Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who decided that in the future we'd all be wearing form-fitting clothing?

Who decided that in the future we'd all be wearing form-fitting clothing?

I've always been puzzled by that; as if vanity no longer existed in the future.

Actually what's struck me about fashion is how little it's changed over the last century. True, we've had various ins and outs, but the sum total of what we wear has not changed since the invention of the sewing machine and synthetic fiber. It is truly striking in retrospect how much impact industrial sewing had on our dress preferences; tougher stitching meant we could ditch capes, cloaks and petticoats and just combine them all into one jacket. What technological evolutions will we see that could change what we wear?
    "Occam" is the name of the alien race that will enslave us all eventually. And they've got razors for hands. I don't know if that's true but it seems like the simplest answer."

Stephen Colbert.

Who decided that in the future we'd all be wearing form-fitting clothing?
    Hollywood, largely.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

I dunno. I see so many people whose forms do not fit into their clothes at all.

Why can't I wear a shirt with a V on the front like in Lost in Space episodes?
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

Quote Originally Posted by parallaxicality View Post
    True, we've had various ins and outs, but the sum total of what we wear has not changed since the invention of the sewing machine and synthetic fiber.
    Well, in the present I see a lot of yoga pants when I go out to stores. That seems like less fabric.

It is truly striking in retrospect how much impact industrial sewing had on our dress preferences; tougher stitching meant we could ditch capes, cloaks and petticoats and just combine them all into one jacket. What technological evolutions will we see that could change what we wear?
    In the future, a flexible solar array or small motion activated linear inductors in clothing, might allow people to charge devices on the go. Fiber optics and OLED might allow for outer wear that displays color and light like a screen.

I am a bit puzzled by your premise.

"Who decided that in the future we'd all be wearing form-fitting clothing? ... as if vanity no longer existed in the future."

I see form fitting clothing closely-tied to vanity.

But it sounds like you're saying you see form-fitting clothing as the opposite of vanity.

It would make sense to me if it were either
    "Who decided that in the future we would not wear form-fitting clothing - as if vanity no longer existed in the future."
    or
    "Who decided that in the future we would wear form-fitting clothing - as if vanity were commonplace in the future."

Can you clarify?

Quote Originally Posted by DaveC426913 View Post

My 2 cents; I think by "form fitting" was meant, minimalist. No frills.

I am a bit puzzled by your premise.

"Who decided that in the future we'd all be wearing form-fitting clothing? ... as if vanity no longer existed in the future."

But it sounds like you're saying you see form-fitting clothing as the opposite of vanity.

It would make sense to me if it were either
    "Who decided that in the future we would not wear form-fitting clothing - as if vanity no longer existed in the future."
    or
    "Who decided that in the future we would wear form-fitting clothing - as if vanity were commonplace in the future."

Can you clarify?
    I'd say a lot depends on the form that the clothing is being fit to. You don't want to see me in form fitting clothing.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

I'd also note that petticoats do a very different job than jackets.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    My 2 cents; I think by "form fitting" was meant, minimalist. No frills.
    If true, he's using it wrong.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	forms.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	43.8 KB 
ID:	24877

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I'd say a lot depends on the form that the clothing is being fit to. You don't want to see me in form fitting clothing.
    That's a good point.
    Maybe the OP considers form-fitting to be bad for vanity.

You can always wear a cape...

Well yes if you are the kind of person who can pull off spandex and lycra, then spandex and lycra could be considered flattering to your vanity. But for the vast majority of people, spandex and lycra would not be an ego boost.
    "Occam" is the name of the alien race that will enslave us all eventually. And they've got razors for hands. I don't know if that's true but it seems like the simplest answer."

Stephen Colbert.

Ah, but a cape can hide some of that. Besides, villains have the best threads
    http://www.michaelpavelka.com/designing-richard-iii/
    https://www.pinterest.com/pin/859695016339222941/

Quote Originally Posted by publiusr View Post
    You can always wear a cape...
    I thought the OP was that capes etc are no longer in fashion.

