Page 32 of 45 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Thread: The COVID-19 Discussion Thread (OTB)

I've worked the crap jobs you take because you can't get anything else. So my view is not just that of a recipient. I can easily see myself in the position of the caller.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    Here's the thing, though. It's not like the person making the calls is flipping through their very own copy of the DNC list before dialing. AIUI, DNC registered numbers are suppose to be excluded by the time the caller gets their call sheet or it's done behind the scenes in the autodialing system. That system is on the owners/operators of the telemarketing firm and no one else.
    For a time, companies by and large followed the national Do Not Call list. But that changed. My experience for some time has been that most telemarketers were spoofing their numbers and ignoring Do Not Call. If someone worked for these companies, I’d expect they would understand pretty quickly that the company wasn’t playing by the rules. I felt no reason to spare their feelings, because they clearly didn’t care about mine.

In practice, though, I changed how I answer the landline phone. I have Caller ID with a voice announcement feature and I have it go to voicemail. I rarely answer the phone directly unless I’m waiting for a call or hear a familiar name. I just check occasionally for voicemail. Most of the time the telemarketers don’t bother to leave any.

With that in mind, my practice is to be polite but very brief, direct, and firm. After all, my guess is that they don't really want to waste their time with me any more than I want them to waste my time. However, if they're rude, obviously deceptive, ignore my request to put my number on their DNC list, etc...well, Emily Post is out the window.
    Years ago, before the legal Do Not Call list, I remember trying for a while politely asking to be put on a company’s own DNC list. I would often get a polite response . . . then a call from the same company in a day or two. Even a second or third request didn’t matter. It became obvious that the requests were almost always ignored. I stopped seeing any point in being polite.

Speaking of windows, that goes double for "Microsft Technical Support" calls, when said window will be on the 10th floor or higher.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." ó Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Just keep in mind, the person you're talking to is at the bottom-most end of the business decision making pyramid.

Back on topic, we got a Christmas card from a cousin in Kansas. A cousin on the other side of his family died of Covid-19. Another one also died of undisclosed causes. So along with my cousin who died in April, that's at least two cousins he's lost to Covid.
    My cousin in California who was diagnosed recently says she's doing ok. She got a monoclonal antibody infusion at the University of California, Irvine medical center. I'm not sure how available that is to everyone, but she's an emeritus professor.

"Our kids" -- my niece and her husband -- are going to Idaho for the holidays to see the rest of her family. They promise to be safe, but I worry anyhow.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Best of luck and safety to them, Trebuchet.

This could go in a ďbugs meď thread, but may fit better here.
    We postponed our Christmas Eve celebration at my brotherí house -a family event thatís been happening since sometime in the 1950s. So, Iím a little annoyed that I spotted my next door neighbors on both sides loading luggage in their respective cars and driving off yesterday.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    In practice, though, I changed how I answer the landline phone. I have Caller ID with a voice announcement feature and I have it go to voicemail. I rarely answer the phone directly unless I’m waiting for a call or hear a familiar name. I just check occasionally for voicemail. Most of the time the telemarketers don’t bother to leave any.
    That's how I handle it. The IP through which I get my landline phone service has a pretty decent robo-call catcher. Anything else that gets through I look at the caller ID first, and if I don't know them, I let it go to voicemail. I don't recall the last time I actually spoke with a human on a spam call.

If somehow I actually do end up talking to a human, I just hang-up on them. If that's rude, so be it.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    This could go in a “bugs me“ thread, but may fit better here.
    We postponed our Christmas Eve celebration at my brother’ house -a family event that’s been happening since sometime in the 1950s. So, I’m a little annoyed that I spotted my next door neighbors on both sides loading luggage in their respective cars and driving off yesterday.
    You can console yourself with knowing you are wiser than your neighbors.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    "Our kids" -- my niece and her husband -- are going to Idaho for the holidays to see the rest of her family. They promise to be safe, but I worry anyhow.
    I'm nervous enough having relatives socially distanced for a few minutes to give the kids presents.

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    If somehow I actually do end up talking to a human, I just hang-up on them. If that's rude, so be it.
    I genuinely preferred that when I was doing the job.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

In my min-wage jobs I actually was relived when irate customers asked to speak to my manager. Usually, as lowest on the food chain, I was subject to venom over stuff that I had zero control over.

Back on topic, I've heard it suggested that 2020 school transcripts and resumes/CV just have "Oops, Covid year" written over them, excusing folks since grades and job experience has sucked so much this year due to outside events.

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    Back on topic, I've heard it suggested that 2020 school transcripts and resumes/CV just have "Oops, Covid year" written over them, excusing folks since grades and job experience has sucked so much this year due to outside events.
    We had summer interns working for our company who never entered the office. They only interacted remotely. For security reasons, there are no cameras on our laptops, making a bad situation worse.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Our younger son (who lives in LA) texted us a couple of days ago that he has tested positive for Covid-19. ...
    Four days symptom free.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Four days symptom free.
    Good to hear.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    I've done the job, and it's awful. And someone I knew online, who I mentioned that to, said I should've starved on the street before doing such an odious job.
    Well, that just... rude. In many cases the person on the other end of the phone is either trying to get something fixed or trying fix something that shouldn't be a problem but is.
    Solfe

Four days symptom free.
    That's good news. *knocks wood*

Four days symptom free.
    Excellent! Hang in there.
    Solfe

The USA has vaccinated about a million people so far. But in the same period of time more than two million tested positive. We've got a long way to go, especially since no one has yet had the second dose.

