Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast

Thread: The COVID-19 Discussion Thread (OTB)

Where does your nose have the right to be?

I hope the nose-fist discussion doesn't become as long as the reality thread.

I keep finding discarded face masks around town, which annoys me, But I'm not as annoyed as the woman in the UK whose daughter choked (briefly) on a Chicken McNugget containing part of a surgical facemask (allegedly).

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by Rolling Stone View Post
    Where does your nose have the right to be?
    A fist-free zone.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

It's so unfair that people with longer noses get more space. I propose a nose tax based on length.

The National Football League has cancelled all of its preseason games but the first regular season game is still scheduled for September 10. Maybe they just haven't gotten around to cancelling the whole season yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    I hope the nose-fist discussion doesn't become as long as the reality thread.
    I find these to be completely vacuous.

In the 1840s, when there was an independent Texas, Mexico claimed the border was the Nueces, whereas Texas claimed it was the Rio Bravo.

They both agreed that the territory of Mexico ended where the territory of Texas began. They just didn't agree on where that was.

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    What an interesting example of the inconsistency of the concept of “rights.” It is not enough just to Roll out the cliche about with every right comes responsibility. With every right comes the requirement for enforceability. The right not to be injured or infected brings this inconsistency into the open. as with fists and noses, the concept of motive has to be introduced. The conflict becomes between individual motive and society motive.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Quote Originally Posted by Rolling Stone View Post
    I find these to be completely vacuous.

In the 1840s, when there was an independent Texas, Mexico claimed the border was the Nueces, whereas Texas claimed it was the Rio Bravo.

They both agreed that the territory of Mexico ended where the territory of Texas began. They just didn't agree on where that was.
    Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    What an interesting example of the inconsistency of the concept of “rights.” It is not enough just to Roll out the cliche about with every right comes responsibility. With every right comes the requirement for enforceability. The right not to be injured or infected brings this inconsistency into the open. as with fists and noses, the concept of motive has to be introduced. The conflict becomes between individual motive and society motive.
    Full stop. This is getting completely off-topic and borderline political. No more discussion of fists, rights, or borders, or my fingers will hit the nose of the Suspend button.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    The phrase is a little older than that!

Yesterday, Simon had his annual well-child visit, and keeping masks on the kids through it was an adventure. I really need to alter them to fit better.
    My wife saw her rheumatologist yesterday, via Zoom. I was surprised how well it worked. The doctor did mention that she have liked to do a skin-pinch test, something they do to see if autoimmune disorders are progressing.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

The National Football League has cancelled all of its preseason games but the first regular season game is still scheduled for September 10. Maybe they just haven't gotten around to cancelling the whole season yet.
    The Rose Parade is already canceled for the year, and I'd be shocked if they were planning to have the game. But the Rose Parade was created to support Pasadena tourism, and becoming a known epicenter of contagion wouldn't be good for that. I do worry about some of the businesses along and near the parade route; there are hotels which are popularly believed to only turn a profit for the year because they can rent rooms directly on the parade route.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

On the plus side, the Six Nations tournament is scheduled to finish 31 October. It was supposed to be 14 March.
    A: "Things that are equal to the same are equal to each other"
    B: "The two sides of this triangle are things that are equal to the same"
    C: "If A and B are true, Z must be true"
    D: "If A and B and C are true, Z must be true"
    E: "If A and B and C and D are true, Z must be true"

Therefore, Z: "The two sides of this triangle are equal to each other"

I think my pharmacy is going crazy. They keep filling a monthly script every 2 weeks.

I have this horrible feeling that it's something super simple, like a process change triggering some sort of automated response. It used to be that I would pick up my pills, they would scan the bottle then I would sign and pay. They did away with the signing part as they didn't want people touching the electronic screens. Ever since then, my scripts arrive earlier and earlier. I have a feeling the computer doesn't know that I picked them up unless I sign or they press a button that says I don't need to sign. Maybe someone didn't mention the override process in training?
    Solfe

I just got a notice that my pharmacy has filled one for me. I'm pretty sure I'm not due, even considering that a couple of years ago my doctor sent in a couple of "new" prescriptions for my refills and I've been getting them a few weeks early ever since.

Some high school in Georgia has reopened and is all over the interwebs for unmasked crowding in the halls. So the natural reaction of the administration has been to suspend the student who posted a picture and threaten all the others with "consequences". They need to look up "Streisand effect".

The economic side of all this has finally hit me in my employment. The place where I'm working has asked all contractors to take 15 of the next 30 days off. They need to get this financial year looking better.

But I'm not really a contractor, I'm a full-time employee of an organisation that has body-shopped me. That should make it their problem to find me something useful (or not) to do for those 15 days ... but it's worked out I'm just taking a bunch of leave, some of it unpaid so I know I have a bunch left for Xmas. Over the next 6 weeks I'm having a lot of long weekends.

