Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324

Thread: The COVID-19 Discussion Thread (OTB)

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Surely, even in the days before Covid-19, there were many children whose weekend plans were pretty much exactly the same for months on end?
    Yes, mine generally were. Run around or ride bikes outside. Watch TV. Have meals. When under duress, do some homework. Sleep. Repeat as necessary.
    As above, so below

You may run the risk of raising a cynic, but he could write an essay with excruciating detail about something like brushing his teeth, including a transcription of the label from the toothpaste tube. ďThe inactive ingredients are water, sorbitol, hydrated silica...Ē
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

The IEP coordinator got back to me, and the kids will now be allowed to essentially write book reports that day instead. Those days, I should say--in third grade, I had to write a weekly "what did I do on my weekend?" essay myself that was "I stayed home. I did yard work. I fought with my sisters" every week. But that wasn't a pandemic, and even if it had been, it was only once a week! I strongly suspect there are going to be a lot of book reports from his class.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

They're missing an opportunity for creative writing. "What I'd Like to Do This Weekend."
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    They're missing an opportunity for creative writing. "What I'd Like to Do This Weekend."
    That sounds like a good idea. I’ve regularly been thinking about things I’d like to do locally and otherwise, I have been finding myself looking at travel sites or shows I usually wouldn’t bother with or thinking about things I want worked on in my house but don’t want the workers inside now. Or going to restaurants I don’t go to that often but am missing now, or a number of other things I’m avoiding because I don’t want to get sick. And of course, there’s the rather limited Thanksgiving this year.

I’m sure kids would have their own lists, and there is no reason they would have to stick to present day reality for creative writing. A trip to the Moon or a fantasy world, for instance, would be fair game.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." ó Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

How about "If I were teaching this class."

Thanksgiving was a disaster. It was just 9 of us, one under the state regulated limits. Society is starting to breakdown. In the middle of the ball game, my sister-in-law decided that we'd all enjoy the 2019 film version of Cats. Ah... no. No one enjoyed that. Then she went on a 2 hour tirade about how poorly her children's remote education was going and it was all the teachers' fault. My other sister-in-law is an English teacher. This enraged her. Thankfully, this distraction allowed me to put the football game back on.

About 60 minutes in to rage-fest, I turned to my niece and asked, "What subject are you having trouble in?"

She replied, "It'd be easier to list the things I'm not having trouble in. I don't turn in any of the assignments."

I told her it takes far more effort to maintain a 58% average than it does to simply turn in the work. I have an agreement with her. When my kids get up for school, I'll text her. When they get done, I text her to check if she turned in her work. No one leaves the house until the work is turned in. It will have to be the honor system for her, but someone has to adult in this and it's not mom.

Then her mom started in on how it would be better to get her kids IEPs. As a teacher in a special education environment, I nearly bit off my tongue and swallowed it. My son who had an IEP in school but graduated this summer, joined the Air Force Reserves and is currently college hunting decided this would be a good time to leave. Ever the funny guy, he almost killed off the whole conversation by shouting out, "Irish Goodbye, Irish Goodbye!"

It was good effort, but didn't work. It did give my other sister-in-law (the teacher) an opportunity to escape with him.

Let us never have another holiday like this one.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    Thanksgiving was a disaster.
    I give thanks that we do not have this holiday here. Rather oddly, we do have Black Friday though.

Society is starting to breakdown.
    I tried to get the attachment to show, but Iím not sure it is working.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C6D1CAEF-06A4-4236-BF4A-286D76CBC6FE.jpeg 
Views:	14 
Size:	54.8 KB 
ID:	25673  
    A: "Things that are equal to the same are equal to each other"
    B: "The two sides of this triangle are things that are equal to the same"
    C: "If A and B are true, Z must be true"
    D: "If A and B and C are true, Z must be true"
    E: "If A and B and C and D are true, Z must be true"

Therefore, Z: "The two sides of this triangle are equal to each other"

My Thanksgiving was very quiet. Yours sounds a little like one or two I’ve had in the past, in comfort level at least. My brother in law has very different political views than I do and on Thanksgiving he seems to think it’s a good day to “enjoy” himself and drink. When he drinks he tends not to be able to take a hint. If he gets on to politics . . . well, I typically beg off on political arguments and try to change the subject but I will reach a point where I’ve had enough. That has ended in extremely uncomfortable holiday get togethers and looking for reasons to break it up early.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." ó Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by 21st Century Schizoid Man View Post
    I give thanks that we do not have this holiday here. Rather oddly, we do have Black Friday though.
    I have had very nice Thanksgivings. Just a few turned out bad because of interpersonal issues, but I really enjoy the meal, and the get togethers can be really nice. Even my brother in law can be great to talk to if he doesn’t get on the (normally understood) forbidden topic. The meal is larger than just about anything else in the year, and typically the work is split up some so there are more dishes to enjoy and ones I don’t usually eat so seem special. Then there are the leftovers which make for easy but tasty meals for a few days (then you’ve had enough and want to switch to something else).

I don’t eat turkey often during a year so that keeps it as something I really enjoy when I do.

This too quiet Thanksgiving is missing something for me. I’ll be happy when things get back to normal.

I tried to get the attachment to show, but I’m not sure it is working.
    Heh, I see it.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

A little while ago saw a report on CNN about the Atlantic bubble. If you not know about it is this the 4 eastern most provinces of Canada, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, PEI and Newfoundland are doing better then most other regions of the country in controlling Covid-19 so we allow travel between the provinces but if you come from outside the provinces you have quarantine for 14 days. There have been somewhat of uptake in cases in New Brunswick and Nova Scotia o in Nova Scotia it is back to restaurant can only do take away and deliveries and stores can can only have 25% their normal occupancy in the store at a time. Over the last 9 months there have some people who have snapped but the most notable was going to do so no matter what, it just took a pandemic and his girlfriend to take unauthorized walk for him to go off on that killing spree. Plus like most of North America there are issues between natives and the rest of us that probably were made heightened in the last month and a half.
    We had our Thanksgiving about a month and nothing happened. We had some food, I worked the auction including picking a table at a house were of course it was in the basement and there had to be at least one point lower than 6 feet. My Brother in law and his father and brother talked about boats for a while.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    She suggested that once, but honestly, it was still just a choice. Which means that his classmates were still writing things, some of them, like "I had a slumber party with my cousins" or similar. So it's still frustrating to the kids who are sensibly not having slumber parties. I agree that more creative writing would be something to start the kids on. For one thing, when I was in second grade, I was writing poetry as a class assignment!

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    She suggested that once, but honestly, it was still just a choice. Which means that his classmates were still writing things, some of them, like "I had a slumber party with my cousins" or similar. So it's still frustrating to the kids who are sensibly not having slumber parties. I agree that more creative writing would be something to start the kids on. For one thing, when I was in second grade, I was writing poetry as a class assignment!
    The children themselves are probably not so diabolic, but if properly manipulated by a sufficiently malevolent adult, I think one could easily produce an essay that would guarantee the weekly assignment would be revised.
    A: "Things that are equal to the same are equal to each other"
    B: "The two sides of this triangle are things that are equal to the same"
    C: "If A and B are true, Z must be true"
    D: "If A and B and C are true, Z must be true"
    E: "If A and B and C and D are true, Z must be true"

Therefore, Z: "The two sides of this triangle are equal to each other"

Quote Originally Posted by 21st Century Schizoid Man View Post

I tried to get the attachment to show, but I’m not sure it is working.
    I can see it. I virtually never participate in Black Friday. On a lark, I have ventured out in the afternoon to buy gift wrap and any remaining bargains that were a miss with other shoppers. I also get take out for the family. Tomorrow, I will make a turkey. This year, I'm skipping going out and I'm debating take out. Take out is kind of low risk, so I think I should.

It is my inclination to argue with people when they say their high schooler is being let down by this whole remote learning thing. It's not optimal, but the standards are much lower. Plus it teaches initiative and time management skills. People with kids who are younger than high school age or have special needs are the ones in serious trouble. Socialization and mentoring that they get in the classroom is utterly impossible right now. Parents who are on the ball can get the academic stuff done, but can't fill in the gaps that remain from not being in a classroom because they can't recreate that experience. Those younger children (or special needs students) are really missing out with no easy solution. On the positive side, this whole scenario is likely building better parents as opposed to teaching academics. Children learn no matter what and at the end of the day, these younger kids are learning right along with mom and dad. It's terrible for state or national standards testing, but parents are probably teaching different, but equally important skills.

Parents are PO'ed that their child isn't learning academic skills, but everyone should value the things parents are teaching. Someone needs to tell these parents that doing your best in rough situation is actually good enough for their child. I think parents get scared when their child "misses out", afraid that they didn't do everything they could do. Teachers should probably take some time out to thank parents for all they do, the same way that parents used to thank good teachers, pre-pandemic.
    Last edited by Solfe; Yesterday at 06:16 PM.
    Solfe

I can see it. I virtually never participate in Black Friday.
    Same here. Even in normal years I hate the loony drivers* and crowded stores. But Iíve also read that Black Friday is fading and changing. Again, even last year a lot of purchases were made online and this year that is increasing dramatically. So this is becoming more of a time when online stores offer deals and drop some prices.

*it seems at this time of non-pandemic years, even normally mild mannered regular drivers become enraged and reckless. Sort of like those rat behavioral tests under crowded conditions.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

The COVID-19 Discussion Thread (OTB)

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    Same here. Even in normal years I hate the loony drivers* and crowded stores. But Iíve also read that Black Friday is fading and changing. Again, even last year a lot of purchases were made online and this year that is increasing dramatically. So this is becoming more of a time when online stores offer deals and drop some prices.

*it seems at this time of non-pandemic years, even normally mild mannered regular drivers become enraged and reckless. Sort of like those rat behavioral tests under crowded conditions.
    Iíve noticed that a lot of stores are extending Black Friday deals both beyond and in advance of the date. This might also be a Covid-19 reaction to stimulate sales.

ETA: And also to manage crowds that typically gather on Black Friday.
    Last edited by schlaugh; Yesterday at 09:49 PM.