Thread: Pentagon UFO videos

Pentagon UFO videos

Hi all,

I was surprised to see that reputable papers have reporting these videos as real.. declassified from the pentagon.
    Any thoughts as to possible non-extraterrestrial causes?

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/28/u...fo-videos.html
    "It's only a model....?" :-)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3dZl3yfGpc

We’ve had I think a couple topics where this was discussed, but right now I see one:

https://forum.cosmoquest.org/showthr...itz-UFO-event/

With some links to metabunk, where they have some arguments about possible causes. I don’t think there was much doubt that the videos were real. The idea that they show anything extraordinary is another matter. Add in the “To the Stars institute” fellows pushing this stuff and that part of it looks downright ridiculous. (That is, people I wouldn’t trust if the said the sky was blue, people known to promote woo, working to make money off of entertainment shows.)

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

The last time I saw this video, I said it was a bird. I might update that assessment in light of drone development. The video over water looks like the camera is scanning a target below the plane and rapidly slewing down and reducing zoom, which is kind of atypical of most movie shots. Sort of like the reverse of Jaws, where they zoom the camera while pulling back at the same rate to show the panic in Roy Scheider's without him actually emoting. Aliens spacecraft are remarkably different in character than Roy Scheider face.

This series of videos looks like it has two additional observations. One of them has a block like object as viewed from a ATFLIR. I'm a historian and teacher not a pilot nor member of the military. The ATFLIR seems to be a low res IR sensor mounted on the plane to work with the actual pod. Sort of like the hubcap cams on the Opportunity Rover. Not a great tool, but super useful. To me, it looks more like the camera is a pallet device meaning it's on the part that holds the sensor to the airframe, but not a part of the airframe or sensor itself, but what do I know?

The boxy object looks like it could be a reflection or a laser into the window of the device. It doesn't seem to move relative to the aircraft, which makes me think that it is a reflection or light source of some sort. If the IR device was tracking the object and stabilizing the image, I would expect the image edges to be all over the place while the target stays fixed in the center of the frame. Also there is a notation of RNG 99, which probable means the sensor is outside of it's operating parameters. It can track and follow, but can't say what range the object is. There is a noticeable lack of "bounce" in the images from the video, so whatever it is, is moving in lock step with the aircraft.

I am always leery of these types of videos because of the associated text from the non-expert. One version of the video claims the boxy object out runs the F-18, but the RNG stay constant as does the target image. The video simply ends without the object disappearing in the distance. It seems to me that someone really wants these to be UFO in the sense of alien contact and not UFO in the sense of "Unidentified Fly Objects". I feel really comfortable making this a human failure issue, as if the author wanted to make something click baity, without heading off to GONZO land. The image over the water has the same problem, the object is below the aircraft and getting closer, so it is also not "out running an F-18". I'm not sure why, but all of us ground pounders really want airplanes to be on full afterburner all the time. To a pilot, that simply means less time to enjoy flying.

FYI - It's finals week and I've had a drink or two, so maybe my assessment isn't so hot.
    Last edited by Solfe; 2020-Apr-30 at 06:08 AM. Reason: words... too many words.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by plant View Post
    Hi all,

I was surprised to see that reputable papers have reporting these videos as real.. declassified from the pentagon.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/28/u...fo-videos.html
    I don’t see why it has to be split between terrestrial and non-terrestrial explanations. because even if something is an unknown technology, it could still be an unknown technology developed by some actor on the earth. It could be China or Russia for example, who have developed some novel technology. if aliens could develop some anti-gravity system, then some terrestrial force might be able to do so as well. So perhaps it’s better to day, explanations based on technologies that we currently understand?
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    I don’t see why it has to be split between terrestrial and non-terrestrial explanations. because even if something is an unknown technology, it could still be an unknown technology developed by some actor on the earth. It could be China or Russia for example, who have developed some novel technology. if aliens could develop some anti-gravity system, then some terrestrial force might be able to do so as well. So perhaps it’s better to day, explanations based on technologies that we currently understand?
    There is also— although I suppose this might be a CT— the possibility that the Pentagon knows that it shows mundane objects or US technology and/or may have altered it additionally to look stranger but presented it as “unknown” as some sort of propaganda move against rival nations to convince them to spend money either attempting to develop implausible technology or investigating UFOs.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Heads at the Pentagon have changed since the 1940s and 1950s, so I would say there is a consensus there now (people who grew up during the old UFO thing) to pick out the unexplained stuff (notice there were only three videos, not hundreds) and throw it out there to see if anyone could explain it. This doesn't seem to follow any conspiracy theory, and is worth taking for face value. So, yes, there are unexplained flying things, but they might be natural or optical or electronic phenomena
    Last edited by Roger E. Moore; 2020-Apr-30 at 04:00 PM.
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

I recommend this short video by Mick West. He has also produced much longer ones- but the results are the same; these clips can be explained by mundane objects.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7jcBGLIpus

Today the Navy officially released three videos of UFOs. They are called FLIR, GIMBAL and GOFAST. The internet immediately took this as meaning that aliens are real. But the videos are not actually new. They were internally declassified back in 2017, and immediately released by Tom DeLonge's To The Stars Academy. I started writing about them in December 2017. With the help of others, I quickly arrived at likely explanations for all three videos.

