Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Worst Ever SF Movie?

Quote Originally Posted by Inferno
    Independence Day - So incredibly stupid. The final straw is the President's independence day speech. This movie will lower your intelligence.
    You're probably safe if you forget all about it within minutes of seeing it, as I did. There was a spin-off novel that I had to review for SFX, and I had no idea if it tied in with the film because I couldn't remember anything about the film, except the bits in the trailers and some bloke punching an alien.

Funnily enough, I can't remember anything about the spin-off book either - except that at one point a scientist says that the speed of light is 286,000 miles per second! And something about ships not flying unless three flew at once. But I can't remember the title, or the name of the author.

Critters 2 - At least the first one was fun. Haven't dared tried the sequels.
    Critters 3 is not very interesting.
    Try Critters 4: it is amazingly dark. It is Critters Resurrection with the sets and staff/cast from Android.

Oh, let me vote for Android: Klaus "I have bills to pay" Kinski in the lead role, and the protagonist of Critters Resurrection in the role of the titular android.
    What nearly saves this movie is the final gag.

Quote Originally Posted by tofu
    I LOVE MST3K!
    :-) Me too. So, how bad does a movie have to be to cross back over to being a good movie?

My vote for best of the bad movies, also MST3K'ed, is "Prince of Space." I hurt myself laughing!

CJSF
    "The sun is a quagmire
    It's not made of fire
    Forget what you've been told in the past
    Electrons are free
    (Plasma!) Fourth state of matter
    Not gas, not liquid, not solid"

-They Might Be Giants, "Why Does The Sun Really Shine?"

lonelybirder.org

errm. I like Armageddon.

There, I've said it.

My vote for utterly dire rubbish goes to The Avengers (the movie, obviously). Sean Connery is half-asleep, Fiennes and Thurman have no chemistry whatsoever, Eddie Izzard is completely wasted, and panicky studio execs have hacked over 30 minutes out at the last possible moment, so nothing makes any sense whatsoever.

I remember walking through the mall in Dubai (while I was living in the United Arab Emirates) and saw a movie called "Supernova" was playing. Looked at the cast and there were some reasonably decent stars (Angela Basset, James Spader, Lou Diamond Phillips) and that it was about a hospital resuce ship and figured it would kill a couple of hours.

Worst. Movie. I. Ever. Spent. Money. On.

lousy plot, lousy F/X, lousy villian, lousy dialougue, lousy robot, lousy....you get the idea.

Avoid this at all costs. It is not even worth MST3K doing--you can parody bad but not dreck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch
    I remember walking through the mall in Dubai (while I was living in the United Arab Emirates) and saw a movie called "Supernova" was playing. Looked at the cast and there were some reasonably decent stars (Angela Basset, James Spader, Lou Diamond Phillips) and that it was about a hospital resuce ship and figured it would kill a couple of hours.

Worst. Movie. I. Ever. Spent. Money. On.

lousy plot, lousy F/X, lousy villian, lousy dialougue, lousy robot, lousy....you get the idea.

Avoid this at all costs. It is not even worth MST3K doing--you can parody bad but not dreck like this.
    Was it as bad as "Overdrawn at the Memory Bank" starring Raul Julia? I mean if they MST3K'ed that one...

CJSF
    "The sun is a quagmire
    It's not made of fire
    Forget what you've been told in the past
    Electrons are free
    (Plasma!) Fourth state of matter
    Not gas, not liquid, not solid"

-They Might Be Giants, "Why Does The Sun Really Shine?"

lonelybirder.org

Quote Originally Posted by mid
    errm. I like Armageddon.

There, I've said it.
    And I like Wing Commander. 8-[ ]

My vote for utterly dire rubbish goes to The Avengers (the movie, obviously). Sean Connery is half-asleep, Fiennes and Thurman have no chemistry whatsoever, Eddie Izzard is completely wasted, and panicky studio execs have hacked over 30 minutes out at the last possible moment, so nothing makes any sense whatsoever.
    Thank you for reminding me. #-o
    I had it removed from my memory.

Although I haven't seen it, I'm surprised no one has mentioned Battlefield Earth yet.

Armageddon is one of my tops (for one I actually remember).

Quote Originally Posted by teddyv
    Although I haven't seen it, I'm surprised no one has mentioned Battlefield Earth yet.
    I change my vote: Battlefield Earth is truly abysmal (I recommend you spend money to see it: try to get paid, instead).

I wonder how many bad movies I have seen, but then removed from memory... :-k

Quote Originally Posted by papageno
    errm. I like Armageddon.

There, I've said it.
    And I like Wing Commander. 8-[ ]
    Nobody's perfect. :wink:
    "Words that make questions may not be questions at all."
    - Neil deGrasse Tyson, answering loaded question in ten words or less
    at a 2010 talk MCed by Stephen Colbert.

Just so I know to avoid it, what is MST3K?

Quote Originally Posted by gopher65
    On the contrary, MST3K is something that you wouldn't want to avoid. Mystery Science Theater 3000, one of the funniest shows ever created.

These questions are difficult to answer for me, because I tend to forget about movies I don't like, but I'll put in another vote for Tim Burton's Planet of the Apes, if only because I expected better from him.

I don't think you should count Escape from LA. Kurt Russell has admitted that the movie was a sendup of Escape from New York, so it was intentionally bad.

Worst SF movie to me was The Black Hole, from Disney Studios. It had a good premise and some neat sfx, but it dra-a-a-agged; even the background music. And it had those really dumb floating robots. (Not Max; he was pretty good... or, evil.)
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by Lycus
    Quote Originally Posted by gopher65
    On the contrary, MST3K is something that you wouldn't want to avoid. Mystery Science Theater 3000, one of the funniest shows ever created.
    MST3K FAQ
    Q: What was it about?
    A: Although the details of its premise changed radically over its 11 seasons, Mystery Science Theater 3000 was really always about one thing: making fun of bad movies.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Glom is offline Insert awesome title here
    So far, it has to be the Red Dwarf movie. No story, no special effects, no comedy, no movie.

When are they going to make it!?

Has anyone mentioned Sphere yet?

Here's a great plot: Let's fix all the crazy stuff that's been happening by "forgetting" that they found the alien artifact, so it all comes true #-o

Did that even make sense to anyone? Sorry about my poor explanation.

I shall also include Planet o' the apes (remake) and Highlander II

I heard I, Robot wasn't so good, but haven't seen it

Pete

Independence Day - Okay, this isnt the greatest film ever, but it is no worse that the first Star Wars film. It was made as enjoyable family entertainment, and was exactly that. It also has one of the most iconic scences in modern cinema. In almost every way, it intentionally bad in that it doesnt treat itself seriously.

Armageddon - Tried to be Independence Day. Failed. But was still a long way from being awful. There are parts to enjoy, and it again didnt try to take itself too seriously

Highlander 2 - I had forgotten about this one. Truely awful. Only marginally worse that the 3rd. The forth I didnt see, as the series decided to just ignore the entire mythos set up in the first film, and thus rendering the entire franchise a steaming pile of sweatty ********.

Critters 2 - It wasnt as good as the first one, but try out 3 and 4 anyway, as I quite enjoyed them.

Species - Not a truely bad film. It is again, enjoyable trash. As for the sequel...... Just trash.

Superman 4 - Never saw this all the way through, but this is one film which highlight the poinjt of not letting actors have any input in the story (hello Alien3 and Alien Resurection).

Planet of the Apes - Tim Burton was on a hiding to nothing to start with. This is not a bad film, and I actually enjoy some of it more than the original. But it is by no means awful.

2001 - Pretentious ********. Only 20 minutes of story line. 2010 is a far more enjoyable film.

Transformers the Movie - This is going to be a toy selling opportunity. I will only see this if it features the original transformers, but we all know that aint gonna happen.

-------------------

The winner can only be Supernova. About 5 different sci-fi cliches being loosely tied together to form something a five year old could have written.

Another I haven't seen, but will probably see one day is The Core. This movie was savaged for its ridiculous physics.

Quote Originally Posted by Charly
    2001 - Pretentious ********. Only 20 minutes of story line. 2010 is a far more enjoyable film.

