Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: EU Parliament votes to end clock changes between winter and summer time

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    Which is worse, clockwork tyranny or solar time tyranny?
    in peaceful times we can choose our tyrants, but time and tide .....they say the skill is to enjoy the now , in which the sun and the clock must agree.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    That isa nice thought although my tuning fork seems to be the same pitch day and night but that could be confirmation bias.
    Sure, the same tuning fork will sound the same anywhere, but you can no longer label it 440 because that will depend on the location and season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    As above, so below

Future tuning forks will need GPS, atomic clocks, and video displays to show the current frequency.

Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    in peaceful times we can choose our tyrants, but time and tide .....they say the skill is to enjoy the now , in which the sun and the clock must agree.
    My mother-in-law was in Singapore during the Japanese occupation in WW2. The time zone was forcibly changed to that of Tokyo - at that stage 90 minutes earlier than Singapore/Malaysian time. (Singapore/Malaysian time zone was changed in 1982 and there is now a 2 hour difference.) She remembered having to go to school, face towards Japan and sing the Japanese anthem in basically darkness.

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    (Singapore/Malaysian time zone was changed in 1982 and there is now a 2 hour difference.)
    Singapore/Malaysia are UTC+8, Japan are UTC+9.

Quote Originally Posted by 21st Century Schizoid Man View Post
    Singapore/Malaysia are UTC+8, Japan are UTC+9.
    Oops got it back to front. The time difference changed by half an hour - UTC +7.5 to UTC + 8 - but, as you said, it is now a one hour difference not two hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    Future tuning forks will need GPS, atomic clocks, and video displays to show the current frequency.
    Or tuning fork frequencies could be listed as vibrations per month since that wouldn't change.

what we need is clocks that speed up when you are bored, and slow down when you aren't.

Quote Originally Posted by WaxRubiks View Post
    what we need is clocks that speed up when you are bored, and slow down when you aren't.
    I'd swear that the clocks used in sports run slower now that they added a decimal place to them. Used to be that you'd just give up with 1 second left, but, hey, 1.9, keep fighting!

Saw several basketball games this month wherein a team trailing by, oh say nine points, with 4.9 seconds left was calling timeouts and still trying to win, and in some cases almost did. They have so many fouls and timeouts that the last two minutes always take twenty minutes to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    I don't really understand why people get in such a twist about the time change (on this side of the Atlantic too). It never seems to be such a big deal to me. In the US it is on a Saturday night / Sunday morning, and the times I go to bed and wake on the weekends usually vary by at least an hour (or more) depending on my weekend plans.

Personally, I prefer more daylight in the evening, rather than the morning, and give my druthers, would leave it on "summer" time (standard time in the US). But some people act like the whole thing is a crime against humanity.
    Well, studies suggest that people literally die because of the time change.

For myself, I find it an unnecessary hassle, particularly since my work involves communications with remote monitoring devices running embedded software, so keeping the network of devices in synchronization adds an extra headache (and confuses the data gathering by having some days that are 23 hours long while others are 25 hours long). My own recommendation would be to leave the clocks themselves unchanged, and that if businesses or schools want to adjust their schedule to take advantage of the varying schedule for sunlight, they should do so on an individual basis (particularly since, as PetersCreek notes, the amount of that seasonal change is very different at high latitudes than at low latitudes), perhaps coordinating with other local schools and businesses.
    Conserve energy. Commute with the Hamiltonian.

Back in college, a friend told me of a class he was taking with an extremely boring professor. It got to be so bad that at one point some of the students - when the professor was facing and fixated on the board - took to chucking erasers at the wall clock in the back of the room. When an eraser hit the clock it jumped ahead five minutes. This gave them the opportunity to end class early. "Uh, Professor, I guess we didn't hear the bell but we're five minutes over."

This worked nicely ... until the mid-term.

The professor passed out the tests and told everyone they had 50 minutes to finish. And that the test would count for 40% of their grade. They all started working on the test.

Thump. Thump. Thump.

They looked up to see the professor sitting on his desk beside a stack of erasers which he was chucking at the wall clock in the back of the room.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Well, in Hollywood they have these special clocks that slow down when the hero is defusing a time bomb.
    As above, so below

I took a class in a room with a seriously broken clock. If you put fresh batteries in it, it would spin about 1 hour every 5 minutes. It would do so until the batteries died. We were all relieved when the batteries died because it would make an annoying tick as it spun past the hour. Invariably, someone would come in to "fix" the clock with new batteries. Eventually, the clock ended up in a drawer.
    Solfe

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    In the old days there were colleagues who did not wear a watch and seemed to know the time by their internal biological clock. Now so many people have smart phones that they forego watches but not this time, clock time. So called real time chips are so cheap now that any device can include a clock and with IOT the network supplies time. Cameras are expected to date stamp images and now I have to worry about the delays in bluetooth transmission affecting synchronisation of data. The dictatorship of time is truly with us and we did it all to ourselves. It seems to me while clock time is useful in many cases we have passed the justification originally used to make clocks. The wonderful Harrison chronometers (they are a marvel for a mechanical engineer) greatly improved navigation by allowing lattitiude to be found but GPS does that now and if we lost GPS there are inertial devices accurate enough to sail the Atlantic. The concept of clocking in to measure work done is a bit of a laugh and now large companies use various performance indicators which should supersede that node crowding idea from the 1800 century. If we throw over the time tyrant we can plan our days more sensibly, but will it be possible? I fear the deadline has wormed its way into our society even as we invent our way out of type setting.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

During a particularly boring class in junior high, I remember watching the clock as they changed the master in the office, meaning the clock spun backwards and forwards as they synchronized.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

The universe is five trillion days old.

Standard or Daylight Saving days?
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Standard or Daylight Saving days?
    well the first days were a bit dark....stars had were only in the discussion stage about forming, and there was no real plan.....at a later point a few stars got their act together, at which point there was a bit of light........

How many Sols?
    Solfe