Thread: SpaceEngine, Universe Sandbox or Celestia?

SpaceEngine, Universe Sandbox or Celestia?

Cost aside, which is the best universe in a box?
    Last edited by parallaxicality; 2019-Oct-01 at 11:54 AM.
    "Occam" is the name of the alien race that will enslave us all eventually. And they've got razors for hands. I don't know if that's true but it seems like the simplest answer."

Stephen Colbert.

Celestia, obviously.

Grant Hutchison

The only one I really used is or was a locally made one called Earth Centered Universe. I bought a couple directly from the maker who made it to run an observatory or two. After university I used to teach my oldest niece the planet names when she like four.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

I use Celestia a lot, because I know (more-or-less) how to make add-ons in that program. The version known as Celestia:Origin has some very nice models of asteroids, and also a very good version of the Milky Way galaxy as a background.
    A few of my add-ons; Twilight Aglaea Bishop Ring

Space Engine has some very nice procedurally-produced planets and planetary surfaces, and the galaxies and lighting effects look even better than in Celestia. However, so far I haven't been able to successfully make any addons for this program, so I am reduced to a spectator.

I haven't tried Universe Sandbox, but some of the YouTube clips I've seen make it look very useful. Some of my Orion's Arm colleagues recommend Children Of A Dead Earth, which has some gravity effects and orbital mechanics included; they have converted some of our OA planets into that format.