Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ripped Jeans?

Ripped Jeans?

Why ripped jeans? Some cost more than unripped jeans. Why are these modish?

Quote Originally Posted by gzhpcu View Post
    Why ripped jeans? Some cost more than unripped jeans. Why are these modish?
    Why is anything modish? People like what they like. Sometimes they're told what to like, so they like it. Other times they're told what not to like and they like it anyway. And if the designer name attached to a style or garment has cachet, people will pay more for it, even if it's just ripped up a little. That way, if they're asked if they ripped their jeans themselves, they can say, "No, these are from Jacque Deaux."
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

It's all fun and giggles until you need to use one as a makeshift life jacket.

Ripped jeans are a retro style harkening back to the 1960s hippie lifestyle, meaning you wore clothes making you look peasantish, like you worked hard or had a hard life BUT your were stylish, too (and maybe didn't need to work hard, just look like it). At least that is how I recall it. You could not wear ripped jeans at home with your parents about, as it implied they were too poor or lazy to properly clothe you in the 1960s, but if you were a rebel of sorts then perhaps it made you look daring, like you'd gotten the rips from action exploits on a motorcycle or something. I dunno.

Maybe like wearing a bomber jacket but you don't own or fly a bomber.
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

Maybe like wearing a bomber jacket but you don't own or fly a bomber.
    They didn't? Illusion #43 of my life ruined!

Fashion is cyclic; only the motivation behind a certain clothing style might change from iteration to iteration. The "hobo look" has been around for the hippies, in some 80's scenes and later the Grunge, and now it's back again. Funny thing is that eg Cobain's hobo clothes really were old, worn, thrift shop stuff, while eg Bieber's hobo clothes are intensely expensive.

I don't recall any interest in ripped jeans back then, it would have been seen as fake working jeans and we had plenty of regularly torn jeans instead.

We all liked the idea of bomber jackets, but even more so, pilot sun glasses, if you could earn the money to buy them.
    We know time flies, we just can't see its wings.

Nice to have cloths increasing in value with every wash cycle, should have saved one box of bell bottoms.

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    I don't recall any interest in ripped jeans back then, it would have been seen as fake working jeans and we had plenty of regularly torn jeans instead.

We all liked the idea of bomber jackets, but even more so, pilot sun glasses, if you could earn the money to buy them.
    You raise an interesting point: while torn jeans has been fashionable on multiple occasions in the past, were they available torn from the shop or did you have to DIY? The latest few waves of torn jeans hype had them like that in the shop; I don't know about before that.

60's-70's: worn by the lower class or those who did not want to be associated with the more "good, clean citizens":
    https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/11...g?v=1450878334
    80's-90's: pure fashion statement, taken over from mainly the punk scene before that, see above:
    https://i.pinimg.com/originals/36/c7...ed26365a2c.jpg
    interrippum: overly long jeans for that superb soaked/ran off look around the millennium (and we wore moonboots, so overly long was not to be underestimated):
    http://static.upcoming.nl/static/ima..._list-noup.jpg
    late 10's = 80's-90's revival, ie spending tons to look homeless:
    https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1i92.O...pg_640x640.jpg

And in between all that, you had the '70s "elephant" style jeans which returned in the early '10's, and of course also the eighties ultra-tight jeans and some "everything I wear is jeans, with a jeans jumpsuit and jeans coverall on top of that" periods. It's a busy job, being a fashionable jeans.

Why ripped jeans? Some cost more than unripped jeans.
    I don't get them
    Far away is close at hand in images of elsewhere...

It is trendy nowadays that is why it is expensive. I only have single ripped jeans.

I would have thought ripped jeans were once worn by poor people. Now affluent people wear them. Seems tasteless to me.

Ripped or unripped, stonewashed, bell bottom, jean cut, whatever: I would rather spend one month in prison than one week wearing jeans. Stiffer, more uncomfortable and much more unattractive than a constituency meeting of Conservative Party members. I view fashion as a brilliant scam to take advantage of those with poor self image.

