Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Crew Dragon Demo-2

Whenever there's a range violation, I've always said there should be a crippling fine that is nearly impossible to get waived. I'd extend that to this situation as well, with the private boats in the area. Take some good imagery of the craft and their ID numbers, if you can't get the info first hand/by arrest.

Crippling.

CJSF
    "The sun is a quagmire
    It's not made of fire
    Forget what you've been told in the past
    Electrons are free
    (Plasma!) Fourth state of matter
    Not gas, not liquid, not solid"

-They Might Be Giants, "Why Does The Sun Really Shine?"

lonelybirder.org

I get the need for a control zone but it's not like the dangerous radius of a rocket booster. It took a while for the tourists to arrive and they did not get dangerously close. Why would the Coast Guard interfere?

What about drones? How close should they be allowed to fly? I look forward to better 3rd party coverage of space events if maybe only to encourage SpacedX and others to provide same.

Quote Originally Posted by 7cscb View Post
    I get the need for a control zone but it's not like the dangerous radius of a rocket booster. It took a while for the tourists to arrive and they did not get dangerously close. Why would the Coast Guard interfere?

What about drones? How close should they be allowed to fly? I look forward to better 3rd party coverage of space events if maybe only to encourage SpacedX and others to provide same.
    It's all well and good if things all go well, but if there's a mishap, some of those boats were close enough to be in the way, should a crew member (space or water craft) end up in the water, or if the chutes hadn't cut and dragged the capsule off... plus, the concentrations of the hypergolic fuels that cause problems are so low that you can't just assume you're far enough away. They measure that stuff in the parts per BILLION.

CJSF
    "The sun is a quagmire
    It's not made of fire
    Forget what you've been told in the past
    Electrons are free
    (Plasma!) Fourth state of matter
    Not gas, not liquid, not solid"

-They Might Be Giants, "Why Does The Sun Really Shine?"

lonelybirder.org

Quote Originally Posted by 7cscb View Post
    How close did they get? Are there numbers on how close private boats were to the area before splashdown and how close they got after? I see three issues: (1) Possible danger to private boats, (2) possible danger to the astronauts and support crews and (3) possible interference with support crews, deliberate or not.

If the boats start out too close, there is the possibility the capsule could hit a boat. If a private boat gets too close, they could be exposed to dangerous chemicals or interfere with recovery. And what happens if someone bears ill will to the astronauts, SpaceX or NASA and decides to do something about it? Everything was fine this time, but it isnít worth taking chances.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." ó Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Glom is offline Insert awesome title here
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    Next Crew Dragon will have a turret on top...
    Just shoot a puff of MMH at them. They'll learn their lesson.

Or a hatch to the face.

Quote Originally Posted by publiusr View Post
    Or a hatch to the face.
    Which has just reminded me: Did anyone else notice the capsule looked like a weird face once the hatch was opened? The hatch became a nose, the opening a mouth, and there were some thruster ports or something for eyes.

You can see what I'm talking about here. Kind of a Zardoz vibe to it.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

I always thought that the R-7 stack with the circular Vostok bailout out hatch looked like the offspring of IOD the Hunter and Sauron’s Eye.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Which has just reminded me: Did anyone else notice the capsule looked like a weird face once the hatch was opened? The hatch became a nose, the opening a mouth, and there were some thruster ports or something for eyes.
    >
    Those are the drogue parachute bays & mortars.

The main parachute bay & mortar are under the hatch.
    Last edited by docmordrid; 2020-Aug-11 at 05:03 AM.