The FLIR video is most likely a distant plane. The video was taken well after the famous encounter with a hypersonic zig-zagging tic-tac by pilots from the NIMITZ. This object doesn't actually move on screen - except when the camera moves, and it resembles an out of focus low-resolution backlit plane. I don't know what the pilots saw, but this video does not show anything really interesting.

The GIMBAL video is also probably of a plane. .... It's not rotating. What you see is the infrared glare of the engines, larger than the plane. It looks like it is rotating because of an artifact of the gimbal-mounted camera system. This is all a bit confusing, so I made several videos explaining it. Oh, and the "AURA" around the plane, that's just image sharpening. It happens all the time in thermal camera footage. It's not an alien warp drive, it's just the unsharp mask filter.

The GO-FAST video probably shows a balloon. It's not moving fast, it's not skimming the water, and you can verify this yourself because all the information you need is in the numbers on screen. It's just an effect caused by parallax.

Over the last few years, I've made a variety of videos explaining all this.
    You can find the playlist here: Source: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...CVnqTx_c0P3O2t

I personally think the GOFAST video shows a large bird, rather than a balloon, but otherwise I agree with Mick West.

Even though plant was not advocating any particular conspiracy, and was asking for mainstream explanations, we have generally discussed UFOs in the CT forum. So, I've moved this thread to there.

Carry on.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by eburacum45 View Post
    I personally think the GOFAST video shows a large bird, rather than a balloon, but otherwise I agree with Mick West.
    Thank you for that—I would like to see more videos of different kinds of camera artifacts.

Sure- if you like that sort of thing. I do.
    Here's a hawk filmed from a helicopter. The movement of the helicopter makes the hawk look as it it is moving really fast, but it is actually moving relatively slowly. This video demonstrates the parallax effect very well.
    https://youtu.be/h_f7ElR3oVs

Here's a TicTac that turns out to be another plane.
    https://youtu.be/jgAHzDeLRLo
    Last edited by eburacum45; 2020-May-04 at 09:22 PM.

Adam Savage needs to do a video showing a shuttlecraft model on a wire under a balloon so as to do similar “in camera” special effects shots...I don’t think anyone has thought to do that yet.

Hi all,

Why surprised? Some fraction of sighted objects are going to be unidentifiable. It's impossible to get perfect perception, instrumentation, and logging for every single encounter or sighting. There's always going to be reports that fall under either

"It's probably [ the planet Venus | a weather balloon | instrument fault | human error ], but we'll never know for sure."

or

"There's just not enough information to even guess."

It doesn't surprise me at all that the military would have accumulated a number of these unidentifiable sightings. It also doesn't surprise me that the military would declassify them. As a government agency, the military is going to publish a lot of stuff just because its required to and there's no good reason not to.

I bet the only UFOs that need to be classified are the ones where the military knows what it is, but doesn't want to reveal that its pilots or sensors can't identify it properly. If the Russians test a new missile, and the USAF spotters log it as a UFO, the Pentagon may not want the Russians to find out about the detection gap.

My thought is, there's just not enough information. If there were, the military would already have identified them. So the possible causes run the entire range of known possibilities: Birds. Helicopters. Swamp gas. Human error. Etc. How could you possibly narrow it down, without more information which isn't available?

Quote Originally Posted by Firesign Theater
    How to identify alleged sightings:
    ONE!
    Pie plates, or as reflections in the atmosphere.
    TWO!
    Dry cleaning bags filled with marsh gas, or...
    THREE!
    Mass insanity!
    Fred
    Hey, you! "It's" with an apostrophe means "it is" or "it has." "Its" without an apostrophe means "belongs to it."

"For shame, gentlemen, pack your evidence a little better against another time."
    -- John Dryden, "The Vindication of The Duke of Guise" 1684

Earth's sole legacy will be a very slight increase (0.01%) of the solar metallicity.

My thought is, there's just not enough information. If there were, the military would already have identified them.
    My thought is that the military would have to have in their possession (assuming that "extraterrestrial causes" means ET) an actual ET and/or their craft. Otherwise just chasing around ufos in the atmosphere means nothing. Plus if the military did accomplish such a feat of possession I seriously that doubt that we'd ever know about it.

THREE!
    Mass insanity!
    Well, gosh knows we have evidence enough of that in this country in recent times...
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Hi all,

I should have commented on this as well. I'm not surprised at all. It is a subject that interests people, and newspapers want to report on things that interest people. And it is coming from a reputable source. So why not report it?
    As above, so below

The Pentagon likely encouraged UFO belief, we’re I to hazard a guess.

In truth, all one would see at Area 51 are captured MiGs and some kind of drone or other.