Thread: Betelgeuse and Pandemic

Betelgeuse and Pandemic

According to legend, some ancient people considered dramatic astronomical events as signs of impending doom. Supposedly a comet would foretell drought or some such thing.

Superstition hasnít totally left the human psyche, so Iím a bit surprised that I havenít heard of anyone trying to link the Fainting of Betelgeuse* with the pandemic currently plaguing the Earth.

I donít want to start a CT, but has anyone heard of such claims? I keep my exposure to social media limited, so I might have missed it.

*We have a science-based thread with that title on this board, but I canít figure out how to link it using Tapatalk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    According to legend, some ancient people considered dramatic astronomical events as signs of impending doom. Supposedly a comet would foretell drought or some such thing.

Superstition hasn’t totally left the human psyche, so I’m a bit surprised that I haven’t heard of anyone trying to link the Fainting of Betelgeuse* with the pandemic currently plaguing the Earth.

I don’t want to start a CT, but has anyone heard of such claims? I keep my exposure to social media limited, so I might have missed it.

*We have a science-based thread with that title on this board, but I can’t figure out how to link it using Tapatalk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Not Betelgeuse but other astrological significance is rife. The funny part is that for any such event, you can find both very positive and very negative associations in about equal measure. If you want to test that search the significance of the “pluto return” for the USA. I will not delve into that but its easy to find if you want to test superstition today.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

I haven’t heard anything about Betelgeuse. I did see this:

https://www.space.com/coronavirus-no...ter-space.html

with Chandra Wickramasinghe making unsupported claims (like many of his claims) that Covid-19 came from space. He is very big on panspermia claims, getting so far outside of evidence supported science that it enters well into the realm of pseudoscience.

I saw someone linking the recent comet with the disease in a comment I saw somewhere (don’t have a link) which was very much like old superstition. However, from a google search, comet+pandemic claims don’t appear common. I have seen a number of non-space virus conspiracy claims, of course, without even trying.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." ó Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    I haven’t heard anything about Betelgeuse. I did see this:

https://www.space.com/coronavirus-no...ter-space.html

with Chandra Wickramasinghe making unsupported claims (like many of his claims) that Covid-19 came from space. He is very big on panspermia claims, getting so far outside of evidence supported science that it enters well into the realm of pseudoscience.

I saw someone linking the recent comet with the disease in a comment I saw somewhere (don’t have a link) which was very much like old superstition. However, from a google search, comet+pandemic claims don’t appear common. I have seen a number of non-space virus conspiracy claims, of course, without even trying.
    It’s nonsense of course, derived by pure whimsy or linked to ideas that meteorites might carry bacteria, which ironically probably is the reason comets are always bad news in astrology. I guess there is folk memory of impacts which are surely bad news.!
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.

People might be mis-remembering The Andromeda Strain or The Colour from Outer Space, especially the latter.
    Do good work. óVirgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

The main conspiracy theory at the moment seems to be that it is caused by 5G telephone networks.

Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    The main conspiracy theory at the moment seems to be that it is caused by 5G telephone networks.
    So what's the story? They broadcast at the resonant frequency of the virus, or something like that?
    A: "Things that are equal to the same are equal to each other"
    B: "The two sides of this triangle are things that are equal to the same"
    C: "If A and B are true, Z must be true"
    D: "If A and B and C are true, Z must be true"
    E: "If A and B and C and D are true, Z must be true"

Therefore, Z: "The two sides of this triangle are equal to each other"

Quote Originally Posted by 21st Century Schizoid Man View Post
    So what's the story? They broadcast at the resonant frequency of the virus, or something like that?
    Truly debunked, it is heating of the brain by the transmission, has been thoroughly tested and no change from previous phones. But remember the Nocebo effect. I know people who get headaches using phones.
    sicut vis videre esto

Oddly, this article on diseases from Mars has appeared.

https://www.space.com/mars-sample-re...da-strain.html

Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    "I'd rather have a frontal lobotomy than a 5G in front of me."

5G antennas masts have been burned here, and I believe in the UK too. Would it surprise anyone that a certain icky mr Icke was involved in that story?

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

Quote Originally Posted by slang View Post
    Would it surprise anyone that a certain icky mr Icke was involved in that story?
    No way. The Lizard Man?

If you wear a tin foil hat in public. People will think you're weird and stay away from you. Lessening your chances of contracting Covid-19. And that is backed up by science. I'm pretty sure I saw it somewhere on the internet. Or I may have just made it up. Can't remember.

Oh gosh.

Watching the news I think I saw in a crowd of anti-lock-down protesters a large banner reading something like "[state] won't take the mark of the beast", and some reference presumably to one of the ideas for a virus-free ID card kind of thing.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

Oh gosh.

Watching the news I think I saw in a crowd of anti-lock-down protesters a large banner reading something like "[state] won't take the mark of the beast", and some reference presumably to one of the ideas for a virus-free ID card kind of thing.
    Yeah, that's a popular one generally associated with Bill Gates, who wants to develop a way to track who's been vaccinated.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Now I don’t believe the 5G thing myself—but I do wonder if field effects might one day play a role in medicine.
    Could a virus be thought of as a tiny antenna/rheometry model?
    Some large molecules might be thought of as a discrete atom in “super chemistry.”

How do virus sized things “feel” field effects?

Quote Originally Posted by publiusr View Post
    Now I don’t believe the 5G thing myself—but I do wonder if field effects might one day play a role in medicine.
    Could a virus be thought of as a tiny antenna/rheometry model?
    Some large molecules might be thought of as a discrete atom in “super chemistry.”

How do virus sized things “feel” field effects?
    OK, this thread started out barely meeting our requirements for the CT sub-forum (like being astronomy/space related), but now it has gone completely off the rails. Closed. If someone has some really good reason to reopen this thread, please report this post and explain your reasons.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules