Thread: Announcement for this Friday

Announcement for this Friday

Located elsewhere

FWIW

Internet Cleaning
    DO NOT CONNECT TO THE INTERNET FROM MARCH 31st 23:59 pm (GMT) UNTIL 12:01am (GMT) APRIL 1st.

*** Attention ***

It's that time again! As many of you know, each year the Internet must be shut down for 24 hours in order to allow us to clean it. The cleaning process, which eliminates dead email and inactive ftp, www and gopher sites, allows for a better-working and faster Internet.

This year, the cleaning process will take place from 23:59 pm (GMT) on March 31st until 00:01 am (GMT) on April 2nd. During that 24-hour period, five powerful Internet-crawling robots situated around the world will search the Internet and delete any data that they find.

In order to protect your valuable data from deletion we ask that you do the following:

1. Disconnect all terminals and local area networks from their Internet connections.

2. Shut down all Internet servers, or disconnect them from the Internet.

3. Disconnect all disks and hardrives from any connections to the Internet.

4. Refrain from connecting any computer to the Internet in any way.
    We understand the inconvenience that this may cause some Internet users, and we apologize. However, we are certain that any inconveniences will be more than made up for by the increased speed and efficiency of the Internet, once it has been cleared of electronic flotsam and jetsam.

We thank you for your cooperation.

Interconnected Network Maintenance Staff
    Main Branch, Massachusetts Institute of Technology

Sysops and others: Since the last Internet cleaning, the number of Internet users has grown dramatically. Please assist us in alerting the public of the upcoming Internet cleaning by posting this message where your users will be able to read it.

Please pass this message on to other sysops and Internet users as well.
    :wink:

This year, the cleaning process will take place from 23:59 pm (GMT) on March 31st until 00:01 am (GMT) on April 2nd. During that 24-hour period, five powerful Internet-crawling robots situated around the world will search the Internet and delete any data that they find.
    That's two minutes longer than last year. :wink:

=D> :roll:

Quote Originally Posted by Candy
    That's two minutes longer than last year. :wink:
    Well, there's a lot more stuff on the internet than there was a year ago. It's actually pretty neat that they only take an extra 2 minutes.
    We have 5S days about once a quarter at our company to clean things up (linky definition); a guess this is the internet 5S day.

8-[
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

That's awesome. Thanks for the warning!

:wink:

Oh my oh my oh my...I'm in charge of the display board outside of the Computoid WalkIn Help Desk here at The Major Midwestern Metropolitan College Of Higher Knowledge.

I hereby publicly confess my intent to plagiarize the statement posted in the first post of this thread, suitably modify it, and post it inside the locked glass-front display board...

Let's see how long before anyone notices...

...hee hee hee...

couldn't they do it on another day?

I'm gonna go through BAbb withdrawl. I'll probably be doing something productive instead. Sure hope it doesn't become habit forming.

Re: Announcement for this Friday

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks

Internet Cleaning
    DO NOT CONNECT TO THE INTERNET FROM MARCH 31st 23:59 pm (GMT) UNTIL 12:01am (GMT) APRIL 1st.
    That's only two minutes.

Not your fault, Sticks--it's THEM that always screw up a joke.

Hah -- I fixed it so's they have to be off for all of April 1th...

Yes, it's posted in the locked glass case next to the door of The Computoid WalkIn Help Desk here at The Major Midwestern Metropolitan College Of Higher Knowledge...

...shows ta go ya just how much attention people pay, I don't think it's been noticed yet...

...we'll see...