I would have thought ripped jeans were once worn by poor people. Now affluent people wear them. Seems tasteless to me.
    "now" as in "for the past 50 years, off and on".

Quote Originally Posted by Eclogite View Post
    Ripped or unripped, stonewashed, bell bottom, jean cut, whatever: I would rather spend one month in prison than one week wearing jeans. Stiffer, more uncomfortable and much more unattractive than a constituency meeting of Conservative Party members. I view fashion as a brilliant scam to take advantage of those with poor self image.
    That being ranted, the advantage of buying a generic jeans is that it never goes in or out of fashion. It is the Michail Gorbatsjov of the fashion industry: you can destroy them with their own system.

The general idea isn't anything new at all. The Landsknechte were German mercenary soldiers in the 15th century. Because their fancy clothes would get slashed or torn in battle, it became the fashion to wear clothes that were deliberately slashed or torn, with the layer underneath pulled through. Or hose with mismatched legs (like you had to grab the left leg from a fallen enemy to replace yours when they were too tattered). Even if you weren't a tough infantryman, you could still look as outlandish as one. So the notion of wearing ripped clothing to look cool is older than you might think.
    Conserve energy. Commute with the Hamiltonian.

I've seen at least one pair of ripped jeans apparently designed to show off what the wearer didn't have on under them.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I've seen at least one pair of ripped jeans apparently designed to show off what the wearer didn't have on under them.
    IRL, I have a friend who is constantly baby sitting grand daughter, and she proclaimed that "she could see granny's panties". Shortly thereafter, a newer pair without the view of granny's panties.

I bought a pair of jeans a good few years back that were very comfortable. They were quite a bit more expensive than I would normally like to pay, but it was worth it for the extra comfort. I wore them so much they ended up with rips naturally occurring over time, just in time to be trendy now they are ripped. I now get more wear out of them than expected before they go in the trash. Winner all round!!!

If you have no accomplishments to be proud of then make a statement instead.

Perhaps you're hanging out with the wrong crowd of jeans. My favorites are from a workwear line that are gusseted and include a touch of Lycra for a little bit of give. No uncomfortable break-in period required.
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Please don't make political comments like that, even as a joke.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

My workplace allows you to wear jeans on special days, if you pay a dollar to the party fund. I have no jeans that would pass inspection, however, even if I hide in my office like a gopher burrow.
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

Now that it's been mentioned, I'm having a 'Casual Friday' wearing the aforementioned jeans to work. It's not really an official thing in my agency but...Alaska. We do things a little differently.

Not being a necktie kinda guy I was fortunate enough to be allowed to wear blue jeans and flannel shirts to work for over 30 years. Some jeans wore out quickly thanks to acids, bases, spattered reagents, etc, those lab jackets were a wee bit too short.

As long as you don't look like you're on a camping or worse, nobody cares what we wear to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    My workplace allows you to wear jeans on special days, if you pay a dollar to the party fund. I have no jeans that would pass inspection, however, even if I hide in my office like a gopher burrow.
    I've always found it so funny how jeans as a category are considered casual and unprofessional. I had a job in a museum where we couldn't wear jeans if we were with the public. But a coworker would wear ratty wrinkled khaki pants every day, that looked horrible next to my jeans. But that was within the dress code so she wasn't questioned.

I'm surprised the tatty dressing gown that looked like you'd hung around in a thousand space-ports look, didn't take off....

Nothing against jeans. Clean jeans are neat. But purposely faded and ripped? Still do not get it. Just like wearing them very low so that the Calvin Klein underwear logo shows...

Nothing against jeans. Clean jeans are neat. But purposely faded and ripped? Still do not get it. Just like wearing them very low so that the Calvin Klein underwear logo shows...
    I read that the low hanging trousers was prison chic, from when belts are taken away from prisoners so they couldn't kill themselves...or use them as weapons...