Burn the heretic!! I don't like 2010 so much. The acting is good, has funny moments but, sound in space.... Why?!!!
    Calm down, have some dip. - George Carlin

The Swarm, Starship Troopers, This god awful movie--> http://imdb.com/title/tt0107279/ (it must be really horrible to make an atheist use "god awful"), Omega Doom and maybe a few others that I can't remember because they are repressed memories.(a joke, I'm skeptical about repressed memory)
    Calm down, have some dip. - George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by peter eldergill
    Has anyone mentioned Sphere yet?

Here's a great plot: Let's fix all the crazy stuff that's been happening by "forgetting" that they found the alien artifact, so it all comes true #-o
    The biggest problem with Sphere is that it's main idea was a total rip-off of Forbidden Planet - a MUCH better movie.
    Other smaller problems include the whole "mapping the keyboard incorrectly" business (it gives them the wrong name for the 'entity' but doesn't mess up any of the rest of their conversation) and the fact that Dustin Hoffman's character, the designated hero, is a whinny jerk.

And I liked Independence Day, The Abyss, The Black Hole, and Pitch Black. They were all fun movies even with bad science in them.

2001, on the other hand, is a great science fiction movie.

There are any number of websites with bad movie reviews on them. www.jabootu.com is one of my favorites, and it has laugh-out-loud reviews of Battlefield Earth, Sphere, Johnny Mnemonic, Robot Monster, Star Trek V, Superman IV, and Highlander II, among others.

Battlefield Earth is far from the worst Sci-fi movie ever. I nearly enjoyed it, as I was expecting it to be really awful.

It was bad, but it was one of those ones that is perhaps so bad you could just sit back and enjoy.

Independence Day - Okay, this isnt the greatest film ever, but it is no worse that the first Star Wars film.
    I hope you are referring to Episode 1, not "the" original Star Wars film - A New Hope.

In my experience, movies made from video games range from mildly amusing, forgettable flicks best watched with friends, all the way to mind-melting pieces of ___ that you wouldn't ever show to your friends because (as Arthur Dent told the Nutrimatic machine) you want to keep them. I'd put Mortal Kombat: Anhialation in the second catagory, as well as something called Double Dragon, which was nominally science fiction.

Highlander II not only stunk, but is widely known only for having stunk. Likewise Superman IV. I've watched parts of Highlander II, but not Superman IV, and after what I've heard the only way I'd really want to watch it is if I could count on a guy and a couple of robots being in the front row.

But the worst non-MST3K movie I've ever watched was this--this indescribable thing called Baby Geniuses. And I've heard they're making a sequel.

Izunya

Quote Originally Posted by Izunya
    But the worst non-MST3K movie I've ever watched was this--this indescribable thing called Baby Geniuses. And I've heard they're making a sequel.
    Already done. Already gone. LINK

I found Starship Troopers very entertaining, but it could have been done better. You must admit, there was [i]lots[\i] of eyecandy in this film.....(not referring to special effects

Did anyone ever see the animated TV series of the same name? I thought it was great, but didn't see too much of it

Pete

Worst SciFi movie ever?

Saturn 3 with Kirk Douglas and Farrah Fawcett hands down.

If you have not seen this movie, consider yourself very lucky.

Re: Worst Ever SF Movie?

Quote Originally Posted by NightHawk
    Ah, you beat me to it. The spine-tingling chase sequence employing golf carts running at 4 MPH is worth the $0.50 price of the DVD side alone.

Battlefield Earth has to tie for worst no matter what the other movie(s) is (are). How anyone could take Travolta seriously as an actor after this I don't know. But then I never took him seriously as an actor before BE. Always reminded me of one of those lizards that inflates itself to look bigger than it actually is. Or fish.

Same thing applies to Hubbard.

[edit/typo]

Re: Worst Ever SF Movie?

Independence Day - Okay, this isnt the greatest film ever, but it is no worse that the first Star Wars film.
    I hope you are referring to Episode 1, not "the" original Star Wars film - A New Hope.
    Actually, based on what was seen in the opening scroll of the original release in 1977, that would be Star Wars. Just Star Wars.