Thread: Which podcasts do you listen to and what are they about?

Which podcasts do you listen to and what are they about?

The title says it all!
    I will start first. Currently, my favorite podcast Mile Higher Podcast- conspiracy theories, space, government, etc. There are still new currently it's their 8th episode but I enjoy listening to them.
    What about you?

Anything UT and CQ,

Why? Responsible programming, good speakers, topics of interest,

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    I listen to one "art of the float" its relevant to my interests, float tanks. But also bbc "from our own correspondent" and " in our time" and "the life scientific" if i cannot listen at live broadcast. Also from pbs Garrison Keillor in days past..oh and another from bbc "crossing continents" i especually like in our time you can get to all the many previous episides on such a wide range of subjects, science, histofy, people, etc.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Here is a thread wit a lot of podcast suggestions.
    https://forum.cosmoquest.org/showthr...hlight=podcast
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Write now, Finn Dwyer’s Irish History podcast (I’m not Irish), the Revolutions podcast, Wait, Wait, Don’t Tell Me, and Ask Me Another
    Information about American English usage here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

How do things fly? This explains it all.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

Quote Originally Posted by astrotimer View Post
    Here is a thread wit a lot of podcast suggestions.
    https://forum.cosmoquest.org/showthr...hlight=podcast
    I will check it out, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by swampyankee View Post
    Write now, Finn Dwyer’s Irish History podcast (I’m not Irish), the Revolutions podcast, Wait, Wait, Don’t Tell Me, and Ask Me Another
    Oh, I know about Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me, and Ask Me Another. A friend of mine said that it is a lot of fun and chilled out

I don't really get podcasts. Information density so low that I begrudge the time that I could have spent reading a book, but sufficiently high that I'm too distracted to do anything useful at the same time.

Grant Hutchison
    Science Denier and Government Sponsored Propagandist. Here to help.
    Blog

Whoops !

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    I don't really get podcasts. Information density so low that I begrudge the time that I could have spent reading a book, but sufficiently high that I'm too distracted to do anything useful at the same time.

Grant Hutchison
    They are nice in the background while you are eating. Just don''t get food on the keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by John Mendenhall View Post
    They are nice in the background while you are eating. Just don''t get food on the keyboard.
    Ah. I don't get "background while eating" either.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Laughed Out Loud (Coffee On My Keyboard)

Ah. I don't get "background while eating" either.

Grant Hutchison
    Sitting at your desk, computer at hand, eating bag lunch. Podcasts make good background noise. Lots better than reading last month's financial statement.
    Last edited by John Mendenhall; 2018-Mar-08 at 02:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by John Mendenhall View Post
    Sitting at your desk, computer at hand, eating bag lunch. Podcasts make good background noise. Lot's better than reading last month's financial statement.
    Nah. Eating time is for eating. I'm a serial mono-tasker.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Another great BBC podcast is More or Less where they analyses statistics and other numbers in the news.

Grant Hutchison
    I tend to agree. I used to listen while driving to work. Now I am months behind on the only one I listened to regularly. I just don’t have the time (or inclination) to just sit and listen.

Grant Hutchison
    I like to play them on headphones while I load, unload, and fold my laundry (or at home, empty the dishwasher). For simple, dull tasks like that, it's just enough of an external stimulus to be interesting but not enough to be distracting.

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    I like to play them on headphones while I load, unload, and fold my laundry (or at home, empty the dishwasher). For simple, dull tasks like that, it's just enough of an external stimulus to be interesting but not enough to be distracting.
    Oh, no. I listen while a drive.
    Solfe

Grant Hutchison
    Podcasts are good for my commute, which is two hours each way, mostly by train.
    Information about American English usage here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

How do things fly? This explains it all.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    Oh, no. I listen while a drive.
    Yeah. A couple of decades ago, my job plan once involved a one-hour drive, there and back, once a week. I thought I'd improve my French by listening to a teaching CD while I drove. After a year, my French was no better and my driving was much worse.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    Wow. You must do a lot of laundry. I'd manage a few minutes a week on that regimen. And I rather enjoy the mindfulness that comes with washing dishes by hand (and ironing), so that's not going to work for me, either.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Most of daytime I just listen to podcast and in the evening it is mostly is tv depending what is on.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

I like Scott Manley's YouTube channel. I think his background is computers, but he does a lot of stuff on space exploration, general science topics, and science fiction oriented gaming. I've enjoyed his stuff about Kerbal Space Program and I don't even play with it.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

I enjoy listening to podcasts while I am going to work or go back home, while cleaning, washing dishes, cooking, etc. I want a huge fan of podcasts but recently I am obsessed I feel like I can't do anything if I don't have a background noise going on.

I've listened to podcasts regularly since 2005. Over the years, I have subscribed to many. It's sad to say goodbye to a podcast I like after years of enjoyment, but it's sometimes necessary to clear the way for new ones.

The ones I truly look forward to hearing every time are...
    Slate's Political Gabfest
    Comedy Bang Bang
    Planet Money
    First 15 minutes of Savage Love

I've been listening to The Best and Worst of Disney and The Dis Unplugged. I have had a non-optional break from work, so it kills the time.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by swampyankee View Post
    Funny, in the time this thread has been going, some of these podcasts have come to an end. Revolutions will wrap up soon.
    Solfe

I forgot or didn’t notice this thread was here. I don’t listen to a lot of podcasts, but sometimes i like to hear someone talking when I’m cleaning things up in the house, etc. Other times, other podcasts I use when I want to try to sleep, it’s something I can focus on with the lights off. I’ve been trying some story type podcasts that remind me of old radio shows (which I mostly am aware of because of some I downloaded from archive.org - I’ve listened to some from the ‘50s).

The Edge of Sleep is a fantasy apocalyptic show where people go to sleep and don’t wake up. I liked season one for the most part, but the end didn’t really wrap up the current story properly. It turns out they are doing a second season (they didn’t say anything about another season at the end of the first, it just stopped) so maybe they’ll clear up some things.

Futility Closet has some interesting real discussion of historical events, and other things.

I’m trying some other podcasts I might mention later. I listened to a very interesting recent political one, but sadly can’t mention it here.
    Last edited by Van Rijn; 2021-Jul-03 at 09:51 AM.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    All BBC : the Life Scientific, in Our Time, from our own correspondent, americast (now paused), crossing continents, more or less, all educational.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G