Not a huge deal in some ways - many organisations (including the one I'm working at, for their permanent employees) have been getting their staff to reduce their leave balances. And I've heard of many contractors around here being made to take 20% cuts in their rates, so it could be worse.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

I had to "turn off" my parents on Facebook. They are virtual shut-ins living in a tiny state. My dad works from home for a funeral home and my mom runs an online business from home. They go out for medicine and groceries once a month. They aren't really good candidates for catching anything, especially the news.

Anyway, they have a lot of opinions based on living in a town with population that is far closer to zero than several million. My sister and her husband live in Toronto. My brother-in-law (finally) flipped his lid after a particular post from my dad. I think he got on the phone and screamed at them because the ALL CAPS post on Facebook wasn't enough. At some point, someone invoked my name (Don't do that! I am closer to the devil than the voice or reason) and I ended up on the phone with all of them. Ooo... ouch.

I've been laying low on social media since then. It was nice talking to my sister, though. We both try to keep our heads down.
    Solfe

One of Simon's godparents ended up unfriending her mother recently because she couldn't take the conspiracy theories.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    One of Simon's godparents ended up unfriending her mother recently because she couldn't take the conspiracy theories.
    Geeze , if I did that I’d have almost no family left on Facebook.

Hmmm...wait a minute.

I havn't unfreinded very many but I've had to "snooze" a few friends and family members over the years, usually during the election season.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    I havn't unfreinded very many but I've had to "snooze" a few friends and family members over the years, usually during the election season.
    Same.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

A quarter of a million people are about to descend on Sturgis, SD. No masks required.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    A quarter of a million people are about to descend on Sturgis, SD. No masks required.
    I wonder if there is a correspondence between people who don't wear helmets and people who don't wear masks?

Funny true story from years ago. My friend lived in a place that didn't require helmets on motorcycles. I live in a place that does. The moment I got to his state, I rode around with no helmet. Cool. When we met up, I started my motorcycle and got ready to go with no helmet. My friend loudly announced: "I don't ride with tourists!"

Hmm... Given that tidbit, I always wear a helmet, even in places that don't require them.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    Hmm... Given that tidbit, I always wear a helmet, even in places that don't require them.
    Plus, there's the whole "avoiding death or permanent brain damage" thing.

Grant Hutchison

I used to live in NJ (helmets required) and worked in PA (no helmet requirement), and would routinely see motorcyclists donning and doffing helmets at the border.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I wonder if there'll be any way to determine the outcome. Covid cases are counted by home state, and most of those people are not from South Dakota, so I don't expect it to create a significant uptick in SD cases (which have been slowly trending upward for the last three weeks or so anyway).

Is 1/4 million what they're expecting? I think that's about half a "normal" Rally.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    I wonder if there'll be any way to determine the outcome. Covid cases are counted by home state, and most of those people are not from South Dakota, so I don't expect it to create a significant uptick in SD cases (which have been slowly trending upward for the last three weeks or so anyway).

Is 1/4 million what they're expecting? I think that's about half a "normal" Rally.
    1/4 million is what I've been hearing, but I don't think there's any way to know for sure. 60% of the town preferred to cancel it but the $$$ won out.

As you say, "contact tracing" is going to be tough.

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Plus, there's the whole "avoiding death or permanent brain damage" thing.

Grant Hutchison
    I was super young and super stupid.
    Solfe

Ok, I didn't know which COVID-19 thread to post this in. The NFL is allowing some players to sit out this season. Ok, I'm good with that. But if some players want to play, they need to be tested daily.

The daily testing is the part that makes me go "hmmm." Are Covid tests really meant for daily use? Isn't there some sort of delay in waiting for results? It almost seems like the NLF is doing a science experiment to find out where and how testing can fail.

I would like to think that there is some sort of medical testing that is so simple that it always works, but I can't think of a single example.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    The daily testing is the part that makes me go "hmmm." Are Covid tests really meant for daily use? Isn't there some sort of delay in waiting for results? It almost seems like the NLF is doing a science experiment to find out where and how testing can fail.
    This a pretty common approach to getting various elite sports going again while minimizing the risk of transmission within the competitor "bubble". The idea is to get as prompt warning as possible if someone within that bubble becomes infective.
    I can't really see what failure mode you're worried about, or if you feel there's any better way to do it.

Grant Hutchison

Oh darn.

We've had some community transmission occur. Auckland (NZ largest city) on "level 3" lockdown, rest of the country at "level 2". They say for just 3 days, but everybody is taking that with a pinch of salt.

My phone made the "nuclear war" or "tsunami alert" sounds last night at around 10 pm so the Govt could tell me.

Then at 1 am I was woken by the text-alert system from the place I'm working at. Then another 9. Then another 10 at 1:15 am. I turned off my phone.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.