Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can someone please explain the advantage of re and re purchasing the same software?

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    Have you folks noticed that some Windows 10 update went ahead and installed the "Edge" browser without asking? If you open any link that doesn't have a specific browser assignment, you get Edge. I found that it was difficult to disable and almost impossible to remove. I guess that all I can do about it is badmouth 'em, so I'll do that here.
    I haven’t done that much with Windows 10 but I thought that was the default. Older Windows installed IE and I thought it now installed Edge (and maybe IE too?). If you wanted another browser you would use IE or Edge to find and install it. Am I missing something or has the default installation changed?

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    Have you folks noticed that some Windows 10 update went ahead and installed the "Edge" browser without asking? If you open any link that doesn't have a specific browser assignment, you get Edge. I found that it was difficult to disable and almost impossible to remove. I guess that all I can do about it is badmouth 'em, so I'll do that here.
    Edge comes as part of Windows 10, so it arrives with your original installation. For a while it was possible to uninstall it from the Control Panel; then you needed to use Powershell commands; then it became impossible to get rid of, and all you can do is set something else as your default browser. There are also some registry edits you can make to inhibit it further, but they're probably version dependent so I won't post any more about that.
    What happened recently was that Microsoft effectively forced the new Chromium Edge on its users. On start-up after an update, you were confronted with an installer window that you couldn't close in any conventional manner--so many users just followed through the prompts and ended up with Chromium as their default browser, with all their bookmarks imported. The only way around it was to hit Ctrl-Alt-Del and shut down the installation in Task Manager before it started, which is something that many users wouldn't be aware of.

It takes me back to the days when Microsoft used increasing levels of trickery to get users to install the "free" upgrade from Windows 7/8 to Windows 10. If you were on the alert, didn't allow automatic updates and kept unchecking the box they'd checked by default, they began to get quite weepy towards the end. It was like having a MS developer weeping on your shoulder saying, "But why? Why? It's so cool. It's free. It does all sorts of useless stuff you neither want nor need. And it's got Clippy the Paperclip reborn as a spooky talking undead thing."

Using Windows 10 is like playing Whack-a-Mole. Something stopped working that was working yesterday? Windows 10 just "fixed" it for you.

Grant Hutchison

Can someone please explain the advantage of re and re purchasing the same software?

The advantage is, the company makes more money, and make the customers more dependent on the new "up" grades.

Oh, you meant what advantage to the customer?

I got nothin'.

TL;DR --If company policy doesn't benefit you, you're the product, not the client.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

I do remember reading about Chromium Edge. Microsoft gave up on maintaining their own browser code base and put a paint job on Google’s Chromium and calls it the updated “Edge.”

I don’t see any reason not to have it, it’s easy enough to download another browser and set it to default if you want. Storage isn’t a serious issue anymore for things like this (many games dwarf this stuff).

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

I'm just constitutionally opposed to having software on my machine that I don't use, especially if it has a degree of access to the operating system, tries to run in the background, and occasionally assigns itself permissions to access my data. If it wasn't being installed by your operating system, you'd call it malware.

Grant Hutchison

If I understand what I just read in Wikipedia, although Edge came with Windows 10 from the outset, it was completely changed in 2019, and then pushed out through Windows update whether you wanted it or not. Including to the old Win7 laptop I'm typing on. On our Win10 one it even went and copied all my bookmarks from Chrome.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.