Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: The Cat Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Now it's just the two Ragdolls.
    Excuse me, it's time to go sit with the cat.
    You really need to get eight more cats. Trust me on this.

[cough]
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

Research suggests cats can recognize their name. Which reinforces the notion that they just ignore us unless they want something.

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/...heir-own-names

On of ours, a Very long-haired Himmalyan, hated being groomed. She knew all the bad words--brush, comb, mat, etc. Also "eyes", because they ran and she didn't like having them cleaned.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

My wife spells out certain words to avoid upsetting the cats, like "v-e-t" and "t-r-e-a-t" (the latter to keep them from running amok).

I think our cat is afford of bees. One day while sitting with him in the lawn chair a bee came buzzing by and he went into hiding finally went into the house.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    My wife spells out certain words to avoid upsetting the cats, like "v-e-t" and "t-r-e-a-t" (the latter to keep them from running amok).
    Years ago in the UK, we had some friends who had a dog that picked up and went beserk on hearing that magic word “Walk”, so they did the same - “I’ll take him for a W-A-L-K”

Didn’t take long for the very clever dog to pick up on this, and go berserk as soon as it heard just the first couple of letters being said : “go out for a W-A- ooof !!”

So they eventually decided it wasn’t worth the effort, and went back to saying the whole word .... which would have been fine, except back then there was an airline called TransWorld Airlines. Their TV ads always ended with the jingle :

“come fly t-W-A !! “

They hated that ad !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In our old (mobile) home one of the kitties found a place she liked to hide out and snooze -- behind the towels in a cabinet in my bathroom. Well that place is gone so she's had to find a new spot in the new house -- behind the towels in a cabinet in my bathroom. Didn't take her long, either.

Little Rosie Rockett, one of our last little rescues, has this week ventured out of her back room voluntarily and is exploring the house. On top of this, she has decided she is going to sleep with my wife and I, even if it means chasing off many of the other cats who regularly have slept with us.

Chaos has ensued. It was resolved last night with tiny Rosie sleeping on our feet, and four other cats sleeping by our heads, with one major chase scene all over the place that woke us up yelling and hollering.

Despite all this, my hat is off to Rosie, who is one tough little girl.

This morning the cat scared itself, it jumped up on a vacuum cleaner right on the on switch. Then the vacuum cleaner turned on and the cat went running the other way.

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    This morning the cat scared itself, it jumped up on a vacuum cleaner right on the on switch. Then the vacuum cleaner turned on and the cat went running the other way.
    And then straightened up and gave you the "I meant to do that" look! They are really good at that.

Having trouble naming your new cat? Try a neural network programmed to create new cat names, like Mister Sinister.

https://www.cnet.com/news/this-ai-ne...-they-deserve/

Rosie Rockett, now loose in the house with the other cats, has turned into a "real" cat. She walked all over me this morning, head-bumping my hands and rubbing her face all over me. I played with her for a while even though I desperately wanted to go back to sleep. She's had a terrible life, glad she can now play and get affection like the other cats.

I've got a friend with a huge maine coon for 1 year or even more. Once I saw him being fed with mussels! Seafood! Come on! And it was just a regular meal.. While I eat wrapped sausages and noodles on special occasions(

Unhappy

My wife just called. Rosie Rockett ran away.

Hope she comes back. She did not like our other cats, though.

I'm sorry
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

She's gone.

The other nine cats here are doing a fine job of being annoying, helping us cope with the loss of one.

Our most recent acquisition, little Cleopatra Josophine, has become a bit of a pudge from eating nonstop as she follows me around. She has daddy issues, apparently from her previous home. She is very dense, weight-wise, heavier than she looks.

She's gone.
    She is back. She was living under the house the whole time.

Stupid cat.

Glad she's back.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Grant Hutchison, I agree with you a pet can't forget their owners. If they lost they always try to find their own owners. My younger sister likes the pet and she has a cat as a pet. Once, her cat was lost and after 1 and half month when she find her (pet) she was seeming as she is so happy to see her.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Glad she's back.
    Yes.
    Driving their humans crazy is just an added benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    Yes.
    Driving their humans crazy is just an added benefit part of the job description.
    Fixed it.

(I walked into the den last night and found my wife sitting in her chair with one cat stretched out along the back of the chair behind her, another curled up on the arm of the chair beside her, and a third cat curled up on the arm of the couch near to her. Passive intimidation.)
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Looks like Rosie will be an outdoor cat for the time being. She is very clever. Groan.

Smile

Guess who we caught and have safely back inside the house? ROSIE ROCKETT. She didn't fight it much when she was grabbed. She looks like she's had enough of the outdoors for now. Immediately treated for bugs, but no visible fleas.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KIMG0907.JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	557.4 KB 
ID:	24397  

Thimk

Guess who we caught and have safely back inside the house? ROSIE ROCKETT. She didn't fight it much when she was grabbed. She looks like she's had enough of the outdoors for now. Immediately treated for bugs, but no visible fleas.
    Very nice picture. Thank you. Rosie is obviously, in the bet of cat tradition, thinking hard. About . . . nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by John Mendenhall View Post
    Very nice picture. Thank you. Rosie is obviously, in the bet of cat tradition, thinking hard. About . . . nothing.
    On her favorite chair.

Every time I get up out of off the couch this happens today.
    https://twitter.com/DavidLPFairweat/...35463982067712

Yesterday morning, 3 a.m.: youngest cat Shadow (AKA Direct-Action Kitty) deposits an avocado in the middle of our bed. At least we know where she got it, although it does seem like an awkward thing to bring the full length of the house.

This morning: plastic jar formerly containing cat treats found on floor of kitchen, with screw-top off and jar empty. Still puzzled how she managed that. She has gotten into the pantry for these, certainly egged on by Fluffiest Cat Houdini watching from the sidelines and ready to take over chewing into any bags that might be batted onto the floor. We're now putting them in large snap-top plastic buckets.

Quote Originally Posted by ngc3314 View Post
    Yesterday morning, 3 a.m.: youngest cat Shadow (AKA Direct-Action Kitty) deposits an avocado in the middle of our bed. At least we know where she got it, although it does seem like an awkward thing to bring the full length of the house.

This morning: plastic jar formerly containing cat treats found on floor of kitchen, with screw-top off and jar empty. Still puzzled how she managed that. She has gotten into the pantry for these, certainly egged on by Fluffiest Cat Houdini watching from the sidelines and ready to take over chewing into any bags that might be batted onto the floor. We're now putting them in large snap-top plastic buckets.

Maybe she wanted you to make her some late night guacamole. I would have loved to see video of a cat carrying an avocado around.

Maki has manged to get into the pantry where the cat treats are and chew open bags of them (she did this most recently a couple of weeks ago) but she has yet to unscrew one. I do recall a cartoon from many years ago entitled "If cats had thumbs". You can imagine the destruction.

While I was eating breakfast this morning Maki had an attack of "the crazies" and was running around the house at full speed, attacking various objects along the way (she more typically does that late evenings). Five minutes later she is curled up on the kitty tower asleep.

Quote Originally Posted by ngc3314 View Post

You should reload that jar, make her go hungry, and film her Houdini behavior. It would make a great video.
    We know time flies, we just can't see its wings.