Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Number of launches in 2020

The 6th launch in October as well as the 81st launch this year is by USA. It was SpaceX 18th launch this year.

https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2020...ssion-in-week/

Two days after scrubbing a previous attempt shortly before launch, and still less than a week after the previous Starlink flight, SpaceX launched its third batch of Starlink satellites this month into orbit at 11:31 EDT (15:31 UTC) on Saturday, 24 October. The v1.0 L14 mission — the 14th launch of operational satellites and 15th Starlink flight overall — was launched from pad SLC-40 at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station.
    Link to summary of launches by country in 2019

NUMBER OF LAUNCHES IN 2020 BY COUNTRY__________________________________________________ _____SUMMARY OF LAUNCHES IN 2019 BY COUNTRY
    Country Launches Failures Partial Failures BEO Launches manned Launches _________________ Total Launches BEO Launches Manned Launches
    United States 26 1 0 2 1 ___________________ 22 0 0
    Russia 10 0 0 0 2 ___________________ 22 1 3
    China 30 4 0 1 0 ___________________ 34 0 0
    ESA 5 0 0 0 0 ___________________ 9 0 0
    Japan 3 0 0 1 0 ___________________ 2 0 0
    India 0 0 0 0 0 ___________________ 6 1 0
    New Zealand 4 1 0 0 0 ___________________ 6 0 0
    North Korea 0 0 0 0 0 ___________________ 0 0 0
    Israel 1 0 0 0 0 ___________________ 0 0 0
    Iran 2 1 0 0 0 ___________________ 3 0 0
    TOTAL 81 7 0 4 3 ___________________ 104 2 3
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

The 7th launch in October as well as the 82nd launch this year is by Russia.

https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2020...ion-satellite/

Liftoff of the Uragan-K No.15L satellite, aboard a Soyuz 2-1b/Fregat rocket, took place at 23:08:42 Moscow Time (19:08:42 UTC) from the Plesetsk Cosmodrome in the northwest of the country. Spacecraft separation is expected to occur a little over three and a half hours after launch.

NUMBER OF LAUNCHES IN 2020 BY COUNTRY__________________________________________________ _____SUMMARY OF LAUNCHES IN 2019 BY COUNTRY
    Country Launches Failures Partial Failures BEO Launches manned Launches _________________ Total Launches BEO Launches Manned Launches
    Russia 11 0 0 0 2 ___________________ 22 1 3
    China 30 4 0 1 0 ___________________ 34 0 0
    TOTAL 82 7 0 4 3 ___________________ 104 2 3
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

The 8th launch in October as well as the 83rd launch this year is by China.

https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2020...ry-satellites/

China launched a new group of triplet satellites for the Chuangxin-5 (CX-5) constellation on Monday. Launched under the name Yaogan Weixing-30 Group-7, the three satellites were orbited by a Chang Zheng-2C launch vehicle from the LC-3 Launch Complex of the Xichang Satellite Launch Center, with launch taking place at 15:19 UTC.

China 31 4 0 1 0 ___________________ 34 0 0
    TOTAL 83 7 0 4 3 ___________________ 104 2 3
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

The 9th launch in October as well as the 84th launch this year is by New Zealand.

https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2020...-focus-launch/

Rocket Lab launched their fifth Electron mission of 2020 — a rideshare for Planet Labs and Spaceflight Industries named “In Focus,” a reference to Electron’s payload of 10 Earth-imaging satellites. The flight targeted a 500 kilometer sun-synchronous orbit, ideal for Earth observation missions as the high inclination means the satellites can cover large portions of the Earth surface while the Sun maintains the same position in the sky each time the satellites pass over a specific location.

The 15th flight of an Electron rocket from Rocket Lab’s private launch facility on the Māhia Peninsula in New Zealand launched on 28 October at 21:21 UTC (17:21 EDT), or 29 October at 10:21 local time in New Zealand.

New Zealand 5 1 0 0 0 ___________________ 6 0 0
    TOTAL 84 7 0 4 3 ___________________ 104 2 3
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

"China Set To Beat US, Russia Again In Space Launch Race"

https://breakingdefense.com/2020/10/...e-launch-race/

China has launched more satellites than any other country this year as of Sept. 30, according to a report by Bryce Space and Technology. This puts China on track to win the space launch-rate race three years in a row.

Through the third quarter of 2020, China has launched a total of 29 satellites. (We added up the totals using Bryce’s first, second and new third quarter reports.) In the third quarter alone, China launched 14 sats.

The US by contrast has launched 27 total, launching 10 this quarter. If it wasn’t for commercial firm SpaceX — which primarily has been launching its own Starlink constellation designed to provide world-wide Internet from space — the US would be far behind China. In fact, SpaceX, with 15 total launches, is second only to China’s state-owned China Aerospace Science and Technology Corporation (CASC), which has sent 25 rockets into space, as the most active launch provider so far this year, Bryce has found
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

The 1st launch in November as well as the 85th launch this year is by USA. It was SpaceX 19th launch this year.

https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2020...ch-fourth-gps/

SpaceX successfully launched its Falcon 9 mission with the fourth GPSII satellite at 18:24 EST (23:24 UTC) on Thursday, 5 November.

The launch followed a scrub on 2 October, when Falcon 9 aborted two seconds before liftoff. The resulting investigation identified an issue within the gas generators on some first stage engines and prompted several engine swaps across the Falcon 9 fleet and affected multiple upcoming launches.

United States 27 1 0 2 1 ___________________ 22 0 0
    TOTAL 85 7 0 4 3 ___________________ 104 2 3
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

Quote Originally Posted by selvaarchi View Post

I donít understand this. Their comments donít make sense.

Quoting them:

ďThrough the third quarter of 2020, China has launched a total of 29 satellites. (We added up the totals using Bryceís first, second and new third quarter reports.) In the third quarter alone, China launched 14 sats.

The US by contrast has launched 27 total, launching 10 this quarter. If it wasnít for commercial firm SpaceX ó which primarily has been launching its own Starlink constellation designed to provide world-wide Internet from space ó the US would be far behind China.ď

. . . and SpaceX launches 60 Starlink satellites per launch! They have launched hundreds of satellites this year. If theyíre just counting rocket launches, by the numbers you list in this thread, there have been 26 successful launches from US soil this year so far, China has had 27. An Atlas V launch was scheduled but was delayed due to problems. It should launch soon so the US and China launches are running neck to neck.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." ó Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    I don’t understand this. Their comments don’t make sense.

Quoting them:

“Through the third quarter of 2020, China has launched a total of 29 satellites. (We added up the totals using Bryce’s first, second and new third quarter reports.) In the third quarter alone, China launched 14 sats.

The US by contrast has launched 27 total, launching 10 this quarter. If it wasn’t for commercial firm SpaceX — which primarily has been launching its own Starlink constellation designed to provide world-wide Internet from space — the US would be far behind China.“

. . . and SpaceX launches 60 Starlink satellites per launch! They have launched hundreds of satellites this year. If they’re just counting rocket launches, by the numbers you list in this thread, there have been 26 successful launches from US soil this year so far, China has had 27. An Atlas V launch was scheduled but was delayed due to problems. It should launch soon so the US and China launches are running neck to neck.
    English! Replace satellites by rockets and it becomes a bit more clearer.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

The 2nd launch in November as well as the 86th launch this year is by China.

http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/202..._139495660.htm

China successfully sent 13 satellites into orbit from the Taiyuan Satellite Launch Center in north China's Shanxi Province on Friday.

The satellites, including 10 commercial remote sensing satellites developed by Argentine company Satellogic, blasted off atop a Long March-6 carrier rocket at 11:19 a.m. (Beijing Time).

China 32 4 0 1 0 ___________________ 34 0 0
    TOTAL 86 7 0 4 3 ___________________ 104 2 3
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

English! Replace satellites by rockets and it becomes a bit more clearer.
    No, it is just wrong. The numbers still don’t work for rockets, again the US and China have very similar numbers for launches (China has a few more if you count failures, and don’t count US company Rocket Lab launching from New Zealand currently), it looks like the author has a western name, and the article doesn’t look like some poorly translated work.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." ó Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

The 2nd launch in November as well as the 86th launch this year is by China.
    Speaking of numbers, per your list that would be the 32nd launch this year by China or the 28th successful launch. 86 is what you list as total world launches or Maxwell Smart’s agent number.

Edit: Eh, never mind, I misread your sentence. Sorry about that, I’m tired.,

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    No, it is just wrong. The numbers still donít work for rockets, again the US and China have very similar numbers for launches (China has a few more if you count failures, and donít count US company Rocket Lab launching from New Zealand currently), it looks like the author has a western name, and the article doesnít look like some poorly translated work.
    It's also rather premature when SpaceX alone could put up 6 or 8 more launches before the end of the year.

Oh and here's a suggestion for next year, maybe add a stat for rockets recovered given more companies are looking to move into reusability.

Quote Originally Posted by Garrison View Post
    It's also rather premature when SpaceX alone could put up 6 or 8 more launches before the end of the year.

Oh and here's a suggestion for next year, maybe add a stat for rockets recovered given more companies are looking to move into reusability.
    Both the US and China have a few more launches for this year ( we should easily beat last years total of 104).

As for the suggestion for rockets recovered, I will find it difficult to keep up with that. Rocket Lab will be on the list, as well as China.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

Quote Originally Posted by Garrison View Post

Here is news on what China is doing in reusable rockets.

https://spacenews.com/china-sets-tar...unch-vehicles/

China’s main space contractor is developing launch vehicles capable of learning and adapting as well as multiple technologies for recovering and reusing rockets.

China will develop a first launch vehicle capable of vertical takeoff, vertical landing by 2025, Wu Yansheng, a senior official with the China Aerospace Science and Technology Corporation (CASC), said at a major conference (Chinese) in Chengdu, southwest China Nov. 3.

Wu, presenting on the prospects for space transportation system development, also stated that CASC is working on rockets capable of learning and acting autonomously.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

Hello selvaarchi,

I like this thread because it gives me a sense of what is going on with launches worldwide.

As per the link, orbital launch rates over the years by country shows that Russia has usually been the leader and by a wide margin. Needless to say, launch rate is a poor indicator of space exploration progress.

https://aerospace.csis.org/data/spac...es-by-country/

China's launch failure rate is high. That is way more interesting and deserves scrutiny as it would legitimately receive in the West. Unfortunately, they provide little information and, instead, minions pretend there is a Space Launch Race.

As for the suggestion for rockets recovered, I will find it difficult to keep up with that. Rocket Lab will be on the list, as well as China.
    Yes, I appreciate that you keep this list going in the first place, thereís no need to add to the work load. Maybe some of us could put in occasional update posts. SpaceX usually lands their boosters, they only make exceptions for launches requiring everything the rocket can do. Rocket Lab is just starting and will likely take time to perfect the process. I expect the same for Chinese efforts.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by 7cscb View Post
    Hello selvaarchi,

I like this thread because it gives me a sense of what is going on with launches worldwide.

As per the link, orbital launch rates over the years by country shows that Russia has usually been the leader and by a wide margin. Needless to say, launch rate is a poor indicator of space exploration progress.

https://aerospace.csis.org/data/spac...es-by-country/

China's launch failure rate is high. That is way more interesting and deserves scrutiny as it would legitimately receive in the West. Unfortunately, they provide little information and, instead, minions pretend there is a Space Launch Race.
    Two of the failures were operational rockets (but not the same rocket type). The other two were new rockets launching for the 1st time.
    Kuaizhou-1A mission was the fourth Chinese failure of 2020 from 26 launches. Inaugural launches of the Long March 7A and the Expace Kuaizhou-11 failed, while an issue with the workhorse Long March 3B led to the loss of the Indonesian Palapa-N1 communications satellite.
    I do not thing that is a big worry. We have to see how reliable their Long March-5 and 7 will perform to see if there is a anything to worry about.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

The 3rd launch in November as well as the 87th launch this year is by India's 1st launch this year.

https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2020...eos-1-mission/

The Indian Space Research Organization, ISRO, conducted the 51st launch of their Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle, otherwise known as the PSLV, carrying the EOS-1 Earth observation satellite and nine small satellite rideshare payloads into orbit.

Liftoff occurred during a rainstorm at 09:37 UTC (04:37 EST) — which is 15:07 local — on 7 November. The mission used the PSLV-DL variant of the rocket and launched from the First Launch Pad at the Satish Dhawan Space Centre on India’s central east coast.

China 32 4 0 1 0 ___________________ 34 0 0
    India 1 0 0 0 0 ___________________ 6 1 0
    TOTAL 87 7 0 4 3 ___________________ 104 2 3
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

The 4th launch in November as well as the 88th launch this year is by China. It is the 1st launch by Chinese commercial company Galactic Energy of their rocket Ceres-1.

https://spacenews.com/chinese-rocket...cures-funding/

Chinese rocket firm Galactic Energy successfully sent a small satellite into orbit Saturday with the first launch of its Ceres-1 launch vehicle.

The Ceres-1 four-stage solid rocket lifted off from the Jiuquan Satellite Launch Center near the Gobi Desert at 2:12 a.m. Eastern Saturday.

China 33 4 0 1 0 ___________________ 34 0 0
    TOTAL 88 7 0 4 3 ___________________ 104 2 3
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

The 5th launch in November as well as the 89th launch this year is by China.

https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2020...nd-tiantong-1/

China launched the second Tiantong-1 mobile communications satellite on Thursday. The launch took place at 15:59 UTC Long March-3B/G2 (Chang Zheng-3B/G2) from the LC2 Launch Complex at the Xichang Satellite Launch Center.

China 34 4 0 1 0 ___________________ 34 0 0
    TOTAL 89 7 0 4 3 ___________________ 104 2 3
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

The 6th launch in November as well as the 90th launch this year is by USA.

https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2020...ters-nrol-101/

United Launch Alliance’s Atlas V rocket carried a National Reconnaissance Office satellite to orbit Friday in a launch that marked a major milestone for the next-generation Vulcan rocket as Atlas V debuted the new GEM-63 solid rocket boosters from Northrop Grumman — the start of a switch away from the Aerojet Rocketdyne boosters.

Liftoff is set from Florida’s Cape Canaveral Air Force Station and SLC-41 at 17:32 Eastern Standard Time (22:32 UTC) on Friday, 13 November.

United States 28 1 0 2 1 ___________________ 22 0 0
    TOTAL 90 7 0 4 3 ___________________ 104 2 3
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

The 7th launch in November as well as the 91th launch this year is by USA. It was SpaceX 20th launch this year and the 1st operational Commercial Crew Program mission.

https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2020/11/crew1-launch/

SpaceX’s Falcon 9 rocket lifted off from the Kennedy Space Center, Florida, at 19:27 EST on 15 November (00:27 UTC on 16 November) lofting four space travelers into orbit ahead of a planned six month stay aboard the International Space Station.

United States 29 1 0 2 2 ___________________ 22 0 0
    TOTAL 91 7 0 4 4 ___________________ 104 2 3
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

The 8th launch in November as well as the 92th launch this year is by ESA. The launch failed.

https://spaceflightnow.com/2020/11/1...status-center/

Arianespace probing “anomaly” shortly after Vega launch

ESA 6 1 0 0 0 ___________________ 9 0 0
    TOTAL 92 8 0 4 4 ___________________ 104 2 3
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

The 9th launch in November as well as the 93rd launch this year is by New Zealand.

https://spaceflightnow.com/2020/11/1...status-center/

Rocket Lab has confirmed the mission's small satellite payloads were released into their targeted 310-mile-high (500-kilometer) orbit after a good burn by the Curie kick stage.

New Zealand 6 1 0 0 0 ___________________ 6 0 0
    TOTAL 93 8 0 4 4 ___________________ 104 2 3
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

The 10th launch in November as well as the 94th launch this year is by USA. It was SpaceX 21st launch this year.

https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2020...eilich-launch/

Fresh off their second crewed launch for NASA, SpaceX temporarily shifted focus on launches to the U.S. West Coast, where a Falcon 9 rocket launched the Sentinel-6 Michael Freilich oceanography satellite in cooperation with NASA, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, the European Space Agency, and various other partners.

Launch occurred from Space Launch Complex 4 East (SLC-4E) at Vandenberg Air Force Base, California, at 09:17 Pacific Standard Time — or 17:17 UTC — on Saturday, 21 November.

United States 30 1 0 2 2 ___________________ 22 0 0
    TOTAL 94 8 0 4 4 ___________________ 104 2 3
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

The 11th launch in November as well as the 95th launch this year is by China.

https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2020...return-launch/

The Chang’e 5 lunar orbiter, lander, and sample collection return vehicle left its sea-side launch pad at the Wenchang Spacecraft Launch Center in Wenchang, Hainan province, People’s Republic of China to begin its journey to the moon right on time at 20:30:12 UTC (15:30:12 EST) on 23 November.

United States 30 1 0 2 2 ___________________ 22 0 0
    China 35 4 0 2 0 ___________________ 34 0 0
    TOTAL 95 8 0 5 4 ___________________ 104 2 3
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

The 12th launch in November as well as the 96th launch this year is by USA. It was SpaceX 22nd launch this year.

https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2020...9-100-flights/

Just days after a SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket carried the American-European Sentinel-6A oceanography satellite into orbit from the U.S. West Coast, SpaceX returned its focus to the Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida for Falcon 9 rocket’s 100th launch.

Liftoff of the Starlink V1.0 L15 mission (or the 16th flight of Starlink) on booster B1049 — marking the company’s first-ever 7th flight of a Falcon 9 first stage — occurred at 21:13 EST on Tuesday, 24 November (02:13 UTC on 25 November).

United States 31 1 0 2 2 ___________________ 22 0 0
    China 35 4 0 2 0 ___________________ 34 0 0
    TOTAL 96 8 0 5 4 ___________________ 104 2 3
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

I have still not tired of watching SpaceX launch, and especially land, rockets.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I have still not tired of watching SpaceX launch, and especially land, rockets.
    Hello Trebuchet,

Ditto.

The first dozen or so landings took my breath away and I'd get choked up. I'm calmer now.

Cheers,

Iíve gotten pretty used to it, except for the crewed launches, and donít make a point of watching the regular ones anymore.

But oh! The first few launches and especially the successful landings had a big impact and I still get a bit emotional thinking about the twin Falcon Heavy boosters landing simultaneously and Starman. This is part of the future I wanted to see decades ago and felt like science fiction (Iím convinced Musk was thinking of the Heavy Metal movie with the Starman stunt). I wish there had been someone in Muskís role thirty years ago, and maybe we would have orbital vacations at not too ridiculous prices today.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser