Thread: How do deal with a person who you think is Psychopath?

How do deal with a person who you think is Psychopath?

In the past I dealt with some one I think is or was Psychopath. He for instance didn't show any sympathy or empathy when I was dealing with a death in the family. He thought he was my supervisor or in charge of me when he was also just a student. He thought he had the right to make me "normal" according to what he thought was normal and didn't care about might happen, like trying to get me to drink booze while on anti-depressants. He really didn't plan much for the future like selling a textbook he might need next year. He become the leader of the physics society for the undergrads and one group wanted a fridge but all he wanted was to go to a brewery and only counted the people who agreed with him, selfishness.
    This is not listed but I left for a summer and then some people when I got back told me to "stop whining and complaining". And to try to fit in with him and some others I said some stuff I shouldn't and he told them. Also I tried to explain to some people including himself that when people got my nerves it affected my performance he just brushed it off as whining and complaining.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/ca/b...ing-psychopath
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    I have come across people like that but are they psychopaths or sociopaths? Both tend to be dangerous if challenged but can otherwise be both charming and effective in many other situations. I have also read about your question where the advice is to keep away, avoid and ignore. The ultimate danger is violence if one is seen as a danger and the typical failure to understand consequences makes violence both possible and excessive. Personally I would avoid any attempt to challenge or change such a person even in company.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

My mine strategy was tot ry to avoid him as much as possible.

AVOID. Many years of mental health work go into that one word. Ignore this advice at your peril.
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

Psychopaths or sociopaths?
    or just plain jerks, I'd avoid those close encounters too.

There was another word someone used to described it started with the letter "a" and can't be used on the board.

A reminder (yes this is in my moderator color). From Rule 1:

People will sometimes talk there about personal issues they are facing, but they should refrain from requesting or offering advice that is best dispensed by a medical, mental health, or legal professional.
    Please keep this discussion within the rules.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Just needed to vent.

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    In the past I dealt with some one I think is or was Psychopath. He for instance didn't show any sympathy or empathy when I was dealing with a death in the family. He thought he was my supervisor or in charge of me when he was also just a student.
    I'm not really sure, but I don't think that such a person would necessarily be a psychopath. I think it is very possible for a psychopath to express sympathy, though whether they feel it is different. It sounds more like the person you are describing is a bully type, who may understand other people's feelings but just be more concerned about himself... There are a lot of people like that who I don't think are psychopaths, just, well, yes somebody else said it, jerks.
    As above, so below

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    I'm not really sure, but I don't think that such a person would necessarily be a psychopath. I think it is very possible for a psychopath to express sympathy, though whether they feel it is different. It sounds more like the person you are describing is a bully type, who may understand other people's feelings but just be more concerned about himself... There are a lot of people like that who I don't think are psychopaths, just, well, yes somebody else said it, jerks.
    I think those jerks are narcissists. People who only care about themselves. As i understand a narcissist might also be a sociopath (conditioned by early life experiences) or a psychopath (born with a personality disorder) although all that is controversial. A bully might be different, low self esteem is mentioned. Standing up to a bully might work but standing up to a psychopath is dangerous. It would be important to get that distinction right.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

My little sister is a sociopath. I haven't voluntarily spoken to her since 1995, and that solution works for me. There are also people I know who are just plain jerks, and I avoid them, too.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

I going to try to take some time off here which is hard for me because this is one of the few social outlets I have at the moment. Yes there might be a link between this thread and me taking a break, or it could all be in my head. I have few projects that have to be started or done anyway. If you need to contact me there is a link to my blog below.

Here is the thing I should of stood up to this individual years ago, to bad cell phones weren't around back then recording him would of been easy. The ting that really cheeses me off about this person is that person thought he tell me the truth about my life. During the last conversation with him I said I might fix the log cabin me and my grandfather built. He told me what did we tell you that didn't happen. If he his lurking and trying to tell me what to think, he is not in charge of anything and his an astronomer out of many not the astronomer of everything.

I was having a discussion with a friend of mine once, he studied psychopathy while doing his Phd.. I said to him, i wonder if i have ever met one but did not know it..

And he said to me, i probably would of thought that they where nice and i would of liked them.. That has always stuck with me.
    Far away is close at hand in images of elsewhere...