Results 1 to 29 of 29

Thread: Is the universe an error bubble?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    45

    Is the universe an error bubble?

    We are life, stuck to a rock, in our suns gravity well.
    Alone, as far as the eye can see.

    Maybe not alone, maybe surrounded by similar.

    As the universe moves, life is never never free.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nowhere (middle)
    Posts
    37,689
    We are life, swimming in energy and water, thriving on nutrients and oxygen, cocooned from pervasive cosmic radiation by gas and magnetism, in a Universe otherwise cold, dark, empty, and vastly inhospitable.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    45
    I wonder is this not the “normal state of play”, or maybe life is just the green stuff that clings to the turtles back ������

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    We are life, swimming in energy and water, thriving on nutrients and oxygen, cocooned from pervasive cosmic radiation by gas and magnetism, in a Universe otherwise cold, dark, empty, and vastly inhospitable.
    Well said! ���� agree totally, just spouting nonsense as usual! ��

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    45
    The universes expands when it is new.
    The “Big Fast Leak”

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    45
    what does the largest scale structure of the universe look �� like?
    �� looks like a big splat to me.

    Obviously an error bubble of some sort ������

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    45
    Humour gets lost with no emojis unfortunately

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nowhere (middle)
    Posts
    37,689
    Quote Originally Posted by alromario View Post
    what does the largest scale structure of the universe look �� like?
    �� looks like a big splat to me.

    Obviously an error bubble of some sort ������
    Tell that to Jackson Pollock.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    Tell that to Jackson Pollock.
    “thumbs up” emoji! ������

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nowhere (middle)
    Posts
    37,689
    Quote Originally Posted by alromario View Post
    “thumbs up” emoji! ������
    To find Forum emojis, hit "reply", find the "go advanced" button. Emojis are on the side of the advanced screen, or click on the "more" button.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    The beautiful north coast (Ohio)
    Posts
    49,842
    What is an error bubble? Is that like a 3D error bar? What is the standard deviation of the universe?

    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

    All moderation in purple - The rules

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    NEOTP Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    3,196

    Is the universe an error bubble?

    Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    To find Forum emojis, hit "reply", find the "go advanced" button. Emojis are on the side of the advanced screen, or click on the "more" button.
    Well perhaps on a full PC / browser. But many users rely on Tapatalk on their smartphones and those emojis arenít available that way. And emojis through the smartphone may or may not translate well.
    Smile
    Sad
    Frown
    Wine
    Camel

    Etc....

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by schlaugh; 2018-Oct-08 at 02:01 AM.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nowhere (middle)
    Posts
    37,689
    Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    Well perhaps on a full PC. But many users rely on Tapatalk on their smartphones and those emojis aren’t available. And emojis through the smartphone may not translate well.
    Smile
    Sad
    Etc....

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    You can always ASCII your way through.

    : + ) =

    ; + ) =

    : + ( =

    etc.

    Old school!
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    The Wild West
    Posts
    9,494
    Quote Originally Posted by alromario View Post
    Is the universe an error bubble?
    No, but it could be a vacuum pocket decaying out of an ongoing background superluminal inflation.

    Quote Originally Posted by alromario View Post
    As the universe moves, life is never never free.
    Au contraire, alro! Surmised by Guth and others, the universe is the ultimate free lunch. And besides, living on Earth may be expensive, but it includes an annual free trip around the Sun.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nowhere (middle)
    Posts
    37,689
    Quote Originally Posted by Cougar View Post
    And besides, living on Earth may be expensive, but it includes an annual free trip around the Sun.
    On my birthday, no less!
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nowhere (middle)
    Posts
    37,689
    Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    Well perhaps on a full PC / browser. But many users rely on Tapatalk on their smartphones and those emojis aren’t available that way. And emojis through the smartphone may or may not translate well.
    Smile
    Sad
    Frown
    Wine
    Camel

    Etc....

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    It translates just fine!

    You said (in Emoji), "I have mixed feelings about getting my camel drunk."


    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nowhere (middle)
    Posts
    37,689
    Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    What is an error bubble? Is that like a 3D error bar? What is the standard deviation of the universe?

    I think it's a coding term.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    The Valley of the Sun
    Posts
    9,807
    Our universe is the box where God puts defective creations that He intends to fix later, and then never gets around to it.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nowhere (middle)
    Posts
    37,689
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    Our universe is the box where God puts defective creations that He intends to fix later, and then never gets around to it.
    I'm having flashbacks to my Dad trying to build a doll house for my 6 year old sister. He gave up and threw it out when she left for college...
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Clear Lake City, TX
    Posts
    12,925
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    Our universe is the box where God puts defective creations that He intends to fix later, and then never gets around to it.
    The kitchen junk drawer. I can see that.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

    You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

    Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

  21. #21
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    8,188
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    The kitchen junk drawer. I can see that.
    The '56 Chevy in the n ...

    No, the canoe in the backyard, 65% done for the past 7 years

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    45
    Has anyone looked at the acceleration of the universe and compared that to the speed of say - an unburstable soap bubble, does dark energy get really big in the same way a bubble gets big after the initial bubble has expanded.
    When a soap bubble expands rapidly and then pops, what would happen if it couldn’t pop. How fast would it go?
    Interested if the universe is expanding like a bubble, or is this already a given mathematically and obvious. Thanks.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    19,380
    But soap bubbles don't expand rapidly. Once formed, they stay the same size, and pop because they lose water from the soap film, either by evaporation or by redistribution under gravity.

    Grant Hutchison

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    45
    Thanks, sounds correct, makes sense.

    If I re-frame the question.

    I have watched soap bubbles pop. I have noticed a run-away effect of the bubble running out of water/ soap and then bursting. I can remember seeing the rainbow like effect on the bubble looking like it is moving faster and faster before it pops. The rainbow doesn’t change much, but you can tell that the bubble liquid layer is moving at a faster and faster rate. I hope that makes sense.

    Is this run-away rate of change in anyway analogous to the way the universe is expanding?

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Posts
    9,166
    I am not sure about the universe but did you know soap bubbles were, maybe still are, used to examine stress raisers in complex beam shapes? You make a wire form of the section, however complex, and form a soap bubble, gently inflated. At all points of attachment the angle of the film at the wire represents the stress raiser, or stress.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    The beautiful north coast (Ohio)
    Posts
    49,842
    Quote Originally Posted by alromario View Post
    Thanks, sounds correct, makes sense.

    If I re-frame the question.

    I have watched soap bubbles pop. I have noticed a run-away effect of the bubble running out of water/ soap and then bursting. I can remember seeing the rainbow like effect on the bubble looking like it is moving faster and faster before it pops. The rainbow doesn’t change much, but you can tell that the bubble liquid layer is moving at a faster and faster rate. I hope that makes sense.

    Is this run-away rate of change in anyway analogous to the way the universe is expanding?
    alromario

    This does not seem an appropriate topic for OTB (Off Topic Babbling). You seem to wish a serious discussion of this topic, so I'm moving it to Q&A. However, Q&A is for seeking mainstream answers to one's questions. Please do not use it to advocate non-mainstream ideas.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

    All moderation in purple - The rules

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    45

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    alromario

    This does not seem an appropriate topic for OTB (Off Topic Babbling). You seem to wish a serious discussion of this topic, so I'm moving it to Q&A. However, Q&A is for seeking mainstream answers to one's questions. Please do not use it to advocate non-mainstream ideas.

    Thanks, but Iím really not treating this as a serious question.
    Itís only just a question of how fast is the acceleration of the expansion of the universe, compared to other things found in nature. I have no idea, itís not exponential i reckon. ? I havenít even checked this out before asking, canít be? And does that rate have any relatable value already found in nature? That sort of question. I find after a few glasses of wine the questions are not great. Still standing by this question though. The acceleration will be known, and probably something that also happens elsewhere?

    Not reviewing this. I will not be offended by the post being ignored.

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Falls Church, VA (near Washington, DC)
    Posts
    9,018
    The acceleration is vanishingly gradual compared with accelerations we routinely observe here on Earth.

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,625
    Quote Originally Posted by alromario View Post
    Thanks, but I’m really not treating this as a serious question.
    It’s only just a question of how fast is the acceleration of the expansion of the universe, compared to other things found in nature. I have no idea, it’s not exponential i reckon. ? I haven’t even checked this out before asking, can’t be? And does that rate have any relatable value already found in nature? That sort of question. I find after a few glasses of wine the questions are not great. Still standing by this question though. The acceleration will be known, and probably something that also happens elsewhere?

    Not reviewing this. I will not be offended by the post being ignored.
    The colours on the surface of a soap bubble are from interference. It is related to the thickness of the bubble relative to the wavelengths of light.
    A very tiny change in thickness can result in a change in colour through the visible spectrum.
    You are not seeing a movement of any actual thing across the bubble.

    Analogously, waves in the ocean can be transmitted far, far faster than any water particles can move - in a tsunami, for example, a wave can be transmitted at up to 500mph.
    But no water particle is moving more than a few mph.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •