Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: Marketing Spin

oh yeah, SimpliSafe home security products.
    the commercial representative is a guy who admits, to being a thief? and not a reformed thief.

maybe they should show him in prison, lamenting that he was caught because of SimpliSafe.

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    I was reading a website that I frequent, when an ad popped up for boots. It said that these boots are “preferred by free thinkers.”

I had a Star Trek “Norman coordinate” moment after reading it. If I’m a free thinker, I should buy them. But, if I buy them, I’ll be following a trend and not be a free thinker.

Reminds me of Steve Martin's Non-Conformist Oath.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Glutomoto View Post
    oh yeah, SimpliSafe home security products.
    the commercial representative is a guy who admits, to being a thief? and not a reformed thief.

maybe they should show him in prison, lamenting that he was caught because of SimpliSafe.
    He's called Robert Larson. Robert = Robber. Larson = Larceny. Cute, huh?
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Another security company claims that locking your credit report is not sufficient, and you need them to monitor other things, such as your personal info for sale on “the dark web”.

Okay, what am I supposed to do differently if they find it for sale?
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    He's called Robert Larson. Robert = Robber. Larson = Larceny. Cute, huh?
    I believe he spells it Robbert.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

I just suffered through a TV commercial hawking a coin.

Most of the commercial talks about the most recent gold coin minted by the US government (maybe twenty years ago?) and how it is now very valuable.
    They then, very smoothly, shift to talk about a replica coin they are selling. It looks just like the original, but is plated in 14 mg of pure gold. The"original" selling price was to be $50, but they will sell it to you for only $19.99.

A quick calculation indicates that the coin contains 85¢ worth of gold.

So buy today!

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    I just suffered through a TV commercial hawking a coin.

Most of the commercial talks about the most recent gold coin minted by the US government (maybe twenty years ago?) and how it is now very valuable.
    They then, very smoothly, shift to talk about a replica coin they are selling. It looks just like the original, but is plated in 14 mg of pure gold. The"original" selling price was to be $50, but they will sell it to you for only $19.99.

A quick calculation indicates that the coin contains 85¢ worth of gold.

So buy today!
    Ah, but the coin underneath is the real (replica of) treasure!
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

I just received the original and still ultimate king of marketing spin: the lottery. "With this ticket you win at least €2, guaranteed!". But the ticket is 3€? "You WIN at least 2€!". Oh, ok...
    With sufficient thrust, water towers fly just fine.

A loudspeaker at the 99¢ Store said their associates would greet customers with a smile. I asked the checkstand girl how I could verify this. She had no answer. I guess they plug in the usual phases without bothering to think.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    A loudspeaker at the 99¢ Store said their associates would greet customers with a smile. I asked the checkstand girl how I could verify this. She had no answer. I guess they plug in the usual phases without bothering to think.
    As the Mafia goons said to the witness, "Service with a smile!"

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    As the Mafia goons said to the witness, "Service with a smile!"
    I haven't been in a K-Mart in a long time but they always had a sign on the register that said "TYFSAK". "Thank You For Shopping At K-Mart."
    If I had to work there I'd need a reminder too.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I haven't been in a K-Mart in a long time but they always had a sign on the register that said "TYFSAK". "Thank You For Shopping At K-Mart."
    If I had to work there I'd need a reminder too.
    How long have they done that? I don’t remember seeing it, and am wondering if they started after I stopped going there or if I just didn’t notice. In my area, nearby K-marts closed quite a few years ago, and there were similar/better options close by for years while they were still open.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    How long have they done that? I don’t remember seeing it, and am wondering if they started after I stopped going there or if I just didn’t notice. In my area, nearby K-marts closed quite a few years ago, and there were similar/better options close by for years while they were still open.
    I probably haven't been in one in at least 20 years, Target (pronounced "tar-jzay") being a far more pleasant experience. It was therefore decades ago that I noticed the sign.

Target (pronounced "tar-jzay")
    "The Bouquet Residence" flashback intensifies... But I understand "Target" was a surname and not the word? Never knew that.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    But I understand "Target" was a surname and not the word? Never knew that.
    I'm not sure it is true.

But I understand "Target" was a surname and not the word? Never knew that.
    According to Wikipedia, "The name "Target" originated from Dayton's publicity director, Stewart K. Widdess, and was intended to prevent consumers from associating the new discount store chain with the department store."

That doesn't necessarily mean that it's the word and not somebody's surname, but sure does seem to suggest it.

For what it's worth, though, the founder of Taco Bell was a guy named Glenn Bell, so that actually is an eponym and not the musical instrument (despite using the musical instrument in their branding).

And, of course, Taco John's was founded by a person named John Turner - but he just called it "Taco House". The people who bought it from him (neither of whom was named John) changed the name to Taco John's after the fact in recognition of him.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Never heard of Taco John's, but there's a Roscoe's Tacos around.

"The Bouquet Residence" flashback intensifies... But I understand "Target" was a surname and not the word? Never knew that.
    "Tar-zhay" is an old joke, "Frenchifying" the pronunciation.

Regionally, there used to be a department store chain called The Bon Marche. This led to K-Mart being called "K-Marche".

Not really marketing spin, but I’ve noticed that major prescription medicine TV ads have each chosen a color scheme to match their logo.

For example, with a blue logo will not-so-subtly include it in people’s clothing, vehicles, buildings, etc.

As for prescription medications having logos, that belongs in the “things I don’t get” thread.

I've previously mentioned a company called "Fracture", which prints your photos on glass. This morning I noticed their website, fractureme.com. No thanks, been there, done that!

I wanted to buy a product from fractureme .com, but I'm broke.

Hey, no wise cracks.

Where the heck is the "like" button!