Socially distanced Christmas visit from my sister. I had to find a safety pin for her girlfriend, because the elastic on her mask broke just as she was getting out of the car!

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

We played a prank on Christmas eve. We identified a family member that was at home and sang carols at them. Sort of like a mistimed flash mob. Each car load was from the same household and didn't interact with any other car load of people. We picked my wife's aunt and uncle. They didn't come outside, but they could hear the god awful racket in the middle of their living room. Then we all went home and had pasta. The same lasagna recipe in 5 different houses. It was a pretty good night.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    We played a prank on Christmas eve. We identified a family member that was at home and sang carols at them. Sort of like a mistimed flash mob. Each car load was from the same household and didn't interact with any other car load of people. We picked my wife's aunt and uncle. They didn't come outside, but they could hear the god awful racket in the middle of their living room. Then we all went home and had pasta. The same lasagna recipe in 5 different houses. It was a pretty good night.
    Normally I'm against pranks but that sounds excellent.

This morning my mother suggested that the night before when out looking at Christmas lights we should have gotten out at the house of one of nieces friends place. They weren't at home so we didn't get charged for noise pollution in allowing me to sing.

Normally I'm against pranks but that sounds excellent.
    The funny bit was they had no way of knowing how many car loads of people were out there. We drove by two more times and they thought we were gonna start again.
    Solfe

My wife is scheduled for her first dose the vaccine next week. She's a nurse. I would imagine I'll have to wait a few months because I am not a high priority essential worker. My random best guess for myself is someplace in July or August. I am kind of hopeful that as they roll out more of these vaccines, the process will get smoother and faster.

On the flip slid, while I am an technically an essential worker, my employer is taking social distancing rather serious and it far safer than working in a school. I feel pretty comfortable waiting.
    Solfe

On the flip slid,
    Cool, daddio.

A friend got her first dose on the solstice, which we all felt nicely thematically appropriate about--the coming of the light, after all--and the hope I felt from that kind of balanced the news that a friend's dad had died of it. Like, I'm sorry for my friend, goodness knows. And I know it doesn't balance to him, and I know he's going to have his feelings about it as he should. But I never met his dad, and he's not a close friend, so it's only slightly less abstract than average. It's still the balance of a death and the start of a chance at life.

"You can't erase icing."

Cool, daddio.
    It galls me that I am the reason we can't edit things after a while. A while back, I noticed a legit post and responded by copying the whole thing to a text file. Then a few days later, I noticed the OP had changed the text of their message to something spammy.

My basement is flooding. I am super grouchy and while looking for something to help at the store, someone tried to tell me how dangerous this vaccine was. I couldn't escape because I was in a long line and I am not enough of a monster to fake a cough. That ended in me biting my tongue for about 15 minutes. Under normal circumstances, I am a really high risk person. I refuse to drag other people along for the ride they probably don't want, so most people don't notice. If they had asked me I wanted the prototype vaccine before animal testing, I would have asked how many lives (including animals) it could save. I would have said "yes" if the number was bigger than 1. It's just the way I am built.

Now, I am trying to suss out how dangerous some of the hairbrained things I have actual done were. I was doing pheresis for blood type anitbodies. It's used for rhogam, a medicine for pregnant women. I signed up to be injected with no more than 50 ml of the wrong blood type. Usually the real "dose" was less than 10 ml, often 5 or 7. Every time I went they had a cart ready in case something went very wrong. They advised me that it's not like TV, they probably give me a couple of shots instead of going at me with the paddles. Once, they hit me with coumadin because something when little wrong. When I saw the needle coming, I was a little concerned. In retrospect, I suspect it was a lot more dangerous than I believed.

As an inherent risk taker, I have a hard time understanding how others evaluate risk. Lotto tickets at one in a few hundred million is ok, but a shot with a chance of going wrong in a few tens of millions is bad. I often think they gloss over whole orders of magnitude when evaluating. What is interesting about being the way I am, I oddly don't like to gamble with money even though I am good at card games and pool.
    Solfe

Here in the U.S., 1 of every 17 people in the U.S. has been infected, and 1 in 1,000 has died. Yet they say the worst may lie ahead.

I guess I've been fortunate so far that my biggest cross to bear has been a bad case of mask rash.

I found out lat night there ha been one case in my county of 30,000, the province as a whole has had 592 cases in a population of about 750,000 people. The Country as a whole has had 457,413 cases.

Have others here had a bit of hypochondria this year? For me, itís not that extreme, but for instance, fairly recently soon after a supply run, I started sneezing often enough to notice and had a couple annoying headaches in a short period. Thing is, neither of those are exactly unknown events for me, and I suspected it was most likely due to a weather change (for sneezing) and not getting enough sleep one or two nights (for headaches), but it was hard not to feel a bit concerned. Earlier this year, I started getting a runny nose and headache, and started to get really concerned, then remembered I had used a leaf blower the day before near a tree that dropped a lot of small stuff around. Again, though, I felt a small amount of anxiety until it fully faded out (which took two or three days, and I did take some antihistamines). Iíve had another couple situations like that.

Normally, I just wouldnít get concerned by a stuffy, runny nose or a bout of sneezing, but I am this year, even if I can mostly put a lid on the concern. I wonder how common that is, and how it is affecting people who are hypochondriacs under normal conditions?

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." ó Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser