Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Reminded That I Live in the Future

Yesterday, I received a notification of a news story about tsunami half way around the world. If I stick around on the board for a few minutes, someone who is in that region will likely give an update. Amazing.
    Solfe

My call center job was making reservations for hotels around the world including Phucket (gotta watch how you pronounce that one). The day the tsunami hit I was off and the rest of the people working the account accept for one called in sick because of a storm. All night long she got calls to cancel or people wondering what was going to happen to their reservations.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

In addition to the Windows computers and the ones in my pocket and her purse, we also have computers in:
    The car
    The furnace
    The water heater
    The generator
    The fridge
    The oven/microwave
    The septic system
    The thermostat

About half of those want me to connect them to the internet.

For Christmas, my niece gave me a little box to plug a lamp into so you can turn it on and off with your phone. From halfway around the world, if you want.

ETA: Oh, yeah, the "smart" TV. Which I heard was listening to everything you say and sending it back to Samsung. Mine isn't, because I didn't connect it.
    Last edited by Trebuchet; 2018-Dec-25 at 12:27 AM.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    In addition to the Windows computers and the ones in my pocket and her purse, we also have computers in:
    The car
    The furnace
    The water heater
    The generator
    The fridge
    The oven/microwave
    The septic system
    The thermostat

About half of those want me to connect them to the internet.

For Christmas, my niece gave me a little box to plug a lamp into so you can turn it on and off with your phone. From halfway around the world, if you want.

ETA: Oh, yeah, the "smart" TV. Which I heard was listening to everything you say and sending it back to Samsung. Mine isn't, because I didn't connect it.
    “Where are they all going to go? It’s not like you need a computer in every doorknob!”

“Years later, I went back to the same hotel. I noticed the room keys had been replaced by electronic cards you slide into slots in the doors. There was a computer in every doorknob.”
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

My employer has a sort-of electronic suggestion box.
    One of the recent suggestions that has gotten a lot of interest is to modify the automated meeting alerts. The complaint is that the shortest alert time, five minutes prior to the meeting, is too long.

Not too long ago, the thought that everyone's clocks would be so closely synchronized that a five minute warning would be "too long" would be considered absurd.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

It's 3 am on Boxing Day, I'm laying in bed on my phone and watching live view earth from space! https://youtu.be/4993sBLAzGA

Glom is offline Insert awesome title here
    When doing my masters, I did appreciate being able to do my reading lying on the couch with my 5mm thick pad and access the world's knowledge via ScienceDirect.

Also, a meme I can't find comparing the original Legend of Zelda to Breath of the Wild and their respective cartridges.

I was talking to my cousin in St Paul on a little box I was holding in my hand yesterday when something started beeping. It took me a minute or two to figure which of the various electronic noise devices it was. The dishwasher was done.

Your dishwasher is obsolete. It should have generated a notification on your hand-held device.
    Selden

Quote Originally Posted by selden View Post
    Your dishwasher is obsolete. It should have generated a notification on your hand-held device.
    It probably could if I let it. But I'm a guy, so haven't read the instructions.

Which reminds me, I need to go out and program the generator. And I'm not making that up.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    It probably could if I let it. But I'm a guy, so haven't read the instructions.
    In our house, my wife is the one who hasn't read the instructions. I read the instructions before I switch the damn thing on. (Why wouldn't you do that?)
    My wife once phoned me while I was sitting in the Accident & Emergency department with my 90-year-old mother, asking me how to get the TV to display the signal from the blu ray player.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    My wife once phoned me while I was sitting in the Accident & Emergency department with my 90-year-old mother, asking me how to get the TV to display the signal from the blu ray player.
    I suspect we could have an entire thread on spouses, significant others, and friends asking for assistance at inappropriate times and from inappropriate distances.

My wife once called me when I was on a business trip (she was in Ohio, I was in Texas - over 1500 km apart) to tell me there was a mouse in the house.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    I suspect we could have an entire thread on spouses, significant others, and friends asking for assistance at inappropriate times and from inappropriate distances.

My wife once called me when I was on a business trip (she was in Ohio, I was in Texas - over 1500 km apart) to tell me there was a mouse in the house.
    Oh. Oh. I have one of those.
    A colleague tells the story of a friend who worked in Indonesia, who came home to Scotland to marry, and whose new wife, on the flight to Indonesia (her first trip out of the UK), asked, "Are there any lizards in Indonesia? I'm frightened of lizards."
    Heart-sink.

So this turned out to be a Really Big Thing for her, to the extent she was entirely unnerved by geckos on the living room wall. Much counselling ensued, on the theme of, "They're more afraid of you than you are of them." And she seemed to kind of relax into it, after a while.

But on his first day back at work, she phoned him to say there was a lizard in the living room. To which he replied, "Remember what we discussed, just ignore it and it'll soon be gone."
    Twenty minutes, later, she phoned to say it was still there. "Remember what we discussed, just ignore it and it'll soon be gone."
    Another twenty minutes, another phone call, and: "Remember what we discussed, just ignore it and it'll soon be gone."

To which she replied, furiously, "I'm trying to ignore it, but it just knocked over the television."

Grant Hutchison
    Last edited by grant hutchison; 2018-Dec-27 at 12:35 AM.

A colleague tells the story of a friend who worked in Indonesia, who came home to Scotland to marry, and whose new wife, on the flight to Indonesia (her first trip out of the UK), asked, "Are there any lizards in Indonesia? I'm frightened of lizards."
    Heart-sink.

So this turned out to be a Really Big Thing for her, to the extent she was entirely unnerved by geckos on the living room wall. Much counselling ensued, on the theme of, "They're more afraid of you than you are of them." And she seemed to kind of relax into it, after a while.

But on his first day back at work, she phoned him to say there was a lizard in the living room. To which he replied, "Remember what we discussed, just ignore it and it'll soon be gone."
    Twenty minutes, later, she phoned to say it was still there. "Remember what we discussed, just ignore it and it'll soon be gone."
    Another twenty minutes, another phone call, and: "Remember what we discussed, just ignore it and it'll soon be gone."

To which she replied, furiously, "I'm trying to ignore it, but it just knocked over the television."

Grant Hutchison
    Hopefully she wasn’t going to Komodo...

Heart-sink.

Grant Hutchison
    My mother has the same mortal fear of lizards and had to similarly spend some time in SE Asia. It's funny because she also used to call my dad at work when she saw lizards in the house. I never understood her line of reasoning for calling my dad, what could he possibly do from an hour drive away?!

It seems like all logic and reasoning broke down by seeing a small lizard quietly hunting some mosquitoes on a wall.

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    Hopefully she wasn’t going to Komodo...
    Asian water monitor, I believe. But you wouldn't want to mess with one of those.

Grant Hutchison

The good news is: after a visit from one of those sweethearts, she might no longer be frightened of the smaller ones.

From the SpaceX thread:

Cameron County has posted public notice that it will close Highway 4 to Boca Chica Beach for space flight activities from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Wednesday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Well, 4 meters is not exactly the Karman line...

The future is behind you, watching everything you do.... in your own home.

https://www.nbcchicago.com/investiga...505113061.html
    Homeowner's Blood 'Ran Cold' as Smart Cameras, Thermostat Hacked, He Says. “Right as I approached the baby’s room, I heard a deep voice talking to him,” Sud said.

By Courtney Copenhagen and Katie Kim
    Published Jan 30, 2019 at 7:13 PM | Updated at 10:58 PM CST on Jan 30, 2019

---

https://www.azcentral.com/story/mone...me/2115698002/

Phoenix man says hacker talked to him through a Nest security camera in his home
    Agnel Philip, Arizona RepublicPublished 8:09 a.m. MT Dec. 3, 2018 | Updated 7:43 a.m. MT Dec. 20, 2018
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    Well, 4 meters is not exactly the Karman line...
    Yes, I’d consider that rocket testing and that, at least, seems old hat to me. That it potentially represents something like the type of future we were promised when I was young does feel important, though.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

It sure does. Those fifties style/children book rocket drawings are suddenly becoming more realistic than intended. The future...is now.

[intones in a deep voice] And the future is where you and I will spend the rest of our lives.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Time keeps slipping into the future.

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    Time keeps slipping into the future.
    Stuff that happened in 2009 is ten years ago now?!?!

Patrick Stewart (Captain Picard) was 47 when "The Next Generation" began. Wil Wheaton (Wesley Crusher) will be 47 this year.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Stuff that happened in 868 AD is 1151 years ago now.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

The song came out in 1976.
    https://youtu.be/c1f7eZ8cHpM

I live so far in the future I've forgotten how many interstellar vehicles the US has launched, I think it's five but maybe four or six.

FIVE! Found it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstellar_probe

Can't believe I had to look that up. I kinda thought there were six.