Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Robot vacuum cleaner?

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    Any possibility of putting a headlight on a Roomba?
    Penlight, duct tape
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Thanks, seems not to be as good as I thought it might be....

Quote Originally Posted by gzhpcu View Post
    I've seen one in action, and the boring video confirmed my impression of an endless random walk that revisited some places over and over again, but went blithely past areas that obviously needed vacuumed. (They're supposed to have a "dust detector" that makes them home in on areas that need a more thorough cleaning, but the one I watched almost seemed to deliberately steer around a patch of crumbs left by an errant child.)
    The sheer inefficiency of the approach to floor coverage would drive me insane, but I understand they're more energy efficient in the long run. I'm one of those rare people who actually enjoys vacuuming (and ironing, and washing dishes), so I doubt if my choices would match those of normal people, however.

Grant Hutchison
    Science Denier and Government Sponsored Propagandist. Here to help.
    Blog

Wouldn't do to have it follow Pigpen...
    I have no mouth yet I must dust...

Quote Originally Posted by BigDon View Post
    I had to come back from the dead to give this warning:

There is ONE drawback with the Roomba that a good friend of mine experienced.

Picture if you will, a large hardwood floor, a small dog with a "digestive issue", and a Roomba.

This turned out to be a very bad combination. It took days of cleaning before the room could pass "the sniff check" again as the Roomba acted like a very effective "frosting spreader".
    That is the opposite of "cleaner".
    Solfe

It reminds of a famous politician here in Canada. He said his first job on the farm was spreading manure and some say I still do it.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Under certain conditions, it can be useful. If you have no time to vacuum, for instance. But a human does it better.

We had company today and he noticed the Roomba. So I turned it on. He'd barely left when it demanded to be picked up and have its side wheels turned. I've no idea why.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    Under certain conditions, it can be useful. If you have no time to vacuum, for instance. But a human does it better.
    Yes, but a robot doing much of the work makes it less work for the human.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveC426913 View Post
    Yes, but a robot doing much of the work makes it less work for the human.
    Tending to the needs of a Roomba is work. And frustration with it adds to your burden too.

Googling, these reviews seem more positive... (making me uncertain...).... https://www.toptenreviews.com/home/v...roomba-review/

Tending to the needs of a Roomba is work. And frustration with it adds to your burden too.
    ?? What needs?
    It takes 30 seconds to clean its bin, and another 30 seconds to occasionally clean its brushes.

I'd say the brushes take more than that. They are doing better now that we don't have carpets, however.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

?? What needs?
    It takes 30 seconds to clean its bin, and another 30 seconds to occasionally clean its brushes.
    Turning it over when it falls down stairs, carrying it back to the charger when it dies, untangling the inevitable threads caught in the rollers.

Turning it over when it falls down stairs, carrying it back to the charger when it dies, untangling the inevitable threads caught in the rollers.
    I've never had one fall down the stairs. They're pretty good at that.
    Still, I'll take 30 seconds of fiddling with it over the 20 minutes it knocks off the housework. But YMMV.

(Off topic: I guess there is a lot of subjectivity in how one places value on their time. I do not believe in coupons or loyalty cards. My friends think I have an aversion to saving money. I tell them I save brain power, without having to have a brain-clerk that cuts coupons and tracks points.)
    Last edited by DaveC426913; 2018-Dec-15 at 07:11 PM.

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Googling, these reviews seem more positive... (making me uncertain...).... https://www.toptenreviews.com/home/v...roomba-review/
    The most fun is to be the designer, accept the mechanism and design your own controller. Add a speaker so that when it hits a chair it can shout Oops! Or Sorry! When it hits the cat. Nowadays with Arduino or Pie that’s a starter project!
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Anybody have any experience with them? Am thinking of getting an Roomba iRobot for my wife. How good are they? Thanks
    Robotic vaccums are far better but the actual game is to find out the suitable vacuum cleaner. I personally love deebot m80 but it may not work properly for you. you should go through the review to find out the best vacuum. Roomba does not work well for my friend and he switched to dyson after that that's i am suggesting to read reviews before making any decision. Hope it helps

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    The sheer inefficiency of the approach to floor coverage would drive me insane, but I understand they're more energy efficient in the long run.
    Not sure if it's about energy efficiency. I think they probably concluded very early in the logic design that no economical AI could efficiently cover a room. There are too many variables, and I don't think it's actually aware of the room's geometry, except locally.

Not really sure how it knows what areas it hasn't covered. Does it map out the room, or is it simply - as you say - a random walk? I imagine the algorithm is a closely-guarded secret.
    (Or not. It's open source code. There are myriad sites online that will teach you how to reprogram your own Roomba in .. C+ ... ? I was tempted to see if I could get it to write my name on the living room floor.)

Interestingly, different products use different algorithms:

https://www.gearfuse.com/robotic-vac...sure-pictures/

Last edited by DaveC426913; 2018-Dec-16 at 09:08 PM.

So the jury is out. Looks like I might have to bite the bullet...

They make hilarious pets, BTW. do everything pets do.
    - Busted a framed picture, then tried to eat the glass (I hung a Shaming Sign around its neck and posted it all over social media)
    You prolly thought I was kidding.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12376442_10153730797735520_7938378597389764022_n.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	101.8 KB 
ID:	23859   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12366443_10153730797690520_3675463353644555323_n.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	94.4 KB 
ID:	23860  

Why invest all that money in a robot vacuum cleaner? Close all windows and doors. Use compressor to bring the room to a healthy 3-4 bars overpressure. Open 1 door if that hasn't happened spontaneously already. Done.

But my vacuum always mess up with e i have to monitor it becuase it get stuck in solid objects. That's i prefer to do it by myself

Quote Originally Posted by blackmart12 View Post
    But my vacuum always mess up with e i have to monitor it becuase it get stuck in solid objects. That's i prefer to do it by myself
    How does it get stuck? It will get caught up in cords and blankets. I pick them up before running it.

You can get accessories that will prevent it from going places you don't want it to go, such as under the stereo where all the cords are.

Cat saddle not included.

25. 2019-May-07, 01:46 PM

Update, my family got a Roomba. We have various health and time issues that make it a viable decision. Still, I'm the one who has to tend to it, clean it, carry it up and down stairs, untangle strings and such from its rollers.