Well yes if you are the kind of person who can pull off spandex and lycra, then spandex and lycra could be considered flattering to your vanity. But for the vast majority of people, spandex and lycra would not be an ego boost.
    Ah. OK. So what you meant was:

"Who decided that in the future we'd all be wearing form-fitting clothing? ... as if self-consciousness no longer existed in the future."

I’m not really sure, but I assume the OP was thinking of uniforms as in Star Trek. So it’s not really an issue of personal preference. I don’t know why the made them tight fitting unlike normal uniforms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    As above, so below

Ah. OK. So what you meant was:
    What Parallaxicality meant, rather?

" ... as if self-consciousness no longer existed in the future."
    I can attest to that. Visit any Walmart in the US.

I just think that sci-fi film writers/artists just assumed that since they envision the future being much different then it made sense that the clothes would be remarkably different also, in that the design would reflect "future technology" interesting though that for some the colours used i.e star trek were still pretty in keeping to the popular colour fashions at the time. I guess consideration for the environment and robust functional clothing wasn't up on the top of the list when they created early sci-fi novels and films.

More likely, in reality, that a functional uniform would be worn by space faring explorers based on the then current technology, much like modern soldiers today etc... rather than a fashion statement

As for future fashion, well there are already some wacky designs out there and have been for years. But when it comes down to day to day clothing then most of us tend to stick to comfortable functional items that are common in trend. As for tight fitting skin hugging clothing, unless you have the physic of a Greek god then the majority of us are not going to be very comfy and are definitely going to feel self conscious, so I wouldn't envisage a future where this type of clothing becomes the norm.
    Unless of course by this time humans are all genetically enhanced to be "perfect"

I'm not sure that there's any kind of "conspiracy of form-fitting" going on. Not much form-fitting clothing in Blade Runner or The Fifth Element, for instance.

Grant Hutchison

Oh, there's form-fitting clothing in The Fifth Element; look at various of the women.

I think the idea is that the amount of clothing people wear keeps reducing--but that's not true. People wore much less clothing in the fourteenth century than in the sixteenth, for example, even if you're looking at formal attire.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Oh, there's form-fitting clothing in The Fifth Element; look at various of the women.
    You mean the lady wearing orange tape?

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    I'm not sure that there's any kind of "conspiracy of form-fitting" going on. Not much form-fitting clothing in Blade Runner or The Fifth Element, for instance.
    Well, there was Barbarella. Oh, and the lunar outfits of women in UFO, purple bob wigs and silver skintights, which made no sense to me at all except in terms of getting viewers.

And Blade Runner was Noir, deliberately aping the aesthetic of a past era.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    Well, there was Barbarella. Oh, and the lunar outfits of women in UFO, purple bob wigs and silver skintights, which made no sense to me at all except in terms of getting viewers.
    I was thinking of UFO when reading this thread. You have to admit, they got the unnatural hair color prediction right - I see that all the time. Clothes, not so much.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

I grew up in the era when Spandex "future clothes" was definitely a thing in visual SF. But it's not always been, and isn't as widespread currently as it used to be.

I grew up in the era when Spandex "future clothes" was definitely a thing in visual SF. But it's not always been, and isn't as widespread currently as it used to be.
    DC's Power Girl. That's all I'm saying here.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    DC's Power Girl. That's all I'm saying here.
    Superheroes are their own category. Basically, bodies are easier to draw that way.

And Blade Runner was Noir, deliberately aping the aesthetic of a past era.
    Exactly. And future noir is a thing, and people don't wear form-fitting clothes in imagined futures of that kind. As another example, most of the characters in The Expanse either dress like us, but with different lapels on their jackets, or wear boiler suits with varying degrees of punk aesthetic.

There are lots of imagined futures, and as far as I can see only some involve form-fitting clothes, while some use form-fitting clothes for certain characters in certain roles (which is a thing very much not confined to science fiction).

Grant Hutchison

It was mostly a 70s/80s phenomenon.