you would like to state?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

If anyone wants to offer an opinion, but does not wish to do so publicly here in the thread, they can always use the report feature on the first post in this thread and comment that way. We do not usually publish reported information or reporters identities.

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

Candy was banned a little before my time and I've not taken the time to look into why the ban was imposed (and there's no reason why I would). So I don't know the history. Speaking generally then, I would support re-admitting banned members after a period. Perhaps CQ should replace the permanent ban with a really long suspension - five, ten years, whatever. As always, one factor in the decision-making should be the extra burden on the unpaid moderators and administrators.

Could a mod perhaps contact her and discuss why things would be different this time? Presumably the originator of this thread could help arrange that.

ETA: I kind of recall that Phil Plait had a bit of an issue with Candy. He's not here any more.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Could a mod perhaps contact her and discuss why things would be different this time? Presumably the originator of this thread could help arrange that.
    This is being done.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Could a mod perhaps contact her and discuss why things would be different this time?
    Thatís pretty similar to my suggestion above. Itís pretty clear that, for whatever reason, she would sometimes go off the rails. I have known people like that, in some cases they eventually find a way to deal with the underlying issues. In other cases, they donít.

This board is getting too quiet, and from what I remember, most of the time Candy would be fine to have on the board, but if she hasnít dealt with the issue, I would expect another ban sooner or later.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    This is being done.
    Good to hear.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    This board is getting too quiet...
    ???
    Do good work. óVirgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    ???
    For me, it got too quiet a couple of years ago. Now it's deathly quiet.

Grant Hutchison

For me, it got too quiet a couple of years ago. Now it's deathly quiet.

Grant Hutchison
    Candy can definitely liven things u.

Quote Originally Posted by Superluminal View Post
    Candy can definitely liven things u.
    Never been a big fan of "lively", to be honest.
    But I miss the days when there would be ten interesting physics threads on the go at once, and if you went away for a couple of hours, you had twenty minutes of reading to do to catch up. So I meant "too quiet" in the sense of "not busy enough" rather not "not lively enough".

Grant Hutchison

Never been a big fan of "lively", to be honest.
    But I miss the days when there would be ten interesting physics threads on the go at once, and if you went away for a couple of hours, you had twenty minutes of reading to do to catch up. So I meant "too quiet" in the sense of "not busy enough" rather not "not lively enough".

Grant Hutchison
    Yes, I never came to this site for the excitement; I was drawn by the collection of knowledgeable people on subjects that interest me. If I want excitement or lively I'll just go wallow in a Twitter or YouTube discussion thread...and lose my remaining brain cells.