Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Flat Earther With Rocket

I guess the flat Earth can be fatal.
    ETA: I saw this Sunday Morning, this morning.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

How could the chutes tear off at launch? Backups also failed.
    Last edited by Roger E. Moore; 2020-Feb-23 at 07:30 PM.
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

IIRC, Evil Kneval's Snake River Canyon "jump" failed due to his parachute deploying at launch.

That's a little depressing. I know he was a stuntman and all, but this end is very unfortunate.
    Solfe

Who are the other two groups of people trying for the amateur suborbital shot?

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    It is claimed he did not believe the "flat earth" thing, using it as part of his stunt.
    Wow. Which is sadder, dying for the stupid idea you believe in, or dying for the stupid idea you pretend to believe in?

Would a few video cameras aboard the ship How Dumb Does it Get not have accomplished the same thing? For some reason there had to be a live (not for long) human?
    A: "Things that are equal to the same are equal to each other"
    B: "The two sides of this triangle are things that are equal to the same"
    C: "If A and B are true, Z must be true"
    D: "If A and B and C are true, Z must be true"
    E: "If A and B and C and D are true, Z must be true"

Therefore, Z: "The two sides of this triangle are equal to each other"

The narrative then is that he wanted to see it with his own eyes, not through a (fisheye) lense. Anyway, not implausible that he just used the flat earth hook to fund his hobby stunt. Especially since that target height was ridiculous for the purpose. Any regular plane would have taken him 8 times higher, a USD 20k joyride in a Russian jet would have taken him to 16-20km. Any hike to a local mountain could have taken him to his target altitude. If he had been a bit sooner to the game, during 2000-2006 there were MiG-25 and MiG-31 stratosphere flights available which went an impressive 28km up. Those were the days. (those not familiar with MiGs: the MiG-25 and 31 basically are a baby SR71, in other words an insane beast of a jet with nothing flying today to compare it to.)
    With sufficient thrust, water towers fly just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    The narrative then is that he wanted to see it with his own eyes, not through a (fisheye) lense. Anyway, not implausible that he just used the flat earth hook to fund his hobby stunt. Especially since that target height was ridiculous for the purpose. Any regular plane would have taken him 8 times higher, a USD 20k joyride in a Russian jet would have taken him to 16-20km. Any hike to a local mountain could have taken him to his target altitude. If he had been a bit sooner to the game, during 2000-2006 there were MiG-25 and MiG-31 stratosphere flights available which went an impressive 28km up. Those were the days. (those not familiar with MiGs: the MiG-25 and 31 basically are a baby SR71, in other words an insane beast of a jet with nothing flying today to compare it to.)
    Apparently you can take a MIG-29 to over 22 km high and see the curvature. It's just not cheap.
    https://www.flyfighterjet.com/edge-of-space-flight

Quote Originally Posted by 21st Century Schizoid Man View Post
    Wow. Which is sadder, dying for the stupid idea you believe in, or dying for the stupid idea you pretend to believe in?
    It seems more likely that he was just a thrill seeker, and just wanted to do dangerous things, like car jumps and rocket launches. I think that for some people, doing things like that makes their epinephrine flow and then they get exhilarated for having survived. It's like bungee jumping but without the security of knowing that you'll be OK.
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyboysdontknow View Post
    Apparently you can take a MIG-29 to over 22 km high and see the curvature. It's just not cheap.
    https://www.flyfighterjet.com/edge-of-space-flight
    That 22km isn't guaranteed, you get at least 17km. I've done over 12km a 777, which granted isn't enough to really see the curvature but for a few hundred $ you can't complain. Concorde flew at 18km though and you could see the curvature. I've been in Concorde several times but we never got higher than its parking spot in the museum... The MiG29 experience must be a lot of fun, but I find it too expensive for what you get. At the same time, I understand it'd be hard to make cheaper, given the cost of getting that thing in the air.
    With sufficient thrust, water towers fly just fine.

So, if we’d only kept building SSTs, we wouldn’t have to deal with Flat Earthers?
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    So, if we’d only kept building SSTs, we wouldn’t have to deal with Flat Earthers?
    Somehow, I doubt that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    Originally Posted by KaiYeves
    Somehow, I doubt that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    What Extravoice said. Our years of experience here have clearly demonstrated that CTers, particularly hard core ones, are immune to facts.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

I mean, flat earthers are immune to every piece of evidence thus far, much of which is considerably easier to access than SST.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    It is claimed he did not believe the "flat earth" thing, using it as part of his stunt.

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...illed-in-stunt
    Just a small clarification, what that article said is that he does believe the Earth is flat, but making and launching homemade rockets had nothing to do with his belief and wasn't why he was building them.

In the past, Hughes said he believed the Earth was flat, with some publications stating his launches were aimed at seeing the Earth's curvature for himself. In August 2019, however, Hughes told Space.com that his flat-Earth belief was not his launch motivator. He was simply a daredevil, pushing the envelope of homemade rockets, Hughes said.
    I personally can't wait for the conspiracies to roll in that he was getting too close to the REAL truth and so was silenced by the Round Earth Activist Lobby Indoctrinating Tomorrow's Youth (R.E.A.L.I.T.Y.).

Quote Originally Posted by Dave241 View Post
    Just a small clarification, what that article said is that he does believe the Earth is flat, but making and launching homemade rockets had nothing to do with his belief and wasn't why he was building them.
    This article says the same thing. He did it for the thrills.

https://www.space.com/mad-mike-fatal...th-theory.html

Quote Originally Posted by Dave241 View Post
    ... the Round Earth Activist Lobby Indoctrinating Tomorrow's Youth (R.E.A.L.I.T.Y.).
    Run outta hot water in the shower comin' up with that one didja?

Quote Originally Posted by DaveC426913 View Post
    Run outta hot water in the shower comin' up with that one didja?
    Lol. Nah, it just helps to have a boring job.