Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 55

Thread: Robot vacuum cleaner?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lugano, Switzerland
    Posts
    7,375

    Robot vacuum cleaner?

    Anybody have any experience with them? Am thinking of getting an Roomba iRobot for my wife. How good are they? Thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Posts
    10,227
    I do not have one but I have seen them in friend's houses. They work, they are amusing, cats and dogs find them disturbing but I guess they get used to them over time except when they are asleep on the carpet! When compared to hand held they are not good with dropped objects, spiders, anything higher than the floor and best for large flat unoccupied areas.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    21,464
    Wait. You vacuum up spiders?

    Grant Hutchison
    Science Denier and Government Sponsored Propagandist. Here to help.
    Blog

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nowhere (middle)
    Posts
    39,923
    My family has used them. We don't, anymore. That should tell you my opinion of them.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Posts
    10,227
    Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Wait. You vacuum up spiders?

    Grant Hutchison
    the robot does.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    The Great NorthWet
    Posts
    17,833
    We've got a Roomba, which my wife has named "Rosie". Haven't used her much. The dust collection bin is TINY.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    21,464
    Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    the robot does.
    Freakishly calm spiders, in that case.

    Grant Hutchison
    Science Denier and Government Sponsored Propagandist. Here to help.
    Blog

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lugano, Switzerland
    Posts
    7,375
    Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    We've got a Roomba, which my wife has named "Rosie". Haven't used her much. The dust collection bin is TINY.
    I noticed that the most expensive Roomba model has extra space for dust collection. Any reason why you have not used it much?

  9. #9
    The cats are probably having to much fun with it.
    https://youtu.be/mk4XB2wZqF4
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    21,464
    I just watched an eight-minute YouTube video, posted by a Roomba fan, in which the thing endlessly cycles over the same bits of floor, cleverly avoiding going anywhere near the couple of scraps of paper that mar an otherwise pristine expanse. I watched it all the way through because the damn thing was supposed to eat a spider at some point. It passed over a tiny spider without harming it, and then the video poster picked up the Roomba and set it down on top of the spider. The video was shot at too close range to actually see what happened to the creature at that point.

    What would prompt a person to film a Roomba for eight minutes, and post it online? (Part of me is afraid the video is actually just a highlight from a much longer recording.)

    Grant Hutchison
    Science Denier and Government Sponsored Propagandist. Here to help.
    Blog

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lugano, Switzerland
    Posts
    7,375
    Just wondering if anyone actually has one and uses it...

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Posts
    9,038
    Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Freakishly calm spiders, in that case.

    Grant Hutchison
    They make vacuums specifically for vacuuming up unwanted bugs in the house. Sucking up spiders off the wall or floor is actually not too difficult with one, though obviously not as easy a a speck of dust.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    The Great NorthWet
    Posts
    17,833
    Rosie is running right now, thanks to the reminder from this thread. I should really try to do that every day. I do have to close the door to the pantry because otherwise she makes her way in there and spills the cat water.
    Not sure why we haven't used her that much, probably because she's mostly a novelty rather than an effective tool.
    They do have one with a large dust bin connected to the dock, into which the special Roomba empties itself. It's pretty expensive. And obtrusive looking.

    Pretty soon she'll park herself under something and proclaim "Please Charge Roomba". The battery is not so good, probably because of too much time sitting on the charger instead of running.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    The Great NorthWet
    Posts
    17,833
    Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    I just watched an eight-minute YouTube video, posted by a Roomba fan, in which the thing endlessly cycles over the same bits of floor, cleverly avoiding going anywhere near the couple of scraps of paper that mar an otherwise pristine expanse. I watched it all the way through because the damn thing was supposed to eat a spider at some point. It passed over a tiny spider without harming it, and then the video poster picked up the Roomba and set it down on top of the spider. The video was shot at too close range to actually see what happened to the creature at that point.

    What would prompt a person to film a Roomba for eight minutes, and post it online? (Part of me is afraid the video is actually just a highlight from a much longer recording.)

    Grant Hutchison
    There's a whole series of videos of a cat, in a costume, riding around on a Roomba. There are also a duck and a costumed dog in them.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    21,464
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    They make vacuums specifically for vacuuming up unwanted bugs in the house. Sucking up spiders off the wall or floor is actually not too difficult with one, though obviously not as easy a a speck of dust.
    Yeah, I think it's probably easy enough to whisk a spider off the wall or floor with a suction device - there is, after all, a device called a "pooter" used by entomologists to sample insects in just that way.
    But we're talking about a slow-moving device crawling along the floor towards a creature that is exquisitely sensitive to vibration under its feet. It just feels like the spiders would need to collude at their own destruction. I think I need to see some epidemiology on Roomba spider ingestion episodes.

    Grant Hutchison
    Science Denier and Government Sponsored Propagandist. Here to help.
    Blog

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    21,464
    Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    There's a whole series of videos of a cat, in a costume, riding around on a Roomba. There are also a duck and a costumed dog in them.
    Yeah. Cat/duck/dog/costume. The unadorned Roomba is pretty boring. Or so it seems to me.

    Grant Hutchison
    Science Denier and Government Sponsored Propagandist. Here to help.
    Blog

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Clear Lake City, TX
    Posts
    13,217
    I suggested to The Wife that we should get a Roomba just to see how the pets would react. "Simple. One cat would ride around on it, two would run from it, one would treat it with bored disdain. And the dog would kill it."

    I think she nailed it.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

    You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

    Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    The Great NorthWet
    Posts
    17,833
    Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Pretty soon she'll park herself under something and proclaim "Please Charge Roomba". The battery is not so good, probably because of too much time sitting on the charger instead of running.
    I KNEW I should have closed the door to the guest room. Died under the bed, about 3/4 of the way toward the head, the least accessible location possible.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    The Great NorthWet
    Posts
    17,833
    Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Yeah. Cat/duck/dog/costume. The unadorned Roomba is pretty boring. Or so it seems to me.

    Grant Hutchison
    Hmmm, sexy French maid costume for a Roomba. Works for me!

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I suggested to The Wife that we should get a Roomba just to see how the pets would react. "Simple. One cat would ride around on it, two would run from it, one would treat it with bored disdain. And the dog would kill it."

    I think she nailed it.
    Our cats just continued to sleep under the quilt.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lugano, Switzerland
    Posts
    7,375
    Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I KNEW I should have closed the door to the guest room. Died under the bed, about 3/4 of the way toward the head, the least accessible location possible.
    Thanks for testing it. But is it effective? How long does it run once loaded?

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,890
    Just to add another household which had one - a surprise gift from my Mother-in-Law - and was not impressed with its abilities. It soon broke down and was not missed.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lugano, Switzerland
    Posts
    7,375
    Beginning to sound like it is hype snd does not deliver...

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    5,912
    Roombas work best on perfectly even hardwood floors in homes maintained by OCD people with no children.

    However, think of the hacking potential for mechanical and electronic parts.
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lugano, Switzerland
    Posts
    7,375
    We have wall-to-wall carpets...

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,641
    Quote Originally Posted by gzhpcu View Post
    Just wondering if anyone actually has one and uses it...
    I have two. (Well, only one functioning.) The first lasted a good five years or so. It would still work - there's just a problem with the charger.

    I let it loose every week or so. It is not as efficient as a person, but it's not a bad supplement.

    My wife does not like it. She says it cleans "like an angry teenager who wants to go out".


    They make hilarious pets, BTW. do everything pets do.
    - Dragged a "turd" out from under the couch, and left it in the middle of the living floor. (Turned out it was a lump of art gum eraser, once I got close enough to check.)
    - Stole my slipper right out from under my feet and dragged it out into the hall.
    - Busted a framed picture, then tried to eat the glass (I hung a Shaming Sign around its neck and posted it all over social media)
    - Stole my car keys from the living room and dragged them into the kitchen, hiding them out of sight underneath the refrigerator, while I tore apart the house top to bottom for 16 hours.
    - Went missing for three days - while I tore the house apart to top bottom looking for it. (My main floor is less than 1000sq ft. That's some pretty impressive hiding skills.) I eventually found it in the Man Cave, under the hide-a-bed - curled up in a soft, fuzzy blankie.



    BTW, mine has its name right on it:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	roomba.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	15.3 KB 
ID:	23846  
    Last edited by DaveC426913; 2018-Dec-13 at 06:12 PM.

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    5,912
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveC426913 View Post
    BTW, mine has its name right on it:
    Don't buy spot remover.
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    The Great NorthWet
    Posts
    17,833
    Quote Originally Posted by gzhpcu View Post
    Thanks for testing it. But is it effective? How long does it run once loaded?
    Not sure what you mean by "loaded". If you mean charged, probably 1/2 hour. It should be longer, but the battery is bad. She's supposed to remember where the dock is and go back and charge herself. That doesn't generally happen.

    As R.E. Moore says, they are probably most effective on hardwood, which we now have. I've got her running again now. I forgot to empty the bin after yesterday so we'll see how much we get today. For today's run, I put out the infrared barrier things to keep her out of the guest/office wing and the master wing so she'll just be staying in the central block. She gets into too much trouble otherwise.

    DaveC: Are you sure you don't have a cat?
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    12,235
    I had to come back from the dead to give this warning:

    There is ONE drawback with the Roomba that a good friend of mine experienced.

    Picture if you will, a large hardwood floor, a small dog with a "digestive issue", and a Roomba.

    This turned out to be a very bad combination. It took days of cleaning before the room could pass "the sniff check" again as the Roomba acted like a very effective "frosting spreader".
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    The Great NorthWet
    Posts
    17,833
    Yikes!
    One thing we've been surprised to notice in the new house is cats not barfing as much. Don't know if that's causation or coincidence.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    5,912
    Any possibility of putting a headlight on a Roomba?
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •