Thread: ULA Vulcan-Centaur rocket going to the moon in late 2021

ULA Vulcan-Centaur rocket going to the moon in late 2021

United Launch Alliance’s new Vulcan Centaur rocket will be ready to launch its first mission in late 2021. CEO Tory Bruno told reporters in a conference call that ULA is confident that both the launch vehicle and its first customer — Astrobotic’s Peregrine lunar lander — will be on the launch pad “by the end of next year.” The timeline for Vulcan’s maiden flight has slipped over the past two years because ULA does not yet have flight-qualified BE-4 main engines for Vulcan’s first stage. Engine manufacturer Blue Origin this year delivered two “pathfinder” engines to be used for ground tests but the actual flight engines won’t arrive at ULA’s factory in Decatur, Alabama, until summer 2021.

https://spacenews.com/ulas-new-rocke...-in-late-2021/
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

ULA aims for launch of new Vulcan rocket at end of 2021

https://www.spacedaily.com/reports/U..._2021_999.html

Still planning on flying in 2021 despite only expecting flight engines that summer?

Also it seems the talk about reusability has dried up.

Quote Originally Posted by Garrison View Post
    Also it seems the talk about reusability has dried up.
    Really? Have they said they no longer are working to reuse the engine section, putting it off to future, or just not discussing it? I could understand an incremental approach like SpaceX used.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    Really? Have they said they no longer are working to reuse the engine section, putting it off to future, or just not discussing it? I could understand an incremental approach like SpaceX used.
    Well that's the thing, they seem to be about as communicative as Blue Origin when it comes to this subject.

I don't expect a flight until H1 2022 at the earliest, and New Glenn later than that (it'll likely need BE-4 Block 2, which is just starting development).

Northrop Grumman test fires solid motor for ULA’s Vulcan rocket

https://spacenews.com/northrop-grumm...vulcan-rocket/