Thread: Fixed wife's Tasco Galaxsee 49-114500 4.5" reflector, what is a "moonfilter"?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Fixed wife's Tasco Galaxsee 49-114500 4.5" reflector, what is a "moonfilter"?

I found all the parts for my wife's 114mm/4.5" reflector, cleaned it up (mostly), and it seems to work well. The instructions say there is a moon filter. but I can't find one, no photo of it. This is an older telescope from about 2009, before we met, does not have wire adjustment thingers under the scope, but stand is very good and view is nice.

Will post photos later. Have not yet cleaned up my Orion 6".
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

Photo of Tasco telescope
    Attached Images Attached Images

A moon filter is simply a grey filter (similar to a neutral density filter for photography) whose purpose is to dim the moon for more pleasurable viewing. From waxing gibbous through full through waning gibbous, the moon is pretty bright and some people find it uncomfortable to view. In these phases the moon isn't nearly bright enough to damage your eye, but it can be uncomfortable and it will ruin your night vision for quite a while. You can get moon filters that screw into the bottom of the eyepiece here https://www.telescope.com/catalog/se...rd=moon+filter and here https://optcorp.com/search?q=moon+filter and many other places. Just make sure to select the right eyepiece diameter. The most common are 1.25" and 2", but some inexpensive telescopes use 0.925".

Thank you! Appreciate that very much.