Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 61 to 78 of 78

Thread: Flat Earther With Rocket

  1. #61
    I guess the flat Earth can be fatal.
    ETA: I saw this Sunday Morning, this morning.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4,916
    How could the chutes tear off at launch? Backups also failed.
    Last edited by Roger E. Moore; 2020-Feb-23 at 07:30 PM.
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    2,023
    IIRC, Evil Kneval's Snake River Canyon "jump" failed due to his parachute deploying at launch.

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Depew, NY
    Posts
    12,217
    That's a little depressing. I know he was a stuntman and all, but this end is very unfortunate.
    Solfe

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4,916
    Who are the other two groups of people trying for the amateur suborbital shot?
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    200
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    It is claimed he did not believe the "flat earth" thing, using it as part of his stunt.
    Wow. Which is sadder, dying for the stupid idea you believe in, or dying for the stupid idea you pretend to believe in?

    Would a few video cameras aboard the ship How Dumb Does it Get not have accomplished the same thing? For some reason there had to be a live (not for long) human?
    A: "Things that are equal to the same are equal to each other"
    B: "The two sides of this triangle are things that are equal to the same"
    C: "If A and B are true, Z must be true"
    D: "If A and B and C are true, Z must be true"
    E: "If A and B and C and D are true, Z must be true"

    Therefore, Z: "The two sides of this triangle are equal to each other"

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    15,784
    The narrative then is that he wanted to see it with his own eyes, not through a (fisheye) lense. Anyway, not implausible that he just used the flat earth hook to fund his hobby stunt. Especially since that target height was ridiculous for the purpose. Any regular plane would have taken him 8 times higher, a USD 20k joyride in a Russian jet would have taken him to 16-20km. Any hike to a local mountain could have taken him to his target altitude. If he had been a bit sooner to the game, during 2000-2006 there were MiG-25 and MiG-31 stratosphere flights available which went an impressive 28km up. Those were the days. (those not familiar with MiGs: the MiG-25 and 31 basically are a baby SR71, in other words an insane beast of a jet with nothing flying today to compare it to.)
    With sufficient thrust, water towers fly just fine.

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    The narrative then is that he wanted to see it with his own eyes, not through a (fisheye) lense. Anyway, not implausible that he just used the flat earth hook to fund his hobby stunt. Especially since that target height was ridiculous for the purpose. Any regular plane would have taken him 8 times higher, a USD 20k joyride in a Russian jet would have taken him to 16-20km. Any hike to a local mountain could have taken him to his target altitude. If he had been a bit sooner to the game, during 2000-2006 there were MiG-25 and MiG-31 stratosphere flights available which went an impressive 28km up. Those were the days. (those not familiar with MiGs: the MiG-25 and 31 basically are a baby SR71, in other words an insane beast of a jet with nothing flying today to compare it to.)
    Apparently you can take a MIG-29 to over 22 km high and see the curvature. It's just not cheap.
    https://www.flyfighterjet.com/edge-of-space-flight

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    14,435
    Quote Originally Posted by 21st Century Schizoid Man View Post
    Wow. Which is sadder, dying for the stupid idea you believe in, or dying for the stupid idea you pretend to believe in?
    It seems more likely that he was just a thrill seeker, and just wanted to do dangerous things, like car jumps and rocket launches. I think that for some people, doing things like that makes their epinephrine flow and then they get exhilarated for having survived. It's like bungee jumping but without the security of knowing that you'll be OK.
    As above, so below

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    15,784
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyboysdontknow View Post
    Apparently you can take a MIG-29 to over 22 km high and see the curvature. It's just not cheap.
    https://www.flyfighterjet.com/edge-of-space-flight
    That 22km isn't guaranteed, you get at least 17km. I've done over 12km a 777, which granted isn't enough to really see the curvature but for a few hundred $ you can't complain. Concorde flew at 18km though and you could see the curvature. I've been in Concorde several times but we never got higher than its parking spot in the museum... The MiG29 experience must be a lot of fun, but I find it too expensive for what you get. At the same time, I understand it'd be hard to make cheaper, given the cost of getting that thing in the air.
    With sufficient thrust, water towers fly just fine.

  11. #71
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    16,588
    So, if we’d only kept building SSTs, we wouldn’t have to deal with Flat Earthers?
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

  12. #72
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    No longer near Grover's Mill
    Posts
    5,323
    Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    So, if we’d only kept building SSTs, we wouldn’t have to deal with Flat Earthers?
    Somehow, I doubt that.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

  13. #73
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    The beautiful north coast (Ohio)
    Posts
    50,000
    Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    Originally Posted by KaiYeves
    So, if we’d only kept building SSTs, we wouldn’t have to deal with Flat Earthers?
    Somehow, I doubt that.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    What Extravoice said. Our years of experience here have clearly demonstrated that CTers, particularly hard core ones, are immune to facts.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

    All moderation in purple - The rules

  14. #74
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    31,440
    I mean, flat earthers are immune to every piece of evidence thus far, much of which is considerably easier to access than SST.
    _____________________________________________
    Gillian

    "Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

    "You can't erase icing."

    "I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

  15. #75
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    150
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    It is claimed he did not believe the "flat earth" thing, using it as part of his stunt.

    https://www.latimes.com/california/s...illed-in-stunt
    Just a small clarification, what that article said is that he does believe the Earth is flat, but making and launching homemade rockets had nothing to do with his belief and wasn't why he was building them.

    In the past, Hughes said he believed the Earth was flat, with some publications stating his launches were aimed at seeing the Earth's curvature for himself. In August 2019, however, Hughes told Space.com that his flat-Earth belief was not his launch motivator. He was simply a daredevil, pushing the envelope of homemade rockets, Hughes said.
    I personally can't wait for the conspiracies to roll in that he was getting too close to the REAL truth and so was silenced by the Round Earth Activist Lobby Indoctrinating Tomorrow's Youth (R.E.A.L.I.T.Y.).

  16. #76
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4,916
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave241 View Post
    Just a small clarification, what that article said is that he does believe the Earth is flat, but making and launching homemade rockets had nothing to do with his belief and wasn't why he was building them.
    This article says the same thing. He did it for the thrills.

    https://www.space.com/mad-mike-fatal...th-theory.html
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

  17. #77
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,630
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave241 View Post
    ... the Round Earth Activist Lobby Indoctrinating Tomorrow's Youth (R.E.A.L.I.T.Y.).
    Run outta hot water in the shower comin' up with that one didja?

  18. #78
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    150
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveC426913 View Post
    Run outta hot water in the shower comin' up with that one didja?
    Lol. Nah, it just helps to have a boring job.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •