Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Sci-Fi movies.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveC426913 View Post
    Ad astra angered me.

Its plot made no sense - a full-on MacGuffin. Never explained, never resolved. So much wrong.
    Well, the plot wasn't about a trip across the solar system at all.
    The whole thing was a metaphor, the MacGuffin especially. (I actually wondered how much of it was happening in the protagonist's head.)
    I thought it was well done, at that level, though there were strange plot elements that looked like a longer sequence had been edited down, to its detriment.

Unfortunately, the trailer looks like it's going to be a SF action movie, so I can understand the annoyance of people who find themselves sitting through two hours of psychodrama instead.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    Maybe more to the point for this forum is that Ad Astra is not a "science fiction" movie at all, it just takes place in space. The entirety of the plot could have taken place on Earth with just as much (if not more) impact or effect.
    Of course, the "long and gruelling journey in search of closure with a father-figure" thing has been a recurring them in fiction, in all sorts of settings. But I think setting this one in space gave the narrative advantage that "repressed and controlled astronaut" is a trope-du-jour, so very little work had to be done on establishing Pitt's character and the nature of his problem.
    As usual, I didn't read reviews before watching it, and (since I aim to watch it again soon) I haven't done my usual post-viewing survey. But I guess I'm not the only person to feel that pretty much the whole movie, after the opening sequence, occurs in the protagonist's head. It would be nice to think that we got back to the real world with the closing scene, but I have a bleak feeling that we didn't.

Grant Hutchison

Yes.

As for Ad Astra, My wife and I watched it about a month ago, she fell asleep on it. Yesterday she was watching it again when I walked into the room and scolded her for watching it without me. I had forgotten that I had already seen it, ha.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorn View Post
    Yes.
    Yes, what? Are you replying to grant's 5 month old post or something else up thread?

CJSF
    "The sun is a quagmire
    It's not made of fire
    Forget what you've been told in the past
    Electrons are free
    (Plasma!) Fourth state of matter
    Not gas, not liquid, not solid"

-They Might Be Giants, "Why Does The Sun Really Shine?"

lonelybirder.org

It's a great movie!!😁🤣