Page 74 of 79 FirstFirst ... 24647273747576 ... LastLast
Results 2,191 to 2,220 of 2357

Thread: The COVID-19 Discussion Thread (OTB)

No vaccine cards in these parts. After a shaky start when the system was overloaded, the Scottish vaccine status phone app seems to be working OK, in our house at least.
    I downloaded the app, used my phone to capture an image of my photo ID, proved the photo ID belonged to me using facial recognition, confirmed that the data captured from my photo ID were correct, and presto! the app retrieved my vaccination record, and now displays it on my phone as text and a QR code.

So Covid has now given me three reasons to lug around my phone, unfortunately. As well as the vaccination status app, I have an app that lets me log in and out of venues by scanning a QR code, so that I can be pinged if a case is subsequently identified in that location at the time I visited; and to get into my mother's care home I need to be able to show evidence of a recent negative test, which arrives by text message.

Grant Hutchison
    Science Denier and Government Sponsored Propagandist. Here to help.
    Blog

I just want people to keep my nose out of their medical business. I'm sick. Zero people want me around because I'm hacking and wheezing. I've been sick for a little more than 2 weeks. I'm kind of done with it.

This evening I've had another Covid test, which makes 3 or 4 in 2 weeks. I've honestly lost track. This was about 5 minutes after an X-ray to see if I had pneumonia. The radiologist came in the room to tell me I had pneumonia and probably didn't need the Covid test. Too late.

You know what would really damage my sanity? Having Covid and pneumonia, so I want those test results back ASAP. I don't feel pneumonia sick, so doubt I have any chance of actually having two bad things at once.
    Solfe

No vaccine cards here either. The vaccinations are recorded on our version of a National Health System and in a few weeks an 'app' will allow it to be displayed to use for QR codes etc - so I suppose similar to the Scottish one Grant mentioned. It will also be 'attached' to your passport for international travel. You can also print out a copy of your vaccination status.

In some good news our vaccination programme, after a late start waiting for supply, is finally well advanced. On a national basis 82% of the population over 16 have had at least their first dose with around 61% being fully vaccinated. Not surprisingly, the states which have been in lockdown with Covid outbreaks for the last couple of months are further advanced than those states which have avoided infection breakouts. For example in New South Wales just over 90% of those over 16 have had at least their first dose. While here and in Queensland the same demographic is at just under 70% first dose. As usual danger concentrates the mind wonderfully.

Access to vaccinations for those aged 12 - 16 have only been approved for a few weeks and the national first dose rate for that age group is 50%. The first dose rate for all those eligible - aged over 12 - is around 80% and about 68% of the total population have had at least their first dose. By the end of the year almost all of those entitled to vaccination, not counting those who refuse to be vaccinated which is currently looking to be at around 6 or 7% of the eligible population, will have been vaccinated.

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post

You know what would really damage my sanity? Having Covid and pneumonia, so I want those test results back ASAP. I don't feel pneumonia sick, so doubt I have any chance of actually having two bad things at once.
    Iím sorry to hear about that. I hope you get better soon. It seems youíve had enough misfortunes for one year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    I’m sorry to hear about that. I hope you get better soon. It seems you’ve had enough misfortunes for one year.

Yeah, this has been a rough year.

The onset of this was the ultimate medical mystery. First, 2 of my younger kids got a cold and gave it to my wife. Then I got sick enough to go for Covid testing. Finally, my oldest got his Covid shot and didn't feel so hot afterwards. That was all over a three week period. I kept telling myself, "Everyone's sick. It's just a very bad cold."

Of course, I relayed all of this information to my doctor, which in retrospect probably didn't help him figure it out until the 2-3 week mark. I really have no idea how doctors and nurses parse so much irrelevant data to get to the actual correct answer. That's under the best conditions. Add in this pandemic and things get messy. I really don't know how they do it.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    Iím sorry to hear about that. I hope you get better soon. It seems youíve had enough misfortunes for one year.

The onset of this was the ultimate medical mystery. First, 2 of my younger kids got a cold and gave it to my wife. Then I got sick enough to go for Covid testing. Finally, my oldest got his Covid shot and didn't feel so hot afterwards. That was all over a three week period. I kept telling myself, "Everyone's sick. It's just a very bad cold."

Of course, I relayed all of this information to my doctor, which in retrospect probably didn't help him figure it out until the 2-3 week mark. I really have no idea how doctors and nurses parse so much irrelevant data to get to the actual correct answer. That's under the best conditions. Add in this pandemic and things get messy. I really don't know how they do it. It is amazing that they can do it.
    Solfe

Of course, I relayed all of this information to my doctor, which in retrospect probably didn't help him figure it out until the 2-3 week mark. I really have no idea how doctors and nurses parse so much irrelevant data to get to the actual correct answer. That's under the best conditions. Add in this pandemic and things get messy. I really don't know how they do it. It is amazing that they can do it.
    You are certainly your not having the best of times of late. Hopefully the swings of roundabouts of life will put you on the upswing soon.

Last week, my employer announced a COVID-19 vaccine mandate for all employees. They also announced that they were hosting an on-site clinic later this week. Today, they announced that no more appointments are available.

I guess loss of employment is a strong incentive.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    Last week, my employer announced a COVID-19 vaccine mandate for all employees. They also announced that they were hosting an on-site clinic later this week. Today, they announced that no more appointments are available.

I guess loss of employment is a strong incentive.
    Ya, think!!?

Quote Originally Posted by bknight View Post
    Ya, think!!?
    Depends on how it is done. My wife works in a hospital that lost more vaccinated staff than unvaccinated staff. The issue was someone said, "You can be replaced," to all nursing staff and didn't bother to check how that sounded. The quick take was (some unspecified number) vaccinated staff said, "go ahead and replace us, if that's how you're going to talk to us".

Now there is a local strike happening and the nurses that voluntarily left a hospital job are racking in cash crossing that picket line to replace their coworkers that stayed. I can't imagine that's a great situation because the staff that left voluntarily are now back and working with people who couldn't be civil to them. And making something like 10 times their normal pay.

I'm kind of in the same boat. I work in a massive call center network with over a dozen call centers. Earlier this year the company re-tasked two call centers (Not outsourced, these workers now have different jobs) on the concept that call center staff were easy to replace. Worse, people were notified day of change and no one was happy. Foolish.

Now months later, they know these staff can't be easily replaced, the company is getting grumbles that vaccinated staff are willing to leave to avoid the annoyance of endless overtime and customers screaming over long waits when a mandate causes more staffing issues. This is a company with good pay and great/amazing benefits and they can't get workers.

Just to be clear, this has zero to do with Covid or mandates and everything to do with sticking your foot in your mouth. What is happening at my company was profoundly poor thinking and a mandate is just amplifying tone deafness.
    Solfe

As I hear the pushback against the vaccine I keep thinking "you wouldn't be complaining about masks, mandates and vaccines if this was Ebola or small pox, would ya?"

And then I think, that yeah, people probably would still whine. Even George Washington's soldiers didn't want a mandatory smallpox inoculation.

I don't think that hypodermic needles were available in Washington's time. The HBO John Adams series showed the medics carrying about an infected person in a cart, so that they could scrape some pus from his/her wounds into slashes made in the recipient's arm.
    That must have been scary, even for non-soldiers!

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    I don't think that hypodermic needles were available in Washington's time. The HBO John Adams series showed the medics carrying about an infected person in a cart, so that they could scrape some pus from his/her wounds into slashes made in the recipient's arm.
    That must have been scary, even for non-soldiers!
    That's actually the original (medical) meaning of inoculation--depositing an infectious inoculum of smallpox pus or scabs into a cut in the skin. (More of an incision than a slash, to be fair.) Before the eighteenth century, to inoculate meant to insert the bud of one plant into the stem of another, as a way of propagating by grafting. So you can see the connection between the horticultural and the medical usages.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

I received my Moderna booster today (shhhh....I have low friends in high places). So far no reaction at all, especially when compared to my second dose this past February.

Of course, ask me tomorrow....

The COVID-19 Discussion Thread (OTB)

The US FDA committee is recommending boosters for all J&J recipients 18 and older. FDA approval and CDC guidance is expected in about a week. No official word yet regarding mixing vaccines for boosters.

This will probably annoy folks here, but some of the comments are funny. Here is an article about a private school in Florida that says if students get a Covid-19 vaccine shot, they are to not return to school for 30 days, and recommend they wait until summer break if they want to get a vaccination. Why? Because they are concerned about “potential transmission or shedding onto others.” However, that’s impossible with these vaccines because they don’t use live viruses. The only way someone could transmit the disease is if they were infected the old fashioned way.

Anyway, this is a typical example where they claim not to be anti-vax but use common anti-vax arguments and claims. After this made the news and doctors pointed out there was no medical justification for the 30 day quarantine, they still didn’t change their position and claimed it was for the students’ safety. Yeah, right.

Ironically, they call themselves “The Brain School.”

I can only hope the parents pull their kids from school permanently.

Here’s the Ars Technica article:

https://arstechnica.com/science/2021...ot/?comments=1

The first comment is:

“The brain school? More like Midvale School for the Gifted.”

For those who aren’t familiar, that’s from a Gary Larson cartoon where a student is seen pushing ineffectively on a door labeled with a “pull” sign.

Another comment compared them to Star Trek’s Pakled. In universe, they are . . . not the brightest species, but they like to boast. Nobody seems quite sure how they managed to get into space or how they can keep their ships working.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." ó Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

One thing this pandemic has highlighted is how little most of the general public, including the highly educated general public, have known about the absolute basics of infectious diseases and treatments thereof.
    When I was a kid there was a certification called "Anatomy, Physiology and Health" that one could study for at school, but it was seen as a bit of a soft option that people only went for if they were seeking a university place but were short of the requisite certificates in the perceived "core" subjects like History, English, Chemistry, and so on. But it provided a really good "survival guide" grounding that non-medical people could call upon in later life in their dealings with medicine and doctors.
    So now I'm hoping that someone who gets to make these decisions is seriously considering moving something like AP&H into the core curriculum for all school leavers. (Then again, I once suffered from the delusion that children nowadays would necessarily be leaving school equipped with some basic IT survival skills.)

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

I'm still stuck. I still have pneumonia. My employer has one of those portals for COVID screening:

"Have you taken your temperature today? Was it over 100 degrees? If no do you have any the following symptoms...? Have you been exposed to COVID?" If you answer any of the last three questions "yes", you can't come to work. A grumpy HR rep calls you.

My employer has run out of patience, they really need me to have COVID, not pneumonia. I was ordered to return to work immediately, despite having pneumonia. My doctor has me going for a second chest X-Ray and has provided me with a note off of work until the 25th. My employer directed me to fill out the COVID portal form, which caused them to call me and advise me not to come back to work until I have a COVID test. They expect me to return by 3 pm today (3 minutes ago), as soon as the symptoms are resolved.

Today, in a moment of crystal clear lunacy, I recalled the film Demolition Man. It's a funny film where Sylvester Stallone wakes up to find he's a cop turned felon in country where Arnold Schwarzenegger is president AND all restaurants are Taco Bell. It's only the last item that he can't understand.

My employer has reached the point where all medicine is Taco Bell and has gone mad.
    Solfe

My employer has run out of patience, they really need me to have COVID, not pneumonia. I was ordered to return to work immediately, despite having pneumonia.
    Interesting approach. I wonder what they did when their employees called in with pneumonia in the Before Times.

Then again, when I used to work as a server in a restaurant, my employer once ordered me to return to work (ie, threatened to fire me if I didn't show up) when I had dysentery. An actual culture-proven, notifiable, faecal-oral infectious disease.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    One thing this pandemic has highlighted is how little most of the general public, including the highly educated general public, have known about the absolute basics of infectious diseases and treatments thereof.
    When I was a kid there was a certification called "Anatomy, Physiology and Health" that one could study for at school, but it was seen as a bit of a soft option that people only went for if they were seeking a university place but were short of the requisite certificates in the perceived "core" subjects like History, English, Chemistry, and so on. But it provided a really good "survival guide" grounding that non-medical people could call upon in later life in their dealings with medicine and doctors.
    So now I'm hoping that someone who gets to make these decisions is seriously considering moving something like AP&H into the core curriculum for all school leavers. (Then again, I once suffered from the delusion that children nowadays would necessarily be leaving school equipped with some basic IT survival skills.)

Grant Hutchison
    That would be excellent. You'd get my approval on that one. In NY we're trying to get basic CPR in to the curriculum.

CRP is a lot different than AP&H and basically a response to a single local event. A school has a number of staff trained in CRP, then had an event where none of them were there. It was needed and a student died. There were couple hundred people standing there an no one knew CPR. A year later and most of the teachers and staff had the training, plus many of the parents and even some of the students. Now the family of the student is pushing for CRP in the school curriculum. They have been pushing for about 3-4 years.
    Solfe

Interesting approach. I wonder what they did when their employees called in with pneumonia in the Before Times.

Then again, when I used to work as a server in a restaurant, my employer once ordered me to return to work (ie, threatened to fire me if I didn't show up) when I had dysentery. An actual culture-proven, notifiable, faecal-oral infectious disease.

Grant Hutchison
    I'm not exactly sure what is happening. I have a doctor's note that says "Please excuse me from 9/27/2021 until pneumonia is resolved." They don't know what to do with that because there is no end date. I've actually had a conversation where they want to accept the note for exactly 9/27, today (being whatever day I reference the note) but not both and certainly not any of the days in between.

If I had COVID I would isolate, go to the hospital and/or die in short order, like 5-10 days. I am not meeting expectations.
    Solfe

My employerís portal runs through the standard COVID-19 questionnaire, but includes an allowance for the symptoms being diagnosed as something else. However Iím pretty sure they had seasonal allergies in mind, not pneumonia.

That said, if I was out since 9/27, they may require me to apply for short term disability (not sure when that applies). Maybe thatís the issue- any more time off is gonna increase their insurance premiums.

I'm not exactly sure what is happening. I have a doctor's note that says "Please excuse me from 9/27/2021 until pneumonia is resolved."
    Ah, that's interesting. In the UK you always get "signed off" for a given period of time. If you feel unable to return to work at the end of the appointed period, you then need to be medically reviewed and signed off again. It lets your employer know that you'll either come back to work on the appointed date, or be formally reviewed by a doctor. As someone who used to run the largest medical on-call rota in the hospital, I dread to think what would have happened if "open ended" sign-offs were legal tender. (That said, most of my hassle came from doctors coming back to work too early, rather than staying off too long.)

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Ah, that's interesting. In the UK you always get "signed off" for a given period of time. If you feel unable to return to work at the end of the appointed period, you then need to be medically reviewed and signed off again. It lets your employer know that you'll either come back to work on the appointed date, or be formally reviewed by a doctor. As someone who used to run the largest medical on-call rota in the hospital, I dread to think what would have happened if "open ended" sign-offs were legal tender. (That said, most of my hassle came from doctors coming back to work too early, rather than staying off too long.)

Grant Hutchison
    I'm not sure what is the norm in New York, but HR managed to antagonize the doctor. Norms are not an option anymore.

At this point, I am starting to wonder if I have a stake in this situation at all, other than to get better. I don't even care about the job anymore. Theoretically, they could fire me on the spot. Or, I could invoke my right to leave with no notice. Or, I could go off on leave for an extended period of time. I really don't feel good and like none of the option.
    Solfe

My employer has run out of patience, they really need me to have COVID, not pneumonia.
    I just wanted to ask something because I might be missing something. I think that the real concern with COVID is that COVID leads to pneumonia. I just wanted to be sure, you have been tested for COVID but the tests come back negative, and so you have some kind of bacterial pneumonia?
    As above, so below

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France

Grant Hutchison
    At my school we had an unusual teacher who offered a “wine, women and song” class which was well attended but covered none of those topics. He did however instruct how to make tea, and various basic cooking techniques, how to challenge authority, basic self defence, and the maxim that if a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, just to try it. It was , in short , life skills not on the curriculum. I discovered the O and A level human biology classes and Exams much later, they should be taught to everyone, but are not to be found in UK primary or secondary schools.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

I can guarantee you everyone my age who graduated from the California schools had to pass health class in junior high and then again in high school, plus a year of either "life science" or biology, in order to graduate. I can also assure you that not only did some people not learn from that, some of those people are also insisting they weren't taught it at all.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

My high school "health" classes consisted of films about the horrors of venereal disease and marijuana. Boys and girls attended separately. I'm not even sure if the girls got the same films.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

If I hadn't gone for an AP&H Higher certificate in my final year at secondary school, the only training in basic infection control I would have had would have been learning to wash my hands thoroughly while singing a little song (for timing, I forget the song) during the 1964 typhoid outbreak in Aberdeen.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    My high school "health" classes consisted of films about the horrors of venereal disease and marijuana. Boys and girls attended separately. I'm not even sure if the girls got the same films.
    And don't forget the horror films about poor automobile driving and accidents. Yuck.