Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: Lion Air Flight 610 Crash

Glom is offline Insert awesome title here
    The FAA needs breaking up clearly. It will require a Congressional enquiry that ends up echoing the Cullen Report into Piper Alpha. Lord Cullen said a major factor that led Piper to becoming so bad was that regulation was schizophrenic. The Department of Energy was responsible for both promoting North Sea exploitation as well as regulating its safety. That had to change so an outcome was the Department of Energy was broken up with the HSE taking over safety while the promotion bit was handed over to some economic/business department that has had more regenerations since then than the Doctor.

I'm not so sure that breaking up the FAA would preclude a large player from cheating again; it was done recently by Boeing, but it's also been done by GE (they did not do their bird ingestion tests on the CF-6, the engine on the DC-10, but used "similarity" from the engine on the C-5, which had a similar core but a completely different fan). I'm sure that there are other occurrences. The FAA's regulatory model works best with smallish companies run by people who actually believe that human life is more important than the bottom line; it fails when the companies are willing spend more money bribing politicians donating to political campaigns than not killing people.
    Information about American English usage here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

How do things fly? This explains it all.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

Not strictly relevant to the topic but still Boeing.

The new 777x has folding wingtips, apparently to allow it to use normal gates but still get enough lift from the wings. These wingtips fold up.

Surely a better failsafe would have been to have the tips fold down as needed. That way if something breaks in flight the plane will still have enough lift to fly, as the air would keep the tips in the up position.

Thoughts?

Too close to the ground. Could run into service vehicles, etc. The pilot wouldn't be able to see them.
    Folding wingtips were an option on the 777 when it was first introduced, to allow it to fit into gates used by 767's. Nobody bought it.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

I can see the potential issues when on the ground. I just hope they have a good plan for a failure. I would imagine they have potential buyers lined up or the plane would not have got this far.

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Maximum lift is at take off, after that a failed folding wing tip would be unlikely to crash the plane. I guess such a failure is less likely than turbine surge during take off, birdstrike or runway debris. As a passenger, it’s best not to know too much! Until this debacle I thought the safety testing of aircraft was exemplary, as a past aircraft apprentice this has shaken my confidence because it was not new materials, new designs or new atmosphere conditions, just suppression of well established safety procedures.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

The Prime Directive:
    No single failure, or combination of failures more probable than one in a billion flight hours, may result in a catastrophic accident.

I'm pretty sure a wingtip failure on takeoff would be catastrophic, so they'll have been working VERY hard to prevent it.

Naval aviation has been using folding wings for decades. That includes Boeing-designed aircraft.

They know how to it right, if they choose to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by headrush View Post
    I can see the potential issues when on the ground. I just hope they have a good plan for a failure. I would imagine they have potential buyers lined up or the plane would not have got this far.
    A number of naval aircraft -- most notable the F-8 Crusader -- have taken off and landed with its wings folded. See, for example, https://www.flightjournal.com/f8-wings-folded/
    Information about American English usage here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

Quote Originally Posted by swampyankee View Post
    A number of naval aircraft -- most notable the F-8 Crusader -- have taken off and landed with its wings folded. See, for example, https://www.flightjournal.com/f8-wings-folded/
    Cool story, thanks for the link.

Mentour Pilot has an interesting podcast regarding the change of culture at Boeing and the decisions that led to the 737-Max.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_zn_x2JK5Q
    Last edited by Extravoice; 2020-Feb-01 at 02:09 AM.

The bad news never stops coming - -
    https://www.theguardian.com/business...rounded-planes

Now there's debris in the fuel tanks of the max. By debris they mean old rags and metal shavings from during production.
    Quality stuff.

They've had the same problem with the 767 tanker.

All

I see several posts with links that have little or no description of what is contained in them. We frown on this. Please at least give a one sentence description, or a small quote, from each link you post.

Thanks,
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

QUOTE: "A brand-new Boeing 737 Max gets built in just nine days. In that time, a team of 12,000 people turns a loose assemblage of parts into a finished $120 million airplane with some truly cutting-edge technology: winglets based on ones designed by NASA, engines that feature the world’s first one-piece carbon-fiber fan blades, and computers with the same processing power as, uh, the Super Nintendo.

"The Max has been grounded since March 2019, after some badly written software caused two crashes that killed 346 people. And while Boeing has received plenty of scrutiny for its bad code, it’s the Max’s computing power — or lack thereof — that has kept it on the ground since then."

The hardware was kept simple to reduce error. But the software cannot be fixed simply because the hardware is too simple.

QUOTE: "Boeing could have fixed this aerodynamic anomaly with a hardware change: “adaptive surfaces” on the engine housing, resculpted wings, or even just adding a “stick pusher” to the controls that would push on the control column mechanically at just the right time. But hardware changes added time, cost, and regulatory scrutiny to the development process. Boeing’s management was clear: avoid changes, avoid regulators, stay on schedule — period."

ALSO: "Though an FAA certification flight for the Max has yet to be scheduled, Boeing said in January that it could resume Max flights by June or July of this year. But the company hasn't said whether the coronavirus pandemic, which has caused it to shut down its factories, might affect that schedule."
    Last edited by Roger E. Moore; 2020-Apr-14 at 03:41 PM.
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    QUOTE: "A brand-new Boeing 737 Max gets built in just nine days. In that time, a team of 12,000 people turns a loose assemblage of parts into a finished $120 million airplane with some truly cutting-edge technology: winglets based on ones designed by NASA, engines that feature the world’s first one-piece carbon-fiber fan blades, and computers with the same processing power as, uh, the Super Nintendo.

"The Max has been grounded since March 2019, after some badly written software caused two crashes that killed 346 people. And while Boeing has received plenty of scrutiny for its bad code, it’s the Max’s computing power — or lack thereof — that has kept it on the ground since then."

The hardware was kept simple to reduce error. But the software cannot be fixed simply because the hardware is too simple.

QUOTE: "Boeing could have fixed this aerodynamic anomaly with a hardware change: “adaptive surfaces” on the engine housing, resculpted wings, or even just adding a “stick pusher” to the controls that would push on the control column mechanically at just the right time. But hardware changes added time, cost, and regulatory scrutiny to the development process. Boeing’s management was clear: avoid changes, avoid regulators, stay on schedule — period."

ALSO: "Though an FAA certification flight for the Max has yet to be scheduled, Boeing said in January that it could resume Max flights by June or July of this year. But the company hasn't said whether the coronavirus pandemic, which has caused it to shut down its factories, might affect that schedule."
    What about using a single vulnerable sensor? That’s already unforgivable... No warning light?.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    What about using a single vulnerable sensor? That’s already unforgivable... No warning light?.
    Article on proposal to use two sensors, but Europe is not buying off on it.
    https://www.industryweek.com/leaders...ing-max-return

Article on proposal to use two sensors, but Europe is not buying off on it.
    https://www.industryweek.com/leaders...ing-max-return
    The standard trouble with two, is knowing which is wrong. Three is better, but only two sides to the plane!
    sicut vis videre esto

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    Naval aviation has been using folding wings for decades. That includes Boeing-designed aircraft.

They know how to it right, if they choose to.

As an aside, of the serving naval aircraft, only the F-18E/F can be considered a Boeing product, and it's based on a McDonnell/Douglas design. Before this aircraft, the last Boeing-designed carrier aircraft to enter service was the F4B, a biplane in the 1920s.

Quote Originally Posted by swampyankee View Post
    As an aside, of the serving naval aircraft, only the F-18E/F can be considered a Boeing product, and it's based on a McDonnell/Douglas design. Before this aircraft, the last Boeing-designed carrier aircraft to enter service was the F4B, a biplane in the 1920s.
    F-18 is actually based on the Northrop YF-17! Somehow the government made them turn it over to McDonnell.

Boeing will open soon, but no one wants its jets. Or any jets.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/18/busin...rus/index.html

Boeing will open soon, but no one wants its jets. Or any jets.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/18/busin...rus/index.html
    Well that's for commercial jets. Boeing also makes military jets. So it will be possible to attack the virus.
    A: "Things that are equal to the same are equal to each other"
    B: "The two sides of this triangle are things that are equal to the same"
    C: "If A and B are true, Z must be true"
    D: "If A and B and C are true, Z must be true"
    E: "If A and B and C and D are true, Z must be true"

Therefore, Z: "The two sides of this triangle are equal to each other"

The military hasn’t been too happy with Boeing’s offerings of late, either.

https://www.defensenews.com/air/2020...paying-for-it/

It’s the same problem from the top, replacing engineering with schedule discipline. It is well established that the only way to predict reliability is to test. This can mean with any new design, iteration, change, test again. Schedules can get lost. My rule of thumb from being in development is actual time is six times reasonable predicted time! Sometimes you can get away with field correction, with aircraft, that’s a very dangerous gamble.
    sicut vis videre esto

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    The military hasn’t been too happy with Boeing’s offerings of late, either.

https://www.defensenews.com/air/2020...paying-for-it/

How rare is that firm that can keep all of its customers unhappy at once.
    A: "Things that are equal to the same are equal to each other"
    B: "The two sides of this triangle are things that are equal to the same"
    C: "If A and B are true, Z must be true"
    D: "If A and B and C are true, Z must be true"
    E: "If A and B and C and D are true, Z must be true"

Therefore, Z: "The two sides of this triangle are equal to each other"

It's the legacy of Jack Welch, who destroyed a great company without ever working there. Several companies, in fact.

Europe’s top aviation regulator said he’s satisfied that changes to Boeing Co.’s 737 Max have made the plane safe enough to return to the region’s skies before 2020 is out, even as a further upgrade his agency demanded won’t be ready for up to two years.
    https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/a...tion-regulator

But...

The FAA must act before EASA and other agencies around the world can lift the grounding, under international law.

And the FAA is about to approve the 737 Max return to service...not that many folks are flying.

Exclusive: FAA in final stages of Boeing 737 MAX review; could approve as early as Nov. 18
    https://reut.rs/3n2g2Iy

Yes, it’s amusing how quickly this went from a major news item to pretty much a “Who Cares?” Item. Well, I suppose it is still important to Boeing, anyway.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser