Page 37 of 53 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,110 of 1565

Thread: The COVID-19 Discussion Thread (OTB)

Quote Originally Posted by Selenite View Post
    So…someone who has a PharmD degree just chucked all of that away over some delusional belief in conspiracies?

Whudda world....whudda world.
    As Covid CTs go that one's actually pretty mild. I know people who take the wackiest things seriously. Like, bat guano wacky.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Yesterday, I had to run to the store for a cable for my monitor (not getting into that right now), and the guy in line ahead of me "accidentally" dropped his vaccination paperwork. I suspect he was just so happy to be vaccinated that he wanted to share the news. And he's had both doses. He was in uniform--we're down the road from a military base--and told me and the cashier that they were really plugging along with getting everyone their shots and that there was no difficulty with figuring out who was on their first and who was on their second.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

As of midnight tonight the entire province is going into the orange level, which no non-essential travel, single family bubbles because some people had to go to parties and we no have increase to 27 new cases today. This probably means no auction this weekend.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Our county had one day this week that was well over a hundred cases--if it wasn't our second-highest case day so far, it was our third--but we've also had three zero-case days in the last week.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Our county had one day this week that was well over a hundred cases--if it wasn't our second-highest case day so far, it was our third--but we've also had three zero-case days in the last week.
    Hmm, that sounds suspiciously like issues with the timeliness of testing/reporting . . .
    A: "Things that are equal to the same are equal to each other"
    B: "The two sides of this triangle are things that are equal to the same"
    C: "If A and B are true, Z must be true"
    D: "If A and B and C are true, Z must be true"
    E: "If A and B and C and D are true, Z must be true"

Therefore, Z: "The two sides of this triangle are equal to each other"

31 more cases here and I guess the auction is going on got the call just a few minutes ago.

Record high deaths and new cases yesterday in the USA, according to Worldometer. Due to reduced weekend/holiday reporting, that's partly due to just catching up, but the seven-day averages look like records as well. When I went to the supermarket a couple of days ago, I decided to wear an N95 mask instead of my usual cloth one. Because it might do a better job of protecting me. That makes me sad.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by 21st Century Schizoid Man View Post
    Hmm, that sounds suspiciously like issues with the timeliness of testing/reporting . . .
    Oh, I'm absolutely aware of that. Unfortunately, the site I use shows the seven-day average as a line on a graph, but it isn't labeled well enough to figure out what the seven-day average actually is. "Too high," however, remains the summary.

"You can't erase icing."

Yesterday, I had to run to the store for a cable for my monitor (not getting into that right now), and the guy in line ahead of me "accidentally" dropped his vaccination paperwork.
    Did he pick it up?

I'm not sure how the US military deals with such things, but when I get my paperwork, it's going to become instantly one of my most valuable possessions. I'm expecting travel to be close to impossible without it.
    A: "Things that are equal to the same are equal to each other"
    B: "The two sides of this triangle are things that are equal to the same"
    C: "If A and B are true, Z must be true"
    D: "If A and B and C are true, Z must be true"
    E: "If A and B and C and D are true, Z must be true"

Therefore, Z: "The two sides of this triangle are equal to each other"

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    31 more cases here and I guess the auction is going on got the call just a few minutes ago.
    Actually the 31 cases were for Wednesday and Thursday was 24, and there are talks about going to the red level. For most places these are low numbers but the province doesn't have a large population and most cases seem to clustered in the cities.

Since I am in my forties I am probably near the bottom of vaccination list.

Quote Originally Posted by 21st Century Schizoid Man View Post
    Did he pick it up?
    Yes, after showing it to me and the cashier, which I suspect is why it fell out of his wallet in the first place. Showing off.

"You can't erase icing."

Yes, after showing it to me and the cashier, which I suspect is why it fell out of his wallet in the first place. Showing off.
    My wife hung her's on the fridge. It could just a reminder to go back for the second shot.
    Solfe

My nieces Christmas break was suppose to go to 17 Jan to allow some students to have 14 days of self isolation, but because of uptake in numbers here the province she is going to school is now saying of he doesn't have get back 8 in the morning tomorrow she will have to go into 14 days self isolation. Well at least after setting up the auction I got talk to her for few minutes as I dropped of a gift for step dads birthday and talked to her.

California stay-at-home orders are currently based on ICU capacity. If it drops below 15%, it is in effect. LA is the worst in the state and needs more capacity than it has. In my area we weren’t that bad - we were hovering close to but below 15% for some time, but we’re dropping rapidly now, and around 5% now. That also means it is almost certain the lockdown will still be active after another month. Aside from what that means if I would ever need medical care during this time, I wonder how many restaurants (which can at least do takeout), barbers/hair salons (which are completely shut down) and others will still be in business when things really improve.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

The hospital where many of my friends was born is overflowing, I know. Yesterday, though, in my film group's weekly "corner of happiness," there were people posting about loved ones who'd gotten vaccinated and one or two who'd gotten vaccinated themselves.

I'm worried about my friends' small businesses, goodness knows, but I doubt my faire boss, with his underlying health issues, would've come through alive. And it's hard to run a business while you're dead.

"You can't erase icing."

Strolling through the deserted university campus today, I had a close encounter with a very large rat. Nature is healing.

Grant Hutchison

Our town is full of deer. But it always has been!

I’ve met a lot of wildlife in my yard. Deers included. I once had seven visit - years ago. Just had one recently, but it is persistent. My pet cats have come from my yard via visiting mothers (it helps that I don’t have any dogs).

A few years ago I noticed rats were getting in my garage, but couldn’t find the hole. I set out traps and ultimately caught eight over a period of a couple months. A couple were very large, followed by smaller ones. It felt like I had taken out the rattish Brady Bunch.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

My Covid19 personal report goes like this. 13th day, temperature holding at 97.3F with much less need for Tylenol to reduce symptoms of slight sweat in the morning. Son has no symptoms and reports back to work tomorrow. We both have O-positive blood and were told by family members in medicine that such blood type is the best to have while going through this. Too bad mosquitoes don't sense it that way.

They also informed me that I don't need a vaccine shot. Does that sit in agreement with the rest of you here? I thought I still had to have that done. Maybe my son should have the vaccine when it is available to him?

Great to hear you are doing better!

Quote Originally Posted by blueshift View Post
    They also informed me that I don't need a vaccine shot. Does that sit in agreement with the rest of you here? I thought I still had to have that done. Maybe my son should have the vaccine when it is available to him?
    What I heard (from a news interview of a doctor talking about this scenario) is that you probably should wait, since you currently have a heightened immune response and a lot of antibodies in your bloodstream, but should get one eventually, since your current immunity may not last, and may not be as good as what would be produced by the vaccine. You certainly wouldn’t be a priority, so probably should talk to your doctor or a pharmacist later in the year when there is enough to go around.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

And from the CDC:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...nes/facts.html

(scrolling down the page)

If I have already had COVID-19 and recovered, do I still need to get vaccinated with a COVID-19 vaccine?

Yes. Due to the severe health risks associated with COVID-19 and the fact that re-infection with COVID-19 is possible, vaccine should be offered to you regardless of whether you already had COVID-19 infection. CDC is providing recommendations to federal, state, and local governments about who should be vaccinated first.

At this time, experts do not know how long someone is protected from getting sick again after recovering from COVID-19. The immunity someone gains from having an infection, called natural immunity, varies from person to person. Some early evidence suggests natural immunity may not last very long.

We won’t know how long immunity produced by vaccination lasts until we have more data on how well the vaccines work.

Both natural immunity and vaccine-induced immunity are important aspects of COVID-19 that experts are trying to learn more about, and CDC will keep the public informed as new evidence becomes available.
    I notice they don’t say anything about waiting a bit after the infection, but as a practical matter, that will happen anyway for anyone not in a priority group.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Detailed information appears in the CDC's vaccine advice for clinicians:
    Vaccination of persons with a SARS-CoV-2 infection or exposure
    Data from clinical trials indicate that mRNA COVID-19 vaccines are safe in persons with evidence of a prior SARS-CoV-2 infection. Vaccination should be offered to persons regardless of history of prior symptomatic or asymptomatic SARS-CoV-2 infection. Viral testing to assess for acute SARS-CoV-2 infection or serologic testing to assess for prior infection solely for the purposes of vaccine decision-making is not recommended.
    Vaccination of persons with known current SARS-CoV-2 infection should be deferred until the person has recovered from the acute illness (if the person had symptoms) and criteria have been met for them to discontinue isolation. This recommendation applies to persons who develop SARS-CoV-2 infection before receiving any vaccine doses as well as those who develop SARS-CoV-2 infection after the first dose but before receipt of the second dose. While there is otherwise no recommended minimum interval between infection and vaccination, current evidence suggests that reinfection is uncommon in the 90 days after initial infection. Thus, persons with documented acute SARS-CoV-2 infection in the preceding 90 days may delay vaccination until near the end of this period, if desired.
    I've given up trying to understand the relationship between CDC advice and actual actions on the ground at the state level in the USA, but it would appear that the CDC think blueshift should attend for vaccination, will be fine so long as not an active infection risk, but may be deferred for three months (presumably if other priorities are considered more urgent).

Grant Hutchison
    Last edited by grant hutchison; 2021-Jan-11 at 01:31 PM.

My brother-in-law is a retired volunteer firefighter, but now drives for the volunteer first aid squad in his town. His two sons are a volunteer firefighter and volunteer EMT.
    My wife tells me they are all foregoing vaccinations at this time because of unfounded reasons.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

A couple of COVID items I read the past week.

First, a statement that the US federal administration had been holding back some vaccine to ensure those that received the first dose would be able to get the second when the time came. I don't know whether that's true (that the administration has been doing that) or whether it's a good idea in terms of vaccinating the population as quickly as possible.

Second, that the UK was considering extending the time period between doses to allow more people to get the first dose, which apparently affords a significant degree of protection on its own. That article noted that there hasn't been sufficient testing to determine how long the interim period between doses can be and still have it work to maximum effect. So there's some risk to that idea.

I apologize if either of these topics has already been discussed here (I did look back in the thread a bit).

I was talking about the vaccine with a friend who's a (mild) anti-vaxxer, and I think part of the issue for her is a problem with extrapolating from the general to the specific. This vaccine is new, so it's clear that the science behind it is uncertain, she says, and when I tell her that the general principles are not new, including the part she's worried about, she doesn't seem to understand my point. I believe she's still planning to get it--she's a midwife and therefore presumably higher on the list than I am--but she thought I'd understand my hesitance despite the fact that we're not supposed to talk about vaccines according to her daughter because I'm never going to be able to change her mind. (Her daughter, my best friend, agrees with me!)

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    My brother-in-law is a retired volunteer firefighter, but now drives for the volunteer first aid squad in his town. His two sons are a volunteer firefighter and volunteer EMT.
    My wife tells me they are all foregoing vaccinations at this time because of unfounded reasons.
    Are they still being allowed to do those jobs? They should not be!

Quote Originally Posted by geonuc View Post
    A couple of COVID items I read the past week.

First, a statement that the US federal administration had been holding back some vaccine to ensure those that received the first dose would be able to get the second when the time came. I don't know whether that's true (that the administration has been doing that) or whether it's a good idea in terms of vaccinating the population as quickly as possible.

Second, that the UK was considering extending the time period between doses to allow more people to get the first dose, which apparently affords a significant degree of protection on its own. That article noted that there hasn't been sufficient testing to determine how long the interim period between doses can be and still have it work to maximum effect. So there's some risk to that idea.

I apologize if either of these topics has already been discussed here (I did look back in the thread a bit).
    The "gold standard" plan has always been to ensure that you hold back a designated second dose in a refrigerator for all those who receive their first dose, so it's ready to be administered at three weeks, because that's the protocol on which the vaccine was tested, and against which the primary outcome was measured.
    The situation in the UK is now sufficiently dire that a recommendation was issued by the Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunization at the end of last year, and it is now the standard protocol in the UK for the time being
    As protection is obtained around 2 weeks after the first vaccine dose, the committee recommends that vaccinating more people with the first dose is prioritised above offering others their second dose. This will provide the greatest public health benefits in the short term and save more lives.
    The Deputy Chief Medical Officer summarized the evidence for this by pointing out that in Phase III trials no serious Covid infection requiring hospitalization has been recorded once the trial subjects were 10 days beyond their first vaccine dose.
    We know that good immunity persists for at least 90 days after the first dose, so second doses are now scheduled for that time interval, and will be held back from supplies arriving in the UK a couple of months from now, when vaccine supplies will have ramped up.
    The UK has been the first to adopt this approach, but I think it won't be the last: in Europe, Germany and Denmark are reported to be considering the same option; and a quick Google search will find you reports that the impending Biden administration is considering the same thing (I would normally give a link, but there appears to be no apolitical discussion of that topic in the entire internet).

So basically the UK is working down a strict priority list during the next 2-3 months, getting as many vaccine doses into as many people as possible. The current roll-out to health-care workers and the over-80s should start to be reflected in reduced pressure on hospitals by February, it's hoped. God knows we need it.

Grant Hutchison
    Last edited by grant hutchison; 2021-Jan-11 at 04:54 PM.

Thanks for that information, Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by geonuc View Post
    Thanks for that information, Grant.
    You're welcome. Thanks for saying thanks.

Grant Hutchison

To Grant and Van,

Thanks for the inputs.