Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: The Cat Thread

Periodically I can't resist the urge to pick up one of ours and hold and pet her, even though I know she doesn't like it. The other one loves it.
    The first one is now in the recliner with me, down between my knees under a blanket. Because she told me it was time to do that!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Mouse is currently resting on my leg, which is surprising--morning is usually The Great Kitten Battle Hour.

Irene has been letting the cats out, which she knows full well she is not supposed to do. However, Min is smart enough to know that my window is open, and if she comes and meows under it, I will hear her and let her back in.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

This morning, I was scratching Mouse under his chin. I moved my hand away, and he decided he wasn't done. So he pulled my hand back with his paws. Min is prone to carrying things in her mouth, alas including my pins when she can get to them.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

My cat, Orange, loves to be brushed, especially on the chin, top of head, etc. If she is somewhere in the room and I hold up the brush where she can see it, she will run over. If she can reach it, she will grab it, pull it towards her, and seems to try to brush herself. If I’m sitting, she will run over and jump in my lap and push her face into the brush. When I’m brushing, she will try to help, again sometimes pulling on the brush so it looks like she is doing the work. Of course, she doesn’t have the fine control necessary. I’ve wanted to do a video but it’s hard to capture.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Pretty much in the middle, and a little way up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    My cat, Orange, loves to be brushed, especially on the chin, top of head, etc. If she is somewhere in the room and I hold up the brush where she can see it, she will run over. If she can reach it, she will grab it, pull it towards her, and seems to try to brush herself. If I’m sitting, she will run over and jump in my lap and push her face into the brush. When I’m brushing, she will try to help, again sometimes pulling on the brush so it looks like she is doing the work. Of course, she doesn’t have the fine control necessary. I’ve wanted to do a video but it’s hard to capture.
    That sounds like Ambrosia - an earlier cat. She was a jet-black British Blue with gigantic copper eyes; possibly the most beautiful cat I've ever seen. My mother named her - she was her cat, but Mother isn't a good cat owner. Brosie was a scared, skittish creature who lived under the dresser or TV. Mother thought the way to deal with nervous cats was to let them be nervous; it's just her nature.
    When she came into my possession, Brosie instantly ran under the couch and stayed there for several days, coming out only to eat. BUT - she had to deal with the horrible indignity of being picked up CONSTANTLY. If Ambrosia ever got within my clutches she'd be hauled into the air, flipped over and carried baby-like while she squirmed. Brosie had exactly the same took of indignant disgust as the female cat in all Pepe LePew cartoons - her huge eyes were so expressive.
    Over time, Ambrosia realized that being carried was not the horror she thought it was. That cuddling could be pleasant - that she didn't have to be alone. I still remember her first tentative purr, held close to my chest, my fingers stroking her lovely ears. "P...uh. Pppp...pp."
    Before long she'd burrow into my lap, utterly relaxed with a purr that registered on the Richter scale.

At some point, Brosie fell in love with my hairbrush. It was one of those round plastic ones with bristles all the way around - and I never worried about whose hair it was brushing; mine or hers. All I needed to do was hold it, and she'd brush herself; rubbing the brush and purring like a thunderstorm.
    She took possession of the brush - she'd leap up onto the bathroom sink, knock it off with her paw then trot happily out to the front room with it in her mouth. She'd then flop over with the handle in her arms, and scrub her cheeks all day before falling asleep, holding the brush like a teddy bear.
    I let her have it - and got a new brush. That was fine for a week or so, then she took the new brush. I melted a bit when I realized that she loved it not just for the lovely scrubbing bristles, but because it had my scent.
    She's been in cat heaven 20 years now. God, I miss her.
    Last edited by NorthernDevo; 2020-Jul-19 at 10:15 PM.
    "The difference between theory and practice is that in theory, there's no difference."

"Aikido: the art of hitting people with planets."

Aww.
    Over at the trekbbs there is a nice feline follies thread at the miscellaneous page.
    One was a pet shaming sign around one poor cat that read:

“I’ve just been fed—my